Advice for Best 2 Day/Wk Program?

Hello.

I am 56 years old and have decided to start lifting again after over a 20 year lay off. After reading several books including all of Jim’s I have decided to follow one of his 2 day a week routines. I would like some help deciding which one would be best for my goals which is overall strength and well being. No competition of sports. I also need to work on my conditioning and mobility. Which is why I like Jim’s set up. I am not sure if full body like his option 1 or one of the splits would be a better choice.

I have the onset of arthritis. Years ago I slipped a disc in my lower back and it is constantly stiff. Also because of past shoulder injuries I can not do dips

Other stats;
Height 5’9"
Weight 175

Just tested 1 rep max in pounds

Squat 145
Dead lift 185
Bench 120
Press 80

My question is would you suggest a 2 day a week full body or a 2 day a week split and which one?

Thanks

If your workouts are split up (Monday and Thursday for example) I’d go with two full body workouts.

If they’re back to back (Saturday and Sunday for example) I’d go with the upper/lower split.

If you were to ask which way I’d do it I’d say the first way (Mon/Thu).

Thanks some_dude

Here is the full body plan I was looking at copied from 5/3/1 page 77

Monday
Squat 5/3/1 sets and reps
Bench 5/3/1 sets and reps
Assistance Exercises:
Chin-ups 3 sets of 10 reps
Back Raises 3 sets of 15 reps
Dumbbell Bench Press 3 sets of 10 reps
Rear Laterals 3 sets of 20 reps

Wednesday or Thursday
Dead lift 5/3/1 sets and reps
Press 5/3/1 sets and reps
Assistance Exercises:
Dumbbell Rows 3 sets of 10 reps
Dips 3 sets of 10 - 15 reps
Good Mornings 3 sets of 10 reps
Curls 3 sets of 10 reps

If I followed this Monday and Thursday I would do conditioning on Tuesday and Friday and mobility on Wednesday and Saturday correct?

Also do you have a good substitute for dips?

Thanks

[quote]Jeff H wrote:

If I followed this Monday and Thursday I would do conditioning on Tuesday and Friday and mobility on Wednesday and Saturday correct?

Also do you have a good substitute for dips?

Thanks[/quote]

Correct.

Don’t feel you need to do all 4 assistance exercises your first time out. Id start with one and slowly add another in every few weeks until you learn how well you recover. Most people start out in the gym way too hard and burn out within a month or two. Understand that the first 4-16 weeks will be exciting with quick progression and then you’ll hit a wall. Most people are mentally unprepared for that wall, get frustrated and quit… But, if you stay the course and follow 5/3/1s principles you’ll continue to make slow, steady progress.

For dips, pretty much any triceps exercise… Triceps extensions, push downs, push-ups, close grip bench press, etc.

One last question. I walk daily but as far as conditioning what would you recommend. Just because of the arthritis I know I can not run hills but the gym I have signed up with does have treadmill, airdynes, and a couple of prowlers. Which would you suggest and how should I progress.

the best piece of cardio equipment is the one you’ll actually use. Some people love bikes, some love treadmills, others love rowers or the prowler. In the end I don’t think it matters so long as you’re doing something.

As for how to progress, start too light and progress slowly. It’s hard to give specific advice here because I don’t know you and can’t assess your starting level of fitness. My generic advice is start with 20 minute sessions and go easy. Remember that when you’re 65 the last 10 years of strength and muscle mass will pay more dividends than the cardio.