T Nation

Advice for Intermittent Fasting?

I’ve committed to intermittent fasting with a group to burn fat and lose my gut. My goal is to burn fat but not lose strength. I read a good article about avoiding cardio during fasting. Luckily, I don’t do cardio. But I did lower my weight and increase reps to burn more fat. What I read explained why that was a bad idea. I’m going back to heavy weight to prevent muscle loss.
My main question is if I fast between 2 and 7 when is the best time to lift to preserve as much muscle as possible while burning fat?

Train anytime you’re not fasting.

1 Like

You should try doing cardio, and furthermore, do it while you’re fasting.

3 Likes

Unless you’re a regular user of performance enhancing drugs, you don’t need to be this concerned about muscle loss.

2 Likes

Could you elaborate on this? I figured it would be the other way around lol

A natural trainee isn’t going to put on so much muscle that they run a risk of significant muscle loss. Keep protein high and engage in resistance training and you will hold onto muscle. Most horror stories of losing a ton of muscle come from dudes that started out fatter than they realized and confused fluff for muscle.

3 Likes

Is 5 hours really a fast?

2 Likes

I think he means 2pm to 7am

2 Likes

:man_shrugging: Maybe, maybe not?

2 Likes

Perhaps he’s fasting… faster?

9 Likes

Multiple microfasts per day. Like 4 hrs each, evenly spaced between meals.

That’s a winning formula.

Actually @JamesBrawn007 is pretty knowledgeable of IF and might be of some help.

2 Likes

Yes. I meant I fast from 7pm until 2pm the next day. To elaborate I read an article that said cardio during fasting will burn muscle. In an attempt to burn more fat and cut I dropped my lifting weight and increased my reps. The same T-nation article said to stay heavy to prevent muscle loss. My main question is when I should lift with my fasting time above? My guess is right when I begin my fasting.

That’s a good time to do it.

Thanks for the shout out.

What he has described is very much like Martin Berkham’s Leangains. And what Berkham recommends is to train immediately before you break the fast. So around 1pm in this case.

2 Likes

Personally I think IF is stupid.

That being said: lift heavy & lift intensely; eat fewer calories than you burn (500 cals/day for a pound/week fat loss); train whenever is most convenient for you or when you have the most energy.

Cardio is great for cardiovascular health, but it doesn’t burn fat. It can help you maintain a caloric deficit if you like to eat; but I would rather spend 0 minutes eating 500 calories less than spend an hour on a cardio machine burning 500 calories more. I can find better uses for that hour of time per day.

2 Likes

For consideration:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CKSTaeEnPRr/

1 Like