Advice From Vets for Young Bucks

Deload every 4th week and don’t do any tricep extensions.

[quote]jlesk68 wrote:
…and don’t do any tricep extensions.[/quote]

Because?

First I’d like to thank everyone for the complements on my post greatly appreciated! Thanks all of you!!

[quote]Wreckless wrote:
While I generally agree with the “don’t count on supplements to much”, I’d like to make an exception for fish-oil and glucosamine (in combination with chondroitin and MSM).[/quote]

Agreed, when I was talking about supplements I was more referring to bodybuilding supplements that are touted as the end all in muscle development. Usually they are not!

Fish Oil, glucosamine, MSM, I do not include in that catagory, they were never marketed as supplements that are going to build muscle. They do work, and there is plenty of research to support their health claims. I use MSM and Fish Oil in my diet too!! Good stuff and a huge relief to joint pains for us older folks!!

And did everyone read CPs interview and what he had to say about fish oil?

Good stuff I agree!!

Also as you get older and have other health issues, I have found Chinese Herbal Patent formulas to be a huge benefit too, again though they are not what I consider bodybuilding supps!!!

Again thanks all!! And please feel free to add any thing that you feel I left out, I’m sure there is something?

[quote]starsil9 wrote:
First I’d like to thank everyone for the complements on my post greatly appreciated! Thanks all of you!!

Wreckless wrote:
While I generally agree with the “don’t count on supplements to much”, I’d like to make an exception for fish-oil and glucosamine (in combination with chondroitin and MSM).

Agreed, when I was talking about supplements I was more referring to bodybuilding supplements that are touted as the end all in muscle development. Usually they are not!

Fish Oil, glucosamine, MSM, I do not include in that catagory, they were never marketed as supplements that are going to build muscle. They do work, and there is plenty of research to support their health claims. I use MSM and Fish Oil in my diet too!! Good stuff and a huge relief to joint pains for us older folks!!

And did everyone read CPs interview and what he had to say about fish oil?

Good stuff I agree!!

Also as you get older and have other health issues, I have found Chinese Herbal Patent formulas to be a huge benefit too, again though they are not what I consider bodybuilding supps!!!

Again thanks all!! And please feel free to add any thing that you feel I left out, I’m sure there is something?
[/quote]

I agree, even though things like that are supplemented to your diet, I don’t even count protein powder as a supplement. Its more like a meal to me.

I am 46 and the necessity of staying limber becomes more apparent to me with each passing year. Not talking about excessive movements that over stretch joints like many found in yoga, just acceptable ROM to function normally in the game of life.

Also, you might ask which exercises us middle age and up guys can no longer do: I can no longer flat or incline bench, declines no problem at all;
and I nuked my knees from playing street ball until age 41.

Smart guy - asking advice early.

Don’t waste the prime of your life worshipping your abs. Gain while it’s easiest.

[quote]Avoids Roids wrote:
Excellent points by Starsil9. It’s rare to see as a young pup as him so wise. :slight_smile:

The only thing I would add is to not neglect doing a week or two in every cycle of high rep work (15 reps) to assist your joints and connective tissues. That will help you stay injury free.

Oh yeah. As you progress, you will need to add isos to balance your body out.[/quote]

Would you recommend that as a back off week? Also, should it be around the 15RM, or should it be much easier? I’ve already some joint issues for years and am hoping to get rid of them over winter break with ART.

really bad for your elbows

[quote]Desideratus15 wrote:
What’s up guys, I thought this might be a good topic (sorry if it’s been posted already).

For all you older guys out there still training, what advice would you give the younger guys such as myself (age 20) to help things such as my joints, muscles and just overall body feeling good for down the road in 20, 30 or however many years?[/quote]

Lots of good stuff so far. I’m 45 and have been training hard for 25+ years. I’d add:

• Compounds are great, but do some complimentary exercise. every push has a corresponding pull and failing that gives you imbalances that can be hard to remedy. E.g. overhead press + pull up.

• Cardio is important as you age. Swimming is a great way to get that and help your joints. It will take time (ca. 6 mo. - 1 yr.) to get a hard cardio workout from it, but it is well worth it. I can leave any and all joint problems in the pool for a day.

• Don’t have a single killer workout. Have 2 - 3 that are shorter. Managing fatigue is a big issue.

• That said, work your ass off when you train, since metabolic fitness is what will make you move like the energizer bunny when you are an old fart.

jj

[quote]GFitness wrote:
really bad for your elbows[/quote]

thx

About stretching…

Stretching BEFORE you workout is a very bad idea. Studies on runners found that those who stretched before training had higher injury rates than those who didn’t. Those who regularly stretch AFTER training have fewer injuries. I suggest anyone who stretches as part of their warmup read the following article carefully.

http://www.morunandtri.com/features/coffeewcoachstretchingmarch06.html

[quote]happydog48 wrote:
About stretching…

Stretching BEFORE you workout is a very bad idea. Studies on runners found that those who stretched before training had higher injury rates than those who didn’t. Those who regularly stretch AFTER training have fewer injuries. I suggest anyone who stretches as part of their warmup read the following article carefully.

[/quote]

I’m not a runner. I’m a lifter. Are there any studies done on people that lift?

[quote]happydog48 wrote:
About stretching…

[/quote]

Use DYNAMIC stretching b4 weight training and STATIC stretching afterwards and on off days. Plenty of information on the site about this topic.

Mobility is definitely of increased importance as we age.

[quote]hedo wrote:
44 years old. Been training since I was 13.

Shorter workouts, less then 1 hr. More of them.

Don’t flat bench unless your a lineman. Incline bench for development and growth. All my injuries were due to flat benching. Most shoulder related.

Don’t be afraid to miss a workout or take a week off to do something equally as fun. In the long run it doesn’t matter…and you’ll miss out doing something fun.

Don’t stop completely. Always train a little if you can’t train as much as you want to.

Squat and deadlift from day 1. They are great lifts. If you do them right you won’t have back problems later in life and if you take up golf you will hit the ball a mile. Many of my cohorts have back problems and should tee off from the ladies tee. They wouldn’t think of squatting or deadlifting. I never stopped. A weak back and legs will contribute to other injuries.

Do cardio. 3X per week. If the heart isn’t healthy nothing else will be either.[/quote]

Another great post by hedo

Hey,

I’m 18. When I was doing track a year ago I was the guy who always stretched before practice when the coach ordered. All the other runners don’t stretch, and just converse with friends. Some would do half-assed stretches. I always stretched my hammies, because they always cramped.

Funny, because I was the guy that always stretched thoroughly before the sprint session, but always ended up with the hamstring cramps!

I never heard the other guys complain about cramps. Only one guy cried because his calves were cramping (I bet he stretched them before the sprints).

Well, this rule might not apply to everyone, but I plan not to do any static stretching before any exercise ever. I’m have bad experiences with this.

I heard about the negative effect static stretching can have on muscle contraction when it was too late. I stopped caring about track, and focused on building my body. I had a really fast metabolism, so it was either build a big, strong body, or be skinny and good at track.

My recommendation is to stretch after when your muscles are already warm.

-Kevin

[quote]happydog48 wrote:
About stretching…

[/quote]

I’m 37 now and I have to back up the comments about taking care of your shoulders and listening to your body.

A few years back I was overhead pressing and felt a slight tightness in my right shoulder. Felt very similar to a knuckle that needs to be cracked, so I didn’t think anything of it. The next workout, it returned, so I stretched some more and continued the workout. This went on for a few weeks before I ever felt any “pain.”

Turns out I have a type II acromion (not the best for repeated overhead presses) and had a classic impingement syndrom. Unfortunately, I let it get so bad that my tendon looked like a frayed nylon rope by the time I got an MRI. I had surgery to clean up the tendon and they actually shaved part of my acromion off. Long, painful recovery.

Since then, I’ve dropped overhead presses from my routine and added a lot of the various shoulder rotation exercises. Even bought a shoulder horn which I think is the best piece of equipment I’ve purchased for my shoulder development.

I’m not saying that you need to drop overhead presses, just be aware that people have different shaped skeletal structures, some of which aren’t conducive to certain motions. Listen to your body, it’ll tell you what it can and can’t do.

Remember, something doesn’t have to immediately hurt for it to be a sign of impending damage.

[quote]kenmen wrote:
happydog48 wrote:
About stretching…

Use DYNAMIC stretching b4 weight training and STATIC stretching afterwards and on off days. Plenty of information on the site about this topic.

Mobility is definitely of increased importance as we age.[/quote]

Very very good point and one I should have made clear in my first post. Dynamic stretching before workouts. I guess my problems is that I only think of stretching in terms of dynamic stretching.

I don’t do static stretching, first off because it is boering, and second because I don’t think it has much benefit in terms of injury prevention. Maybe after a workout like you have said here, but I’m way too wiped out and tired to fit it in after my workouts!! Or maybe I’m just too damn lazy to do it!!!

Either way I 100% agree with you on this one!!

[quote]Serious Guy wrote:
Hey,

I’m 18. [/quote]

Stop right there.

Don’t get into the habit of doing low intensity cardio. I did for about 10 years and it’s hard to get back (I’m doing it though)even though I can run for 2-3 hours at a time.

Eat clean.

Very good thread. My contribution - forget about most popular back exercises. Save yourself the trouble. Go directly to pullups/chinups and never look back. When you work up to 15 or so, put on an x-vest to add weight to the movement. I wasted many years with less than optimal lat development until I relented and started doing pullups. Nothing makes my lats and mid-back respond so well. One secret - if your chin bar is slippery chromed steel with/without shitty knurling, wrap it in black friction tape. Having a good sticky grip on the bar makes all of the difference in this movement. I can not stress this enough.

You will love the soreness !