Advice From a World Pull-up Champ

For some reason I’m being denied access to posting on the pull-up thread. (Maybe I got kicked out of the T-Cell for non-participation?)

Anyway…I just found out that a guy I work out with at the Y set some world-records for pull-ups: 2,600 for the 6 hour record, and 3,100 for 12 hours! Here’s a couple links about him:

Of course, I asked for advice on how to increase my numbers. Here’s what he told me:

Do 3 pull-ups, followed by 3 push-ups and then 3 body-weight squats. Repeat to failure.

After maybe a week, increase to 4 pull-ups, four push-ups, and 4 bw squats to failure.

Keep increasing the numbers till you’re up to 10 of each, going to failure.

Then, start gradually decreasing the numbers of push-ups and squat.

He can do a couple hundred pull-ups in a set, but when he set the records, he was doing pull-ups for 30 seconds, then resting for 30 seconds.

I just started doing this a few days ago, so I can’t personally attest to how well this will work. If not, it’s a helluva conditioning workout.

Roids.

Everyone was kicked out of the t-cell and they basically started over, with only 4 members able to tap people in.

He doesn’t use free weights? Is he one of those guys that can do BW exercises all day but can’t bench eighty pounds? If so, is his advice really applicable here?

Not that I’m diminshing his accomplishments, of course. The circuit sounds like fun.

From the looks of him from his picture, that seems to be the case. Not that there’s anything wrong with that, but I can’t see any use or benefit of that kind of goal, other than being able to do it.

That’s an interesting idea.

We had another (now, former, I guess) pull-up record holder on this board a little while back:
http://www.T-Nation.com/tmagnum/readTopic.do?id=1345081&pageNo=0

Fairly interesting thread, some serious sour grapes going on at times…but a hilarious comment by the holder to one of the critics: [quote]Anyway, I understand that my making myself weaker was a clear sign of my ignorance in the field of fitness, and will try to become better informed before the next time I break a world record. [/quote]

[quote]anonym wrote:
That’s an interesting idea.

We had another (now, former, I guess) pull-up record holder on this board a little while back:
http://www.T-Nation.com/tmagnum/readTopic.do?id=1345081&pageNo=0

Fairly interesting thread, some serious sour grapes going on at times…but a hilarious comment by the holder to one of the critics: Anyway, I understand that my making myself weaker was a clear sign of my ignorance in the field of fitness, and will try to become better informed before the next time I break a world record. [/quote]

Anyone who can do forty pulls in a set and also writes eloquently has my respect, even if they don’t train legs.

Of course, THIS IS A BODYBUILDING FORUM.

That last bit was a funny.

Been stuck at 3 for forever. Will try his program.

I think after a couple of months, a circuit of heavy benches, squats, and pullups might be more effective, if overall development was the goal.

[quote]Headhunter wrote:

I think after a couple of months, a circuit of heavy benches, squats, and pullups might be more effective, if overall development was the goal.[/quote]

Probably. But that guy don’t use no free weights. Dems fo’ bitches.

[quote]skaz05 wrote:
Roids.[/quote]

Hardly-he only weighs 150 pounds!

But you should see his forearm muscles; they are so huge, it looks like his biceps are spilling over into his forearms.

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:
Everyone was kicked out of the t-cell and they basically started over, with only 4 members able to tap people in.[/quote]

Thanks for the info; I was feeling rejected.

[quote]Vicomte wrote:
He doesn’t use free weights? Is he one of those guys that can do BW exercises all day but can’t bench eighty pounds? If so, is his advice really applicable here?

Not that I’m diminshing his accomplishments, of course. The circuit sounds like fun.[/quote]

Definitely not a body-builder. But I posted this as a direct response to another thread about increasing pull-up reps.

By the way, I’m quoting his advice by memory; we were chatting about 10 minutes, so I may have gotten some details wrong, but I’m pretty sure I got the big-picture correct.

But if your arms fall off or something, I’m not responsible.

[quote]Headhunter wrote:

I think after a couple of months, a circuit of heavy benches, squats, and pullups might be more effective, if overall development was the goal.[/quote]

From his picture he looks like he has the body of a 10 year old boy. So while he maybe able to do a high volume of work with some resistance, it hasn’t help develop his body any.

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:
Everyone was kicked out of the t-cell and they basically started over, with only 4 members able to tap people in.[/quote]

Yeah, they now have their own little club where they can all sit around and play with themselves without any distractions.

[quote]Lorisco wrote:

From his picture he looks like he has the body of a 10 year old boy. So while he maybe able to do a high volume of work with some resistance, it hasn’t help develop his body any. [/quote]

No, he looks like a lean, fit, healthy guy in his 40s as opposed to a body-builder, and guess what? That’s what he is! (He’s also got incredible cardio-endurance. He can max out any cardio machine in the place and keep it there for 20 minutes.)

[quote]dragonmamma wrote:
No, he looks like a lean, fit, healthy guy in his 40s as opposed to a body-builder, and guess what? That’s what he is! (He’s also got incredible cardio-endurance. He can max out any cardio machine in the place and keep it there for 20 minutes.)

[/quote]

Lean? Yes. Going for the 10-year-old school-boy version of “fit” though.

Good to see the ole’ home town in the news.

That’s great to hear, I live in Sonoma.

That’s a horrible photo-he looks much better in person!

Hmm, he didn’t specify how many days a week, but I’m in the weight room 3 or 4 days a week and he knows that, so I guess that’s the recommendation.