T Nation

Advice for Diet While Injured?

Im 27 year old male 6’2 and been working out for 9 years. came a long way… long story short I have an injury on my l5-s1 disc herniation and I fell off since due to not being able to do all I can like I used too.

now I been experiencing new neck/shoulder blade/elbow issue. worked with a sport Chiro and tried 8 weeks off and only cardio to get it fixed… no relief… can’t do upper body it gives me a pulling shoulder blade issue going to the elbow with a stiff neck… the ni ended up almost tripping and catching my step that left my right knee in pain which has gotten way better than 9 weeks ago but still have aches throughout day… and night… talk about horrible horrible literally horrible luck… I lost my whole shredded mass look and all. it really does suck

now I feel my face is like jiggly ( throat and chin feel shaky) and I feel fat due to not working out and dieting is the best I can do…

I have been dieting but I don’t know too much and im eating clean 95% of the time… my macros are at 180-200 c/ 200-210 pro/ 60-80 fat

is this too high?.. I mean I don’t wanna lose all mass and look scrawny… I have been trying to do cardio 4-5x a week 45-1 hour low bike or treadmill which sucks because I feel it doesn’t do nothing… but I been trying … and my day is mostly a desk job… not really too active… what do u guys suggest …

This is in your head. While you it’s definitely possible to gain weight when you stop training hard, a lot of “feeling fat” is mental whether you’re injured or not.

What’s your current bodyweight and roughly how lean are you (ab definition vs love handles vs man boobs, etc)?

This article goes in-depth about how to adjust nutrition when injured.

Walking is under-rated… especially if the alternative is doing nothing.

Are you cleared for any resistance training? Bands, dumbbells, single-arm or single-leg stuff? Some people get by with “training whatever’s not injured” even if it means doing an imbalanced routine for the short-term, like only-left-arm pulldowns, only-right-leg leg press, only-right-arm chest press, etc.

thing is my herniated disc been an issue for 4 years but newly now is my neck… got a pulling feeling all the way down to the elbow and from the behind of the shoulder blade specially after doing upper body… took 8 weeks off with Chiro and did some adjusting and sessions… no help… did mri… came out to herniated discs in neck c4/c5 c5 c6/ 1mm but… still trying to do cardio best I can and doing little lat pulldown/rows/curls/tricep/// very limited but trying…

The less active you are the less carbohydrates you need. I’m not telling you to go full blown keto but I’d definitely try to work your macros around to replace carbs with healthy fats. I tore my labrum in my shoulder as a freshmen in high school. I was worried about getting fat for sports and looking good for girls. I spent 3 months in a sling and 2 months doing physical therapy unable to exercise and lost 30 pounds. It was probably really close to being half and half fat and muscle but I was definitely more defined after, it was the first time I had abs. I was unable to do any exercising as I couldn’t use my arm and it was a very snowy winter that didn’t allow me to go out and walk much. I spent most of my time sitting down playing call of duty. Between my time off of surgery, winter break, and the blizzards we got that winter I think I was on my ass playing COD for 2 months straight. I made sure I drank a gallon of water every single day. Most days I would fast and eat only one meal. There were some days where I was snowed in and literally had nothing to do besides sit on my ass so I would go longer than a day without food. If I wanted to snack while playing video games I’d have roasted almonds. My dinners would be something like a rotisserie chicken, a green vegatable and a piece of bread with butter. Sometimes a big tuna or turkey sandwich with cheese and veggies. I think the majority of the time it was the rotisserie chicken. Maybe a steak and potato once every week or other week. I had zero junk foods whatsoever. If I had to guess I was taking in 1,000-1,300 calories a day. I would also drink a lot of milk as well, to make sure my body was getting enough nutrients to help me recover from my injury. In hindsight it may not have been the healthiest thing to do, but it worked and at my physical my doctor told me I was in perfect health. If I had to do it again, I definitely would add more healthy fats and more vegetables. I also probably would do any sort of exercise my injury allowed even if I was just doing stationary lunges over and over again.

thanks man.!

yeah bro it sucks they injuries suck man… specially I already had l5/s1 lower lumber 4 years as it is… now neck/shoulder blade issue… I don’t know how this can happen to me when I never hurt my self… point is… I don’t know macros where it should be exactly… im at 2200 and doing 45 min cardio 4-5x a week… scale not changing… its crazy