T Nation

Advice for Upper/Lower Split

Hey, I would like to start using a upper/lower body split and have designed one with which to use. However im pretty new to T-Nation and bodybuilding so im not sure if its much good or not. Any advice or assistance would be great.
I was thinking about using different rep ranges over the weeks…again im not sure, so any help would be great. Obviously each week il try to overload from my previously session

Week 1-3 (3x15)
week 3-6 (4x10)
week 6-9 (5x5)
week 10 (3x15)
week 11 (4x10)
week 12 (5x5)

Monday-Upper A
A1: Barbell Row
A2: Barbell Bench Press
B1: Pull-up
B2: Behind-Neck press/seated DB press?
C1: Incline DB curl
C2: Close-Grip bench press

Tuesday-Lower A
A1: Squat
A2: SL deadlift
B1: DB Lunge
B2: Hamstring curl
C1: Calf Press
D1: Roman chair sit-up
D2: Plank Hold

Thursday-Upper B
A1: Incline DB Press
A2: Seated Cable Row
B1: Military Press
B2: Chin up
C1: Weighted Dips
C2: Barbell Curl

Friday-Lower B
A1: Deadlift
B1: DB Split squat
B2: DB SL Deadlift
C1: Machine calf raise
D1: Roman chair sit-up
D2: Plank Hold

Thanks guys

Your program is identical to mine. All my weights have gone up 20% minimum and I’ve put on 10 pounds since I started it 8 weeks ago. Looks good.

ahk sweet
thts good to hear…hopefully i can experience similar results

DO NOT USE DIFFERENT REP RANGES…PICK A REP RANGE (eg 4-7) THEN HAMMER THAT REP RANGE WITH ALL YOUR EXERCISES!

HOW MANY TIMES A WEEK CAN YOU TRAIN?

so u wouldn’t bother say going from 5x5 to 4x8 at all?
i can train mon-fri
sat/sun gym’s closed
is my actual split i have alright though?
thanks mate

No. What you should do is have a top weight you work up to. Now say that top weight has a rep range of 5-10. What you do is work up to your top weight and then do as many reps as possible with it. When you can do 10 reps with it then next workout move your top weight you will work up to next time.

See the problem with saying how many reps you will get is that you cannot predict it. You many get that many reps, or more than likely you will get less or you will stop the set short because the weight was too light

I think you should train all five days on a 2 way split
Workout 1
Chest
Shoulders
Triceps
Back Width
Back Thickness

Workout 2
Biceps
Brachialis
Calves
Hamstrings
Quads

So week 1 will be
mon: Workout 1
tue: Workout 2
wed: workout 1 etc

then next week you start with workout 2

now depending on how strong you are depends on your exercise rotation. What do your lift looks like wit the squat, bench, shoulder press?

so u wouldnt bother to rest at all between the working days, like on wensday? just so the body can recover?

Im relativity new as i mentioned before, so my lifts are pretty ordinary and could do with improvement.
Squat: 253Lbs (max)
Deadlift: 286Lbs (max)
Bench: 170.5Lbs x3
Overhead press: 115.5Lbs x3

You will be resting, one day, while you train the other bodyparts. The fact that you will be repeating the same movement the next week but training that muscle twice inbwetween with differen exercises will allow you to recover.

Remember you will be taking 2 days off completely at the weekend!

From your strength and bodyweight I still think you should stick to a 2 way. But I think you should use a 3 exercise rotation.

If you want to list your top 3 exercises for each bodypart I listed in my above post that would be good.

And we will go from there.

You can PM me them if you want as this is turning more into a conversation than a thread discussion.