T Nation

Advice For College Freshman

[quote]jp_dubya wrote:
Just study. How fucking hard is a 14 hour load? so you have to go to class 14 hours per week. Study for two hours for every class room hour, which hardly no one does, That is 28. 28+14 is 42. Welcome to an adult life. This is what is expected of you.

Have some fun, don’t be a wing man too often although the fatties give fabulous head. Get a job while in school doing something. [/quote]

^—This should be the only post.

I’m 19 years old entering my junior year at Loyola University New Orleans. Everyone at my school (myself included) lives off-campus starting their sophomore year. Trust me, the urge to get fucking snockered every single minute of every single day there is unavoidable, but you have to keep with your studies.

-You need to limit your spendings because your money will very, very, very shortly run out from all the booze.
-Wrap it up.
-Go to more parties than bars, they’re always more fun and the booze is free.
-Be very assertive with girls, especially during the first few weeks. Everyone is in the same boat in regards to not knowing anyone, and girls will find comfort in you taking the intiative and talking to them first. This will eventually lead to you getting laid.

Just to reiterate: do your fucking homework, get a job (with the little bit of extra money you’ll have the world by the balls), and fatties give the best head.

-dizzle

P.S.- Droz: Want some advice?
Tom: Well, yeah.
Droz: Here’s all you need to know: Classes: nothing before eleven. Beer: it’s your best friend, you drink a lot of it. Women?..You’re a freshman, so it’s pretty much out of the question. Do we have a car?
Tom: Uh, no.
Droz: Someone in your hall will. Find them and make friends with them on the first day.

(I had to)

[quote]conner wrote:
NAUn wrote:
Other than Chillain’s comment on fraternities. What do the rest of you guys thing? Good idea, bad idea?

Depends. They are a great way to make quick friends and get laid often, and can definitely ensure that you won’t be bored most nights. Easy to get alcohol (until you are 21), help with schoolwork every now and then, and it’s a place to crash if you wanna party 'til you drop.

On the other hand, there is the Hell Week, hazings, general obligations (sometimes monetary), etc…

Some frats come off as a collection of shady characters desperate to have friends, appear hip, and mack the gullible freshman girls, whereas others are a collection of cool guys. The sororities they affiliate with should be a factor, but keep in mind that you will be spending a lot of time with these guys, so it’s a wise move to make sure you get along with them.

Ultimately, it will depend on the particular frat. It never hurts to have the resources and loyalties of a bunch of guys when you’re new to the whole college thing, and you’ll definitely have no trouble meeting girls, but it can be a huge distraction from your academics if you can’t keep your head on straight.[/quote]

Spot on post right here…

[quote]smorr wrote:

1. Get a nalgene bottle. Fill it every chance you get and carry it with you everywhere you go. This is the best way to ensure you drink enough.

[/quote]

Best advice so far.

I’m going into my senior year at an Iowan private University. My tips:

-Don’t go to private universities if you’re good at school. Might be a bit late for this.

-While everyone says to go to class, I respectfully disagree. Find out what works for you. Go when you have to, and when you don’t, don’t. I had a intro to psych class that I quit attending about 1/2 way into the semester.

My final two test scores were higher than my first two–the two exams I went to every lecture for. Also had a stats class that I left half way through each class time (night class. escaped at break time), I was one of the top 5 in the class–I didn’t have to take the final exam. Find what works. Use the extra time to study or do something productive.

-Don’t be the tool at a party who plays the guitar.

-Drink because everyone should try it out. But most of all find something that you like and drink that. Don’t drink to just get drunk–at least not all the time.

-Try things out. If you’re at a big school, this is your opportunity to be whoever you want to whoever you want. Talk to everyone. And don’t be afraid to look the world in the face when you walk around campus. Say, “hi” to people, it freaks them out.

-You’ll have profs that you absolutely enjoy listening to and going to class with. Make friends with them.

-Go out to parties. Join a fraternity. Do things typical college people do. There’s a reason the typical college kid does this. I say this as a person who had his head so far up his ass the first two years of school that I feel like I just started having fun the second half.

-Never be afraid to drink a beer with your buddies. No matter how much homework you have to do. NOTE: there’s a difference between a beer and 34 beers. Learn that difference well.

[quote]A-Dizz wrote:
jp_dubya wrote:
Just study. How fucking hard is a 14 hour load? so you have to go to class 14 hours per week. Study for two hours for every class room hour, which hardly no one does, That is 28. 28+14 is 42. Welcome to an adult life. This is what is expected of you.

Have some fun, don’t be a wing man too often although the fatties give fabulous head. Get a job while in school doing something.

^—This should be the only post.

I’m 19 years old entering my junior year at Loyola University New Orleans. Everyone at my school (myself included) lives off-campus starting their sophomore year. Trust me, the urge to get fucking snockered every single minute of every single day there is unavoidable, but you have to keep with your studies.

-You need to limit your spendings because your money will very, very, very shortly run out from all the booze.
-Wrap it up.
-Go to more parties than bars, they’re always more fun and the booze is free.
-Be very assertive with girls, especially during the first few weeks. Everyone is in the same boat in regards to not knowing anyone, and girls will find comfort in you taking the intiative and talking to them first. This will eventually lead to you getting laid.

Just to reiterate: do your fucking homework, get a job (with the little bit of extra money you’ll have the world by the balls), and fatties give the best head.

-dizzle

P.S.- Droz: Want some advice?
Tom: Well, yeah.
Droz: Here’s all you need to know: Classes: nothing before eleven. Beer: it’s your best friend, you drink a lot of it. Women?..You’re a freshman, so it’s pretty much out of the question. Do we have a car?
Tom: Uh, no.
Droz: Someone in your hall will. Find them and make friends with them on the first day.

(I had to)
[/quote]

A-Dizz

How is Loyola doing these days. After the Hurricanes I spent a few months in NOLA working on the recovery efforts.

Drove over to the are where Loyola is located to work on some infastructure repairs about 2 weeks into it, I could barely find it with GPS in my truck. Lot of damage.They were working hard to get it back in shape…how are you guys doing?

[quote]Joe84 wrote:
Chewie wrote:
Joe84 wrote:
1…
2…
3…
5…
6…
7…

Learning how to count is a plus, also.

Yes well I fixed it within 5 minutes of my initial post, so congratulations on picking up a typo…let’s all give you a pat on the back for being Mr. typo finder. [/quote]

You must be new here.

[quote]Mikeyali wrote:

1. Do NOT do ROTC. If you want to join, choose a different path such as PLC. You don’t get much out of ROTC other than wearing a retarded uniform…wow. There are better things to be doing at 0600 than PT’ing with college kids.

mike[/quote]

What is PLC?

Doesn’t ROTC guarantee a job, plus rank, when you graduate? When you’ve done your 5 years, you’ll probably be a captain (Marines) or similar. Looks pretty impressive resume-wise, I’d think. You can also stay in and pension out in 15 more years — 42 years old with a pension for life. Where else do you get a deal like that?

Of course, I’m assuming that you don’t go into the combat divisions. War doesn’t seem to be too appealing…:smiley:

Wrap it up. You might create someone or kill yourself.

Don’t drink and drive. You might kill someone or yourself.

Be careful with heavier drug use. It can lead you down some dark paths.

Have fun, go to class, and get good grades.

Pick a major that you like. If you can’t make money with that major. Double-major and pick up a business degree or something else practical.

[quote]Headhunter wrote:

How cool, defending the greatest country in the history of the planet!

[/quote]

wait, what?

[quote]conner wrote:
joshuaforty wrote:
dollarbill44 wrote:
conner wrote:

1. Adderall - find a someone with a 'scrip, stock up early, make a killing during finals. Or use them yourself; they are great.

Stay away from drugs as much as possible. Seriously. More people get themselves fucked up and thrown off course with drugs. There are other ways to keep sharp than doing something illegal.

DB

Yeah, I just want to reinforce this so the OP knows something about the advice he is getting. All the people that are recommending you get prescriptions and sell them are telling you to break the law. You can make the decision yourself, but it should be an informed one - don’t let all the advice blur the fact that selling prescriptions is illegal.

So is underage drinking, which I don’t believe anyone has advised him against yet.[/quote]

There is a big, BIG legal difference between underage consumption (misdemeanor) and illegal prescription use, possession (misdemeanor) and/or distribution/trafficking (felonies). And yes, the poster that I responded to advised him to find a friend with a scrip, stock up on his pills and SELL them during finals.

This is going to get you some felony counts, which may or may not carry additional charges due to proximity to a school (colleges count as schools in many jurisdictions). Adderall and Ritalin are treated the same as heroin and cocaine under the law. If you don’t believe me, check with your local DA or just google it.

A lot of campus police will let drinkers off with a warning. They won’t let you off with pills.

But hey, if you want to use the legal defense of “underage drinking is illegal too”, go right ahead. Then let us know how that worked out for you.

DB

[quote]Headhunter wrote:
Mikeyali wrote:

1. Do NOT do ROTC. If you want to join, choose a different path such as PLC. You don’t get much out of ROTC other than wearing a retarded uniform…wow. There are better things to be doing at 0600 than PT’ing with college kids.

mike

What is PLC?

Doesn’t ROTC guarantee a job, plus rank, when you graduate? When you’ve done your 5 years, you’ll probably be a captain (Marines) or similar. Looks pretty impressive resume-wise, I’d think. You can also stay in and pension out in 15 more years — 42 years old with a pension for life. Where else do you get a deal like that?

Of course, I’m assuming that you don’t go into the combat divisions. War doesn’t seem to be too appealing…:smiley:

[/quote]
I apologize up front for the length of the post, but if anyone here is interested in ROTC, it’s worth a look, imo:

I did Army ROTC at a private, liberal arts school. I received a 2 year scholarship, without which I may not have been able to continue due to the cost of tuition and having two other siblings in college at the same time.

It paid 80% of my tuition, a book stipend of $200/semester and $100/month. This was between 1987 and 1991. I know there are different programs and things are likely different now.

ROTC there wasn’t as hard core as say VaTech or Texas AM where it is a complete way-of-life for 4 years. Things were pretty laid back in the program until half-way through soph year. Junior year, things really kicked up in intensity and pretty much sucked at times.

Summer after junior year, I spent 7 weeks at Ft. Bragg, which really sucked ass, but was an awesome experience. We made the most of it and got through it. Senior year, we ran the training of the underclassmen. It was a lot of work and a lot of responsibility.

You can pretty much expect to lose at least one weekend per month to off-campus training exercises. Your last two years you can expect to be at PT 3 times per week at 6AM, which is not all bad. You can always go back to bed after that if you want.

I wasn’t guaranteed anything coming out besides butterbars and an 8-year commitment. During senior year, we submitted our accesssions packets, which was basically an application that included our academic records, physical records, military records, etc as well as our top 3 duty choices (army branches), at least one of which was required to be a combat branch.

Your assignment was based on your credentials and the needs of the Secretary of the Army. A lot of people were happy with their assignments, but some were definitely not happy. But that’s the shit, it doesn’t matter.

Once you’ve signed on the line and have taken the money, you have to pay one way or the other. One guy actually rejected his assignment and enlisted because he wanted to fly helicopters above anything else.

It was an incredible experience that really sucked at times, but then again, anything that builds character will carry that reality. I wouldn’t trade the experience for anything and I think this country would be a lot better off if everyone served in the military for some period of time.

I’m not an advocate of conscription, mind you, but from my experience in the military and civilian workplace, people with military experience have a different appreciation for “difficult” work and we tend to be more willing to “suck it up and drive on” when things get tough instead of congregating in the break room bitching about the task while drinking a SlimFast and eating Dibs.

Hope this helps.

DB

[quote]Headhunter wrote:
Mikeyali wrote:

mike

What is PLC?

[/quote]

I can only speak for the Marine Corps, since the army tends to throw money around like a kid buying lap dances during his first visit to a strip club.

PLC or, Platoon Leaders Course can be run two ways: one ten week course between your junior and senior years or two six week courses between your freshman and sophmore and junior and senior years. There is some tuition assistance, but if you take it then it tacks on 6 months toward your obligation.

Neither PLC or ROTC guarantee anything. If you wash out at Officer Candidate School then that’s that. Those that accept a commission can choose three routes. Ground and Law routes come with a 3.5 year obligation and air comes with 8 years. But really, the great part about PLC while you are in school is that you don’t have to do anything.

You PT as you see fit. You don’t have to drill around campus or anything silly like that. Considering what I have seen with the ROTC guys here on campus, I think that they don’t get much out of the program. They do ceremonies, practice drill and get yelled at by me when they fall asleep in class in uniform. I’ve volunteered several times to teach classes about infantry tactics, IED’s, demo, ect., but they keep telling me that that stuff I teach to PFC’s is too advanced for these guys.

mike

[quote]Mikeyali wrote:
I’ve volunteered several times to teach classes about infantry tactics, IED’s, demo, ect., but they keep telling me that that stuff I teach to PFC’s is too advanced for these guys.

mike[/quote]

I guess times have changed. Back when I went through the program, we were firing all sorts of weapons and blowing shit up with c4. One dude even fried his face with the Dragon backblast because he decided to switch shoulders with the thing and accidently discharged it mid-switch (i.e. in front of his face). He went home after the incident and we never saw him again.

DB

[quote]conner wrote:
joshuaforty wrote:
dollarbill44 wrote:
conner wrote:

1. Adderall - find a someone with a 'scrip, stock up early, make a killing during finals. Or use them yourself; they are great.

Stay away from drugs as much as possible. Seriously. More people get themselves fucked up and thrown off course with drugs. There are other ways to keep sharp than doing something illegal.

DB

Yeah, I just want to reinforce this so the OP knows something about the advice he is getting. All the people that are recommending you get prescriptions and sell them are telling you to break the law. You can make the decision yourself, but it should be an informed one - don’t let all the advice blur the fact that selling prescriptions is illegal.

So is underage drinking, which I don’t believe anyone has advised him against yet.[/quote]

I didn’t advise him against drinking for one reason: I assumed he already knows it is illegal. I don’t know the OP, so I don’t know how informed he is. Nevertheless, I assumed he is informed on underage drinking; apparently you assumed he isn’t. That’s fine. It’s possible that he might think selling prescriptions is legal. I just wanted to make sure he knew it wasn’t.

Thanks guys for all your input. It is much appreciated. I’ll take it all to heart! I don’t plan on drinking often at all since I want to maintain a strong physique. To all who suggest not getting a girlfriend in college or just freshman year, could you elaborate more as to why not? haha

[quote]mike402 wrote:
Thanks guys for all your input. It is much appreciated. I’ll take it all to heart! I don’t plan on drinking often at all since I want to maintain a strong physique. To all who suggest not getting a girlfriend in college or just freshman year, could you elaborate more as to why not? haha[/quote]

Simply because, in doing so, you would be limiting yourself during what is not only your sexual peak, but also where the most numerous, convenient, no-strings-attached opportunities will present themselves.

Personally? I don’t think it matters - and I certainly wouldn’t base my decision on this matter upon what a message board thinks. If you wanna play the field, go for it. If not, more power to you.

Just make sure she’s worth it, 'cause you never know.

I have one piece of advice- stay away from credit cards. Seriously they hand them out to college kids like candy. You’ll spend the next ten years paying them back along with your school loans. If you can’t afford it in cash wait until you can. I cannot stress this enough.

1. I’m not gonna say ‘go to class’ because you’ve already been told several times. I WILL however say this, and it is all important—no matter what happens, FIND WHAT YOU ARE PASSIONATE ABOUT and major in it. Don’t settle for something you don’t like or are only “OK” with. This is your future. Find something you are excited about and stick with it. Don’t ever settle, no matter how long you have to stay.

2. Get to know your professors! Already been said once, but it bears repeating. Just sticking around them can open doors. If they know your face, it helps the grade. If they know your face, you can get opportunities for research or early publications if you’re asking about ways to get involved. They can fix mistakes, and they can make them worse. Don’t ‘brown-nose’ or anything, but get to know them even if it takes some effort or is a drag. You’ll thank me later.

3)Get to know as many people as you can in the first month. After the first couple weeks people unconsciously slip into patterns and if you haven’t made a big effort to get outside your comfort zone you can slip back into isolation or apathy–staying in your room online or whatever. Don’t do that!! This is a new chance to change your patterns for the better. Whatever you do, stay out of your own room and in others, hangin’ out.

1. Righteously rape the dining hall every day, for all it’s worth. Even though the food may be sub-par for a six-pack, it’s the only time you can have easy all you can eat food for nothing. Make it count. Besides, it’s great for bulking up. Drink your milk. Nalgene bottles come in very handy for that…

[quote]eengrms76 wrote:
I have one piece of advice- stay away from credit cards. Seriously they hand them out to college kids like candy. You’ll spend the next ten years paying them back along with your school loans. If you can’t afford it in cash wait until you can. I cannot stress this enough.[/quote]

Yeah, I sooooo ditto that one. They get booths set up all over campus offering “free stuff” like sunglasses or whatever, but they sign you up for plastic and try to take your soul. Debit or cash only. That way the worst that can happen is you overdraw.

Most if not all of your professors have written books. Find them (they’re usually in the school libraries), read them, regurgitate them in class and in papers.

Most of these have probably been mentioned, but I’ll list my advice in order of importance in my opinion. This is from a college senior graduating in December:

1. Go to class. Do not skip it unless you really are sick. Hang overs do not count. You are there to be a student. Be a student. Parties will happen anyways and if you miss one five more are around the corner. I and many others learned this the hard way.

2. Study. It is easier to maintain a decent GPA than it is to raise a shitty one. Get on top of your grades early.

3. Keep an ear and mind open for Major ideas. Pick one asap and get to work on it. Don’t be scared to change it once or twice though if you need too.

4. (The fun starts) join student organizations your first semester there. Pick groups you identify with who participate in activities you enjoy. Joining orginizations is the easiest way to meet like minded people and make friends on a college campus. For me it was a mountain biking club, a fraternity and later a marketing organization. Not only will you have fun and make friends, but your groups will become networking opportunities as you get close to graduating.

5. Have a balls to wall good time on the weekend, every weekend. Hang out with your new friends and take road trips to see your old friends. College is a unique time. You are young, have relatively zero responsibility outside of making it to class and have no supervision. Go buck wild, you’ll never be able to again.

6. Do meet as many females as you can. Freshman year can be rough, learn to lie and find a place you can pretend is yours other than your dorm room. (an older student who “takes you in” can probably help you out by pretending you are roomates)

7. Avoid cops. Run. Don’t listen when they crash a party and tell you you’ll be fine if you stay put. Especially if there is pot around and more especially if their is coke or other stuff, both of which will be available like you’d see in the movies. Even if you don’t participate, you’ll be fucked.

8. Call friends for bail, not your parents.

9. Take it as it comes and enjoy!