Advice From T-Nation?

I have taken just about every suppplement out there and I have come to rest on one supplement that I really love using and getting the best results from. What is it you may ask. Now I’m not sponsored by this company so there is nothing in it for me. HOT-ROX Extreme.

I started taking this back in December of 2006. It has worked wonders for me it spares my muscle at the same time burn the fat and helped me get shredded. I also manage to pack on a little size. Especially during low carb dieting I have the extra energy to keep going!!

Now comes the protein. I am lactose intolerant,cannot use whey protein and soy dosnt do a thing for me. I have tried isopure which has to much sodium makes me retain water, nitrotech keepd me bloated, ProComplex I get the runs.lol.

Optimum nutrition whet protein same makes my stomach upset I can go on. Does Biotest make a good protein. Right now I take ProCore Advance, lactose free. It seems to work but I am always willing to try new products and suggestions?

[quote]Kiyoshi Moody wrote:

Optimum nutrition whet protein same makes my stomach upset I can go on. Does Biotest make a good protein. Right now I take ProCore Advance, lactose free. It seems to work but I am always willing to try new products and suggestions?[/quote]

When it comes to protein powders (and I am also lactose intolerant), I rank Lean Body’s MRP and “Pro V 60” as the least “disruptive”. I would put Biotest right after that one in terms of creating any discomfort at all. I often mix the two brands. Most other brands wouldn’t allow me to get through the day without problems (and I have tried most of the popular brands at least once).

Either way, you have to find what works better for you alone.

As far as supplements here, I agree on HOT-ROX. I also like their Alpha Male and the Spike Shooters. I usually buy those and the creatine at the same time.

Biotest’s Metabolic Drive is Good stuff. As for it causing any of the other issues you mentioned, that may come down to just testing it.

Im not lactose intolerant but know many a ppl on here have stated that Metabolic Drive is the or one of the only they can take without it screwing with them. Im not sure on the Grow! whey as its a concentrate and isolate blend.

Taste quality etc. Ive tried about all there is out there and Metabolic Drive is what I would pick. I use a LOT of the Grow! whey just plain unflavored just to get my protein up. Its no bells and whistles Taste kind of like coffee creamer to me. but gets the job done at a low cost.

Its worth a try. I dont think the quality can be really questioned. Taste?? well just like opinions and asshole we all have them, just have to try and see

Phill

I’m not lactose intolerant, but have any of you guys ever tried an enzyme supp like lactaid? No idea if they’re any good or not, but it came to mind.

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:
I’m not lactose intolerant, but have any of you guys ever tried an enzyme supp like lactaid? No idea if they’re any good or not, but it came to mind.[/quote]

I popped those like candy all of the way through school. I would rather not have to go back to the hassle of making sure I carry those with me everywhere. The amount of protein some of us are taking in at one sitting is another factor. If my goal is over 60-70gr in one shake, it had better not be filled to the brim with lactose. Those lactase enzyme pills only do so much at a time.

I have taken just about every suppplement out there and I have come to rest on one supplement that I really love using and getting the best results from. What is it you may ask. Now I’m not sponsored by this company so there is nothing in it for me. HOT-ROX Extreme.

I started taking this back in December of 2006. It has worked wonders for me it spares my muscle at the same time burn the fat and helped me get shredded. I also manage to pack on a little size. Especially during low carb dieting I have the extra energy to keep going!!

Now comes the protein. I am lactose intolerant,cannot use whey protein and soy dosnt do a thing for me. I have tried isopure which has to much sodium makes me retain water, nitrotech keepd me bloated, ProComplex I get the runs.lol.

Optimum nutrition whet protein same makes my stomach upset I can go on. Does Biotest make a good protein. Right now I take ProCore Advance, lactose free. It seems to work but I am always willing to try new products and suggestions?[/quote]

how about egg whites?

Kiyoshi top work and also your praise for HOT-ROX Extreme is a big recommendation in my books, since, as you said, you work in a supplement store and have tried everything. I haven’t tried the HOT-ROX Extreme one but might soon - it was banned in Australia but now I am in the UK and everything is legal here it seems, if you can find/afford it.

I would definetely give the Metabolic Drive a go. I am not lactose intolerant and so not a good authority but apart from being a great product I’d expect it to be pretty low in lactose.

There are a number of weird new proteins out there like “pea protein”, rice protein and also one based on hemp … I don’t know anything about them though. I certainly have not tried them.

myprotein.co.uk/bulk-powders/
protein-powders/pea-protein-isolate/

protein-powders/brown-rice-concentrate/

detoxyourworld.com/acatalog/hemp_protein.html

creative-nature.co.uk/catalog/
product_info.php?products_id=402

Please note I don’t particularly endorse those sites, I just googled to get some.

Biotest products are very good quality but they don’t have anything like these yet. Maybe they should make a whey protein with the lactaid build into it! Might be a seller.

Back in Oz I used to use pure hyrolysed whey and pure hydrolysed casein (which was better). OK it is not 100% hydrolysed but it was just the whey/casein, hydrolysed, very low lactose I believe, 0.2% … it was a bitter taste, but you get used to it real fast and start craving it.

myopure.com.au/hydrolysed-casein-protein.html

The company that sells it also sells Biotest stuff. Of course it is in Australia but I believe they do international orders. Or there might be a similar product in the US, or in fact, Biotest Surge might be incredibly low in lactose too. Or maybe 0.2% isn’t that low I have no idea. I think lactose accounts for about 30% of my calories (just kidding).

Over the course of 20+ years, I have tried more protein powders than I can even remember. Metabolic Drive and Biotest’s Whey have never given me any “gastrointestinal issues”. When I have the extra cash, I’ll also order stuff from Beverly. I’ve come to the conclusion that I’m just going to stick with these two companies instead of experimenting with new brands, particularly when it comes to protein. I can feel an inferior protein now almost immediately aftering consuming it.

I’d also add that HOT-ROX Extreme is perhaps the best thermo I’ve used. Unfortunately, it’s been added to the INBF’s banned list, and I have my eye on one of their shows later in the year, so I can’t use it. Now, that pisses me off.

Thumbs up to TRIBEX Gold too…I’ve noticed very tangible results from it in the areas of improved recovery time and mood stability, particularly when dieting.

I just wanted to say that it’s great to hear from all of you “seasoned veterans” what you like or don’t like in supplements, as opposed to someone who just started lifting a few months ago.

Hearing from guys who have competed, or who have been in the game longer than most means a lot more than any marketing ad, or study.

Thanks for sharing.

might consider the goatein by garden of life. i stick with the low-carb Metabolic Drive and sometimes the complete, but have used all the low carb iterations of Grow! there has been a definite improvement in the product which was top notch to begin with.

as for other supps, i tried 7.2g BCAA 5 times a day and gained 5 lbs in 2 weeks without changing diet. the Alpha Male feels like test. HOT-ROX Extreme, caffeine-free Spike and Power Drive make a wicked brain-candy stack (note, be careful when mixing nootropics for the first time. while this is mot counter indicated to my knowledge, always best to keep it safe).

creatine, Beta7, and Surge are unbelievable for increases in exercise performance, both acutely and chronically. Se7en works. Flameout is a high end fish oil/CLA supp, and the Spike Shooter and tabs are nice standalone stimulants.

time for Metabolic Drive Complete then bed.

Try VPX zero carb whey protein. Its pure isolate.
-VPX contains zero lactose so that should help in terms of your milk allergies

It comes in chocolate, graham cracker, strawberry kiwi, and vanilla. I would say go with one of the first two as opposed to the last two.

Personally i use Metabolic Drive, but it does have some milk proteins so that could be an issue for you, and micellar casein is slower digesting than plain isolate after a workout. Maybe Surge could work for you? Grow is the regular whey, but that has some lactose and is whey concentrate.

Biotest products are very good, but VPX has zero lactose.

To the OP and Prof X

I too am unable to have lactose and the best thing I have found in Digestive Advantage- It’s 1 pill a day and works really well.

It’s only 10bucks for a months supply as well so at least it would be cheap to try!

Other than that I second what Prof. said, I use all the proteins he mentioned. However, if I don’t take my pill the Metabolic Drive does cause some pain.

[quote]CrewPierce wrote:
However, if I don’t take my pill the Metabolic Drive does cause some pain.[/quote]

I knew I wasn’t alone on that one. I’ll look into that other product you mentioned.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Kiyoshi Moody wrote:

Optimum nutrition whet protein same makes my stomach upset I can go on. Does Biotest make a good protein. Right now I take ProCore Advance, lactose free. It seems to work but I am always willing to try new products and suggestions?

When it comes to protein powders (and I am also lactose intolerant), I rank Lean Body’s MRP and “Pro V 60” as the least “disruptive”. I would put Biotest right after that one in terms of creating any discomfort at all. I often mix the two brands. Most other brands wouldn’t allow me to get through the day without problems (and I have tried most of the popular brands at least once).

Either way, you have to find what works better for you alone.

As far as supplements here, I agree on HOT-ROX. I also like their Alpha Male and the Spike Shooters. I usually buy those and the creatine at the same time.[/quote]

Hey Prof,

Thanks for your input. I have tried the labrada products, unfortunately I am alergic to something in all whey proteins. Do the pills help. Yes the do I have taken them but. They back me up and get me constipated, which is a no go for pre-contest dieting. I do take them when I get the craving for ice cream or pizza in the off-season.

What do you think of ProCore?

[quote]4est wrote:
Biotest’s Metabolic Drive is Good stuff. As for it causing any of the other issues you mentioned, that may come down to just testing it.[/quote]

Thanks 4est. I am going to look into Metabolic Drive.

[quote]coloradosteve wrote:
Kiyoshi Moody wrote:

how about egg whites?
[/quote]

I do the egg white thing in the morning 1 and 1/2 cups of egg whites in the AM. Up til 2 weeks before the show. Egg whites carry sodium. So I cut them 2 weeks out.

[quote]Magarhe wrote:
Kiyoshi top work and also your praise for HOT-ROX Extreme is a big recommendation in my books, since, as you said, you work in a supplement store and have tried everything. I haven’t tried the HOT-ROX Extreme one but might soon - it was banned in Australia but now I am in the UK and everything is legal here it seems, if you can find/afford it.

I would definetely give the Metabolic Drive a go. I am not lactose intolerant and so not a good authority but apart from being a great product I’d expect it to be pretty low in lactose.

There are a number of weird new proteins out there like “pea protein”, rice protein and also one based on hemp … I don’t know anything about them though. I certainly have not tried them.

protein-powders/pea-protein-isolate/

protein-powders/brown-rice-concentrate/

detoxyourworld.com/acatalog/hemp_protein.html

creative-nature.co.uk/catalog/
product_info.php?products_id=402

Please note I don’t particularly endorse those sites, I just googled to get some.

Biotest products are very good quality but they don’t have anything like these yet. Maybe they should make a whey protein with the lactaid build into it! Might be a seller.

Back in Oz I used to use pure hyrolysed whey and pure hydrolysed casein (which was better). OK it is not 100% hydrolysed but it was just the whey/casein, hydrolysed, very low lactose I believe, 0.2% … it was a bitter taste, but you get used to it real fast and start craving it.

myopure.com.au/hydrolysed-casein-protein.html

The company that sells it also sells Biotest stuff. Of course it is in Australia but I believe they do international orders. Or there might be a similar product in the US, or in fact, Biotest Surge might be incredibly low in lactose too. Or maybe 0.2% isn’t that low I have no idea. I think lactose accounts for about 30% of my calories (just kidding).

[/quote]

Thank you very much for your input!!! I am going to look into Metabolic Drive

I would also agree that Metabolic Drive is the best protein powder I’ve ever had and it does not cause any GI discomfort.

As for HOT-ROX Extreme, it is without a doubt, the most effective fat burning supplement that I have taken. I’m not sure if anything has even come close, and I’ve tried a pretty crazy number of supplements, but those days are over.

The only thing is; HOT-ROX is so powerful that it’s definitely to be used on a cutting cycle, only. I’ve read posts on this board about guys taking it to “keep their bulks clean” but the appetite suppression would kill the bulk, in my opinion.

Save it for a cut, and maybe take Carbolin 19 or one of the test boosters during a bulk period.

My 2¢.

What do you think of ProCore?[/quote]

They’re new and I like the dragon on the bottle. Other than that, I haven’t tried them. I was actually looking at some of their products the other day (Kemistry)…simply because I like the graphics on their supplement containers. If I ever throw down the money just to see how it tastes, I’ll let you know.