T Nation

Advice/Help

Been reading a lot through the forums over the past couple of months and got lots of information. My diet is looking good and have starting lifting the weights. The muscles I want to develop 1st are the lower back, glutes and legs as these are the weakest links. I have been experimenting with deadlifts, reverse hypers and back raises for lower back.

Hip thrusts, step ups, and Bulgarian split squat for glutes (I know some of those also work the quads/legs), and for legs I have been attempting the pistol squat and have been back squatting. I am currently doing no upper body work as I want to see progress in these areas 1st, I also feel the deadlifts/squats and work stimulate my upper body enough to keep it at a steady strength until I am ready to progress and build my upper body. I am also doing pushups just for abit extra.

Basically my reason for post is to ask if any1 can offer me advice on how to put a 5 day a week program together for the main 3 areas I have discussed I have tried myself but its getting quite difficult to get my head around and also I wanted your better knowledge to steer me into the right/better direction.

Thank you.

Do you have any specific goals beyond building the legs, glutes, and low back? Building muscle, gaining strength, looking like bodybuilder... anything more concrete?

Also, for reference, what's your current height, weight, and general fat level (not a percentage, just a word or two description).

This is a terrible idea. At the very least, it's going to leave you having to "catch up" your upper body strength/development once you do start training it. At the worst, it'll encourage postural imbalances (from minimal training for the upper back), and that will slow down your total body strength and health.

When you asked about training for "maximum capillary recruitment" a few weeks ago, I linked to a well-designed 4-day a week program.

Do that. It'll still build the areas you're talking about and it won't leave out half of your entire body in the process.

My advice:
Get into the gym and deadlift. I don't care what reps/sets as long as you don't do anything crazy. I'm trusting you on this. I'm sure you know what 'crazy' and 'not crazy' mean.
Then do a set of pushups.
Then deadlift again, and more pushups.
Then deadlift again and more pushups.
Do you see? Your body is a unit. When you exercise it in ways which do not recognise this, you risk compromising its structural efficiency, and at worst its structural integrity.

Day 1 lower
Day 2 upper
Day 3 rest
Day 4 lower
Day 5 upper
Day 6 lower
Day 7 rest
Work all with a bit more focus/frequency to needing areas.

My advice... don't be like me. Just wait a few months before offering advice in the Beginner's forum.

What you said isn't bad advice, but it's not as good as the advice Chris and others give. Most people who ask questions in here are beginners, i.e., they don't generally know who to listen to on this site.

I'd hate to see the best advice get lost when too many people offer different approaches.

'Do you have any specific goals beyond building the legs, glutes, and low back? Building muscle, gaining strength, looking like bodybuilder... anything more concrete?'

Yes Chris, I definitely want to build muscle and gain strength. I want to gain as much strength as possible and grow muscle with it. I wouldn't say I was going for the body builder look, I want to gain strength and muscle and become as solid as possible. I'd say I am probably going for more of the combat athlete style look maybe.

'This is a terrible idea. At the very least, it's going to leave you having to "catch up" your upper body strength/development once you do start training it. At the worst, it'll encourage postural imbalances (from minimal training for the upper back), and that will slow down your total body strength and health.'

The catching up idea I do not mind, I tried the weights last year only for 10 weeks and my upper body made quite good gains and at this point I wasn't as committed, or as well informed by looking through the internet and in particular this forum.

The lower body is where I struggle with gains and this is why I want to address these areas 1st, I don't want to go down the route of others I have seen building there upper body 1st and leaving there lower bodies to 'catch up'. I would like to get my base stronger and more built 1st.

'
Also, for reference, what's your current height, weight, and general fat level (not a percentage, just a word or two description).'

height abit over 5ft 9, weight about 58kg, fat level, skinny-muscle if that makes any sense. A couple of years ago I did a body fat test I am sure it was the bioelectrical impedance test, and the results were that I had 5% body fat. I wouldn't say it has changed that much since then. Age 20 if that helps any.

Another question, would training the lower body work well with a pull up program? Would this maybe reduce the risk of postural imbalances in the upper back and keep the upper body as a whole strong? Thank you.

Good start, but specific goals will help you figure out a better path.
http://www.T-Nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/5_surefire_steps_to_setting_goals

Okay, yeah, you absolutely do not have the luxury of neglecting half of your body. You're a small dude, no offense. Positively nothing good will come out of a program that has you only training your lower body for any length of time.

Train everything, eat plenty, and see results. It's really the only way for you.

Anything other than a complete, well-designed program that trains every muscle group (or at least every movement pattern - pull, pull, squat, and hinge) would be a bad idea.