Advice for Powerlifting w/ Small Frame

Thanks everyone, As far as knee wraps from you guys experience, whats some good ones? that aren’t very expensive?

P.S.

I love watching one of the videos of mariuz pudzinouski leg training with those blue sleeves, they look pretty sweet lol But i dont know what kind they are, and theyre probley expensive,

[quote]A Iron Mack wrote:
Thanks everyone, As far as knee wraps from you guys experience, whats some good ones? that aren’t very expensive?

P.S.

I love watching one of the videos of mariuz pudzinouski leg training with those blue sleeves, they look pretty sweet lol But i dont know what kind they are, and theyre probley expensive,[/quote]

http://www.titansupport.com/products/knee-wraps/thp-knee-wraps

[quote]LiquidMercury wrote:
This is where you use the search button. Lots of information regarding nutrition on the site. Do some of the work yourself and than if you have questions put together a detailed post asking your questions. Your current set of questions just shows you haven’t read the wealth of information this site provides.

Best of luck. As a side note if you want to see what a routine more oriented towards powerlifting looks like take a look at my log or dixies log. Both are pretty detailed. And of course there is meat’s over in the bb forum.[/quote]

Hi. I’m Dixies.

LM is the under 200lb version of me.

Srsly though, youre gettin good advice from everyone so far, keep asking GOOD questions, make liberal use of that search function, and best of luck to you.

If you want some no nonsense no bullshit good advice for raw powerlifting, check out MM’s log

If you want the same advice and guidance for geared powerlifting, check out PeteS’ log

THanks, SOrry i meant knee SLEEVES, not knee wraps on the previous post. I was looking at some Kumo S, or something like that. But idk if theyre very good.

Your numbers are pretty good, for your size/weight. I think that if you put in some quality work you will be a good lifter. The 5X5 is something most of us seem to start with, and is fine for a base as been said previously, but the links Dixie’s given you will help you on your way. The wraps are fine for now but I like my Reband knee sleeves for raw work, just because I am lazy and if put on properly wraps hurt like hell.

My advice to you though is to get with some guys who lift competitively and let them help you if you can.

Good luck

http://jackalsgym.com/store.aspx?prod_id=RH-KS

[quote]sufiandy wrote:
My advice for gaining weight is breakfast burritos. But the trick is to still eat a normal breakfast then get your burrito like an hour later. Should work with regular burritos as well.[/quote]

http://www.milkandcookies.com/link/33439/detail/

Lots of good advice and your lifts aren’t too shabby.

Look, at 19 you are a testosterone factory and most of us old farts would part with something dear to us to be in your shoes again.

My biggest piece of advice is don’t worry about having a ‘small frame size.’ You are still growing and will likely get thicker as you age.

Honestly, I had a lifter your age who was very skinny when he started with us, could barely squat 65#'s with good form and went on to become our best # for # squatter and puller by a mile. He had an amazing ability to build quad and erector mass and seriously I used to have him flex his quads at the gym for the “bodybuilders” we spoke to just to make them miserable. After 2 years of training his shit literally hung over his knees. I’ve never seen anything like it.

I think leverages and ability to build mass in the right places mean a lot more than frame size. Look at Inaba.

Just keep training hard, seeking good advice and eating like it’s your job.

Wow, thank you guys for some really great advice, I started my eating like a mad man today! iv been full all day so far and now about to eat some more, if I keep this up by the end of the day i should have betweeen 5k&6k calories.

Thanks, Aaron

On those from Jackal’s Gym, the original rehband sleeves, Correct me if I’m wrong, but they mean measure from the biddle of the knee cap DOWN your shin 15cm, and around your calf? I want to make sure because i dont want to buy a size to big/small. Mines 37cm, which is a large. Just better safe than sorry

Thanks

Yes, do it just as it’s written.

As an aside, rinse them out real quick with cold water after you wear them as they will likely be sweatty anyway and this keeps them from getting funky. Just set them somewhere to air/drip dry.

Like others have said, your genetics are pretty good with those numbers at your age. I think the knee sleeves are a good idea, but I don’t think they necessarily get to the root of the problem. Squatting shouldn’t cause that much knee pain, so it makes me think you have a technique issue that is contributing to the knee pain. I would suggest getting some video of your squats and have some experienced powerlifters critique your technique.

[quote]SRS2000 wrote:
Like others have said, your genetics are pretty good with those numbers at your age. I think the knee sleeves are a good idea, but I don’t think they necessarily get to the root of the problem. Squatting shouldn’t cause that much knee pain, so it makes me think you have a technique issue that is contributing to the knee pain. I would suggest getting some video of your squats and have some experienced powerlifters critique your technique. [/quote]

I’l try to get a video asap, Thank you. I thought my form was pretty good, but then again I cant see myself. so idk. But thanks guys

Most people think their form is good, most people are also wrong.

Most people think their form is good, most people are also wrong.[/quote]

Truth.

You’re idea of what eating “a lot” is wrong. Not gaining weight? Not eating a lot. Simple as that. Eat more, grow more.

5x5 isn’t exactly a program for building maximal strength. It’ll give you a good basis for sure but if you’re looking to compete you’ll need to get heavier singles work in.[/quote]

Thank you!! Oh, another question came to mind, Along with this 5,3,1 program, And eating more, Would it be in my best intrest to not swim/ride bikes?
THanks, Aaron[/quote]

I don’t see why you can’t do that stuff, I did sprints/snow boarded/hiked/&c. and I still gained weight, plus it allowed me to eat more. I love eating…nom nom nom.

Knee wraps help. I know I can squat about 40 lbs more with them than without.[/quote]

Yeah, My knees just feel like the are just going to fall apart when I get up with heavier weight, so I wrap them cause it makes me feel safe :slight_smile: lol Iv seen too many squatting accidents on youtube I guess, but they had knee wraps and it didnt help but then again they have like 900lbs ±. lol

AH, also SHould I train with or without? I read one article saying its best without, because with them your muscles get stronger but your ligamnets/tendons or whatever around your knee stays way behind because they are supported and dont kneed to grow or whatever.IDK[/quote]

If your knees are hurting, I’d try a squat box in order to learn to sit back, although knees do get a beating and will be sore, but if they are painful (what I consider painful) you’re letting your knees move over your toes.

[quote]DixiesFinest wrote:

Most people think their form is good, most people are also wrong.[/quote]

Truth.[/quote]

I just experienced this phenomenon after thinking I had great squat form for over a year.

*Hangs head in shame

[quote]DixiesFinest wrote:

This is where you use the search button. Lots of information regarding nutrition on the site. Do some of the work yourself and than if you have questions put together a detailed post asking your questions. Your current set of questions just shows you haven’t read the wealth of information this site provides.

Best of luck. As a side note if you want to see what a routine more oriented towards powerlifting looks like take a look at my log or dixies log. Both are pretty detailed. And of course there is meat’s over in the bb forum.[/quote]

Hi. I’m Dixies.

LM is the under 200lb version of me.

Srsly though, youre gettin good advice from everyone so far, keep asking GOOD questions, make liberal use of that search function, and best of luck to you.

If you want some no nonsense no bullshit good advice for raw powerlifting, check out MM’s log

If you want the same advice and guidance for geared powerlifting, check out PeteS’ log

thanks for the props Dixie.

all i can say is definitely get some vids of your lifts. that’s the easiest way to get help from folks on the internet.

also, with the internet be leary of folks with NO EVIDENCE of their credentials. if they have a silly avatar and just say “take my word for it”, they are definitely weak and shouldn’t be giving advice.

i’ve always believed that you learn from stronger people. i know i wouldn’t listen to someone giving me advice if they couldn’t squat my bench.

my two cents.

you definitely seem to be on the right track though. physique looks balanced and strong.

Thanks once again guys, you all are all so helpfull!!! I Feel like a fat man today i’ve ate so much!! I got nearly 300g of protein, and 5600 calories today. Saturday Is squat day, so I believe Il try to get a camera in the gym so I can post it up.