Advice For College Freshman

[quote]conner wrote:

1. Adderall - find a someone with a 'scrip, stock up early, make a killing during finals. Or use them yourself; they are great.

[/quote]

Stay away from drugs as much as possible. Seriously. More people get themselves fucked up and thrown off course with drugs. There are other ways to keep sharp than doing something illegal.

DB

I second the don’t bench on monday thing.

Don’t get discouraged at the amount of people in the gym the first 1-3 weeks of a semester because most of them stop coming.

Not skipping class make your life a 5x easier. Paying attention in class makes your life 100x easier. If you pay attention you don’t have to study as much because you should already have a pretty good understanding of what is going on. Furthermore, most professor make their tests from class material, so if you were there you should have a pretty good idea about what is on the test.

If you take lab classes try to find a smart person or someone you know to be your lab partner. Nothing suck more then having to do all the work because you lab partner sucks balls.

Try to participate in class. Even if it is just answer a question once and a while or going to office hours. Make the professor recognize you. It goes a long way.

Pulling all nighters is overrated try to avoid it at all costs.

DO NOT wait to the last week to try and cram everything in. Sometimes it work, but usually it doesn’t. If you pay attention in class and do all your homework even if it is optional or not collected, you shouldn’t really have to study that hard anyway.

1. Major in something that you can use in the real world.

2. If you are in a science or engineering program don’t listen to people who say school is easiser then work, it takes more work, much more than 40 hrs a week, so work from rise to bed during the week and save the partying for the weekend.

(For those of you who disagree, during my undergrad my peers and I put in 33 hrs of combined class and lab hrs a week, now add on the time we spent doing assignments for class, lab writeups, projects, and studying, and most of us put in around 70 hrs a week, any job I’ve had thus far has been cake compared to this)

1. Despite what some people are saying about going to every lecture sometimes it isn’t always best, depending on how shitty the prof is, for example, in first year chem I did shitty the 1st term, when 2nd term rolled around I quit going to that class all together and my mark went up by like 20%. However I wouldn’t do this in a small class, as it pisses the prof off.

2. Make friends with your profs, espeically in small classes.

3. Form work groups with your peers to do assignments, this makes things sooooooo much easier.

4. Sleep normally…I shit you not when I say 90% of the people I saw walking around when I lived in rez had raccoon eyes two monthes into the school year.

5. Use a rubber if you’re going to whore around, the first school I went had to sent out weekly emails indicating which STDs were going around that week.

[quote]Easy E wrote:

-DO NOT try to funnel Jack Daniels.

[/quote]

Seconded. Merlot through a funnel is also a bad idea. If its not beer. Dont funnel it.

[quote]Joe84 wrote:
1…
2…
3…
5…
6…
7…[/quote]

Learning how to count is a plus, also.

[quote]mike402 wrote:
Hey guys,

In a few weeks I’ll be heading off to college and I’m pretty excited. I’d like to hear any advice you all have for an entering college freshman. Anything from training/sex/diet/academics etc. Anything really. For those who have been there, or if you’re currently in school, I’d love to hear any advice. I’m sure I’m not the only one. Thanks guys!! [/quote]

Do ROTC. You graduate and become an officer and one of America’s finest. They pay for everything and you even get a stipend, like $900/month.

How cool, defending the greatest country in the history of the planet!

[quote]Headhunter wrote:
mike402 wrote:
Hey guys,

In a few weeks I’ll be heading off to college and I’m pretty excited. I’d like to hear any advice you all have for an entering college freshman. Anything from training/sex/diet/academics etc. Anything really. For those who have been there, or if you’re currently in school, I’d love to hear any advice. I’m sure I’m not the only one. Thanks guys!!

Do ROTC. You graduate and become an officer and one of America’s finest. They pay for everything and you even get a stipend, like $900/month.

How cool, defending the greatest country in the history of the planet!

[/quote]

I second this, Officer is the way to go.

[quote]Chewie wrote:
Joe84 wrote:
1…
2…
3…
5…
6…
7…

[/quote]

Yes well I fixed it within 5 minutes of my initial post, so congratulations on picking up a typo…let’s all give you a pat on the back for being Mr. typo finder.

[quote]Joe84 wrote:
Chewie wrote:
Joe84 wrote:
1…
2…
3…
5…
6…
7…

Yes well I fixed it within 5 minutes of my initial post, so congratulations on picking up a typo…let’s all give you a pat on the back for being Mr. typo finder. [/quote]

Pat, pat. Atta boy Chewie. Shame on Joe.

DB

[quote]dollarbill44 wrote:
conner wrote:

1. Adderall - find a someone with a 'scrip, stock up early, make a killing during finals. Or use them yourself; they are great.

Stay away from drugs as much as possible. Seriously. More people get themselves fucked up and thrown off course with drugs. There are other ways to keep sharp than doing something illegal.

DB[/quote]

Yeah, I just want to reinforce this so the OP knows something about the advice he is getting. All the people that are recommending you get prescriptions and sell them are telling you to break the law. You can make the decision yourself, but it should be an informed one - don’t let all the advice blur the fact that selling prescriptions is illegal.

I guess I would also say:

1. If not everyone lives on campus, buy a house with some buddies, room together, and sell the house in four years. If you can scrape together enough money for a down payment, the rent you would otherwise be paying can probably cover a mortgage. It will more than likely give you a nice chunk of change when you graduate.

2. Dedicate a certain amount of time each day to studying, no matter what. Even if you have no work to do for the next day, put an hour in reviewing or getting ahead. It will pay off in the long run.

3. Studying takes twice as long if you aren’t focused. Go to the library, don’t take music, don’t access the net - just study. If you get all your work for the day done at once while you are concentrating, you will know it better and you will have more time with friends after. You can either spend 4 hours doing an assignment while listening to music or IM’ing someone and learn about 70% of the material, or you can take 2 hours to learn it really well and have the other 2 hours to jerk off. It takes dedication, but again, it will be worth it. My school used to say, “friends, sleep, school, pick two.” That’s not the norm at most schools. You can have all three if you are dedicated and focused on your studying.

4. Don’t get a girlfriend at the beginning. You may think you’re getting more ass than the rest, but you aren’t. In college, you generally don’t want to be with the kind of girls that begin a relationship the first week.

5. Do stupid things only in a controlled, private environment. If you’re going to a private school, you will have a lot of leniency. If you’re not, you will much more easily get in trouble if you are screwing around in public.

6. Take a class that is totally different from what you are majoring in. If you are an engineer, take an art class. If nothing else, you will meet better-looking girls.

1. Get a nalgene bottle. Fill it every chance you get and carry it with you everywhere you go. This is the best way to ensure you drink enough.

2. Get the best GPA you can in the first year.

3. Eat breakfast. If nothing else get a blender and a small fridge for your room. Throw in some milk, protein powder, peanut butter and/or cottage cheese, I put in some olive oil or fish oil and a few of those oatmeal packets with some fruit flavor or just plain oats. Blend it up and chug it.

4. As has been said before, go to class and talk with your professors. If you disagree with them on something, research it and go talk with them about it. In my experience most will enjoy discussing things with you.

Pretty much what everyone said: Study hard, make friends in your classes and become study buddies with them, join clubs/organizations of interest to you, and take advantage of all the resources your school has to offer (career services, art gallery, plays, sporting events, parties, etc.)

Also, start going to career fairs your freshman year. Even if you don’t have enough experience, you will know what to do and what experience you need come your senior year when you are looking for jobs.

At the very least, it’s a great opportunity to stock up on school supplies (most companies have free pens, pencils, notepads, sticky note pads, magnets, etc. with their company logo on them).

[quote]joshuaforty wrote:
dollarbill44 wrote:
conner wrote:

DB

Yeah, I just want to reinforce this so the OP knows something about the advice he is getting. All the people that are recommending you get prescriptions and sell them are telling you to break the law. You can make the decision yourself, but it should be an informed one - don’t let all the advice blur the fact that selling prescriptions is illegal. [/quote]

So is underage drinking, which I don’t believe anyone has advised him against yet.

[quote]conner wrote:
joshuaforty wrote:
dollarbill44 wrote:
conner wrote:

DB

Yeah, I just want to reinforce this so the OP knows something about the advice he is getting. All the people that are recommending you get prescriptions and sell them are telling you to break the law. You can make the decision yourself, but it should be an informed one - don’t let all the advice blur the fact that selling prescriptions is illegal.

So is underage drinking, which I don’t believe anyone has advised him against yet.[/quote]

Jay-walking and murder are both illegal, yet one is frowned upon a lil’ more than the other.

1. Don’t ever skip class. Make that the only rule you’re never willing to compromise.

2. Make friends with the girls in your classes. Girls take better notes, work harder in general, and just make life better.

3. If you’re considering a fraternity, base your decision entirely on the sororities they associate with.

[quote]Bowzer wrote:
conner wrote:
joshuaforty wrote:
dollarbill44 wrote:
conner wrote:

DB

So is underage drinking, which I don’t believe anyone has advised him against yet.

Jay-walking and murder are both illegal, yet one is frowned upon a lil’ more than the other.[/quote]

Because jaywalking:murder::underage drinking:selling a few pills to your friends during finals.

And on a website which advocates steroid use nonetheless!

No one’s suggesting he starts a drug cartel and run hookers out of his dormroom, nor has anyone recommended active drug solicitation to strangers. I use Adderall for big papers and big tests, and if someone I know needs a boost to cram, then whatever. I don’t walk around in a trenchcoat with a bottle of pills next to my Stolexes, but I’m not too worried about helping a friend out in that regard.

Other than Chillain’s comment on fraternities. What do the rest of you guys thing? Good idea, bad idea?

[quote]NAUn wrote:
Other than Chillain’s comment on fraternities. What do the rest of you guys thing? Good idea, bad idea? [/quote]

Depends. They are a great way to make quick friends and get laid often, and can definitely ensure that you won’t be bored most nights. Easy to get alcohol (until you are 21), help with schoolwork every now and then, and it’s a place to crash if you wanna party 'til you drop.

On the other hand, there is the Hell Week, hazings, general obligations (sometimes monetary), etc…

Some frats come off as a collection of shady characters desperate to have friends, appear hip, and mack the gullible freshman girls, whereas others are a collection of cool guys. The sororities they affiliate with should be a factor, but keep in mind that you will be spending a lot of time with these guys, so it’s a wise move to make sure you get along with them.

Ultimately, it will depend on the particular frat. It never hurts to have the resources and loyalties of a bunch of guys when you’re new to the whole college thing, and you’ll definitely have no trouble meeting girls, but it can be a huge distraction from your academics if you can’t keep your head on straight.

I’m going into my senior year Monday:

1. Spend at least your freshman year on campus. My wife never lived on campus and bitches that she doesn’t know anyone.

2. Play a sport. It doesn’t have to be big. I played rugby, but would probably advocate some cheesedick sport. You have a ton of fun and get to meet people.

3. Don’t trust a girl when she tells you she’s on the pill. I could have gotten my insane ex knocked up.

4. Classes for your first year or two are EASY. If you care about your GPA then you’ll need those years to protect your GPA when you start taking the hard classes.

5. Do NOT do ROTC. If you want to join, choose a different path such as PLC. You don’t get much out of ROTC other than wearing a retarded uniform…wow. There are better things to be doing at 0600 than PT’ing with college kids.

6. Most of this other advice is pretty solid too, particularly the chow hall stuff and showing up to class. As a former Marine, trust me, COLLEGE IS FUN! If I was cool with even more student loans, I’d stay in school forever.

mike