T Nation

Advice for Bench Programming!

Hey! I am looking for a new training method(program) for my bench. Let me share some history of what i have used.
#3yrs bench press in total
First 2,5yrs was basically BB training, ie many sets and reps. Did not get me far in terms of strength gains.

Anyway the First program i used was Smolov jr, and i added 33lbs on my bench in the 3weeks(this was 4 months ago)
Second program i used was MM2k, i think it stands for Muscle media 2k, just finished it and i got about 30lbs out of it which i am satisfied with.

So currently my bench is at 130kg=285lbs at a BW of 187lbs(height 5ft11. Even though i got out a lot of strength gains from the two programs i have used i no longer get newbie gains ie weekly gains.

I am now looking in to something new to try out, so any advice is appreciated. I have looked in to westside and that seems fine, although a bit tricky… =)

westside/conjugate method isn’t too tricky you just have to do what works for you. What I’ve been doing is:
Monday
bench
5x5
db bench
rows

Wednesday
ohp
dead bench
more rows/upper back work

friday
max effort
rotate floor press/fat grip bench/ closegrip bench/ chain bench
next week’s max effort lift
medium-heavy 5x5 depending on how I feel
then light upper back

you added 33lbs with Smolov JR…I would run Smolov JR again. Even is you only get 50% of your previous results, that still puts you at a 300lbs bench.

[quote]budreiser wrote:
westside/conjugate method isn’t too tricky you just have to do what works for you. What I’ve been doing is:
Monday
bench
5x5
db bench
rows

Wednesday
ohp
dead bench
more rows/upper back work

friday
max effort
rotate floor press/fat grip bench/ closegrip bench/ chain bench
next week’s max effort lift
medium-heavy 5x5 depending on how I feel
then light upper back[/quote]

Might try out westside, what strength gains on your bench have you got? Btw i am a raw lifter

[quote]Chicksan wrote:
you added 33lbs with Smolov JR…I would run Smolov JR again. Even is you only get 50% of your previous results, that still puts you at a 300lbs bench.[/quote]
Well i would have, but after the first smolov jr cycle i had some bad pain in my pecs. If i go beyond benching 2 times a week lower then 5 reps to fail that pain appears… :confused:

33 lbs is awesome, congrats man. When I ran Smolov I used a somewhat narrow grip (pinky on rings), which put less strain on my pecs and shoulders.

[quote]Trixen wrote:

[quote]budreiser wrote:
westside/conjugate method isn’t too tricky you just have to do what works for you. What I’ve been doing is:
Monday
bench
5x5
db bench
rows

Wednesday
ohp
dead bench
more rows/upper back work

friday
max effort
rotate floor press/fat grip bench/ closegrip bench/ chain bench
next week’s max effort lift
medium-heavy 5x5 depending on how I feel
then light upper back[/quote]

Might try out westside, what strength gains on your bench have you got? Btw i am a raw lifter
[/quote]
I went from 255 to 305 from the beginning of school to the end of it this year. I’m a raw lifter as well. I weigh around 180 depending on how much I eat.

[quote]budreiser wrote:

[quote]Trixen wrote:

[quote]budreiser wrote:
westside/conjugate method isn’t too tricky you just have to do what works for you. What I’ve been doing is:
Monday
bench
5x5
db bench
rows

Wednesday
ohp
dead bench
more rows/upper back work

friday
max effort
rotate floor press/fat grip bench/ closegrip bench/ chain bench
next week’s max effort lift
medium-heavy 5x5 depending on how I feel
then light upper back[/quote]

Might try out westside, what strength gains on your bench have you got? Btw i am a raw lifter
[/quote]
I went from 255 to 305 from the beginning of school to the end of it this year. I’m a raw lifter as well. I weigh around 180 depending on how much I eat. [/quote]
Ait, well thats awesome gains =) But you dont do any DE? I have heard raw lifters are better off replacing if with RE work.

[quote]Trixen wrote:

[quote]budreiser wrote:

[quote]Trixen wrote:

[quote]budreiser wrote:
westside/conjugate method isn’t too tricky you just have to do what works for you. What I’ve been doing is:
Monday
bench
5x5
db bench
rows

Wednesday
ohp
dead bench
more rows/upper back work

friday
max effort
rotate floor press/fat grip bench/ closegrip bench/ chain bench
next week’s max effort lift
medium-heavy 5x5 depending on how I feel
then light upper back[/quote]

Might try out westside, what strength gains on your bench have you got? Btw i am a raw lifter
[/quote]
I went from 255 to 305 from the beginning of school to the end of it this year. I’m a raw lifter as well. I weigh around 180 depending on how much I eat. [/quote]
Ait, well thats awesome gains =) But you dont do any DE? I have heard raw lifters are better off replacing if with RE work.
[/quote]
Yeah the de work just tore up my elbows. That’s why monday is a 5x5 instead of the de work

You could also try out some of the russian routines, i.e Sheiko.
Lots of volume with high frequency and moderate intensity. Good way to improve your raw strength, your technique and adds a solid amount of hypertrophy.

I’ve run #29 and #30 and I increased my bench from 225 to 245 in a month, as well as from 155 to 210 (after a 4 year break).

…or just run smolov again, since you got good gains on it. Because of the large variety in rep-range, stalling on the program isn’t likely, unless it’s due to fatigue.

[quote]budreiser wrote:
westside/conjugate method isn’t too tricky you just have to do what works for you.[/quote]

isnt too tricky. of all the strength programs that could be listed and are effective westside is one of the most difficult and complicated. nearly all the others tell you exactly what weight to use, exactly what exercises, exactly how many reps on exactly what days.

westside is more of a template and you have to know what exercises at what intensity and volume.

sheiko put 15lbs on my bench max. 460lbs to 475lbs.

give it a shot.

[quote]asooneyeonig wrote:

[quote]budreiser wrote:
westside/conjugate method isn’t too tricky you just have to do what works for you.[/quote]

isnt too tricky. of all the strength programs that could be listed and are effective westside is one of the most difficult and complicated. nearly all the others tell you exactly what weight to use, exactly what exercises, exactly how many reps on exactly what days.

westside is more of a template and you have to know what exercises at what intensity and volume. [/quote]
Ok so maybe “isn’t too tricky” was a bad choice of words. I think a lot about my training, so westside works well for me. I like it because it gives me a lot of room to move things around and to see what works and what doesn’t. If OP doesn’t feel like experimenting to see what works for him right now then he should do sheiko or 5/3/1 or a 5x5

[quote]budreiser wrote:

[quote]asooneyeonig wrote:

[quote]budreiser wrote:
westside/conjugate method isn’t too tricky you just have to do what works for you.[/quote]

isnt too tricky. of all the strength programs that could be listed and are effective westside is one of the most difficult and complicated. nearly all the others tell you exactly what weight to use, exactly what exercises, exactly how many reps on exactly what days.

westside is more of a template and you have to know what exercises at what intensity and volume. [/quote]
Ok so maybe “isn’t too tricky” was a bad choice of words. I think a lot about my training, so westside works well for me. I like it because it gives me a lot of room to move things around and to see what works and what doesn’t. If OP doesn’t feel like experimenting to see what works for him right now then he should do sheiko or 5/3/1 or a 5x5[/quote]
I’d rather do smolov than sheiko, since i made really good gains with smolov. 5/3/1 is not something im up for yet, my squat and deadlift is too weak atm(coming back from back injury) even though i could just do 5/3/1 solely for bench i still think i can make more than 10kgs a year with different methods. Hell i went from 242—>300(hit 300 today!) in 4months. 5x5 i dont think would work though, im way past those newbie gains even though i’ve had great gains lately i usually dont gain so much.

[quote]Trixen wrote:

[quote]budreiser wrote:

[quote]asooneyeonig wrote:

[quote]budreiser wrote:
westside/conjugate method isn’t too tricky you just have to do what works for you.[/quote]

isnt too tricky. of all the strength programs that could be listed and are effective westside is one of the most difficult and complicated. nearly all the others tell you exactly what weight to use, exactly what exercises, exactly how many reps on exactly what days.

westside is more of a template and you have to know what exercises at what intensity and volume. [/quote]
Ok so maybe “isn’t too tricky” was a bad choice of words. I think a lot about my training, so westside works well for me. I like it because it gives me a lot of room to move things around and to see what works and what doesn’t. If OP doesn’t feel like experimenting to see what works for him right now then he should do sheiko or 5/3/1 or a 5x5[/quote]
I’d rather do smolov than sheiko, since i made really good gains with smolov. 5/3/1 is not something im up for yet, my squat and deadlift is too weak atm(coming back from back injury) even though i could just do 5/3/1 solely for bench i still think i can make more than 10kgs a year with different methods. Hell i went from 242—>300(hit 300 today!) in 4months. 5x5 i dont think would work though, im way past those newbie gains even though i’ve had great gains lately i usually dont gain so much.[/quote]
Pretty much any program is going to work if you bust your ass doing it. Just do any of the programs that you think you would enjoy/think would work.

[quote]budreiser wrote:

[quote]asooneyeonig wrote:

[quote]budreiser wrote:
westside/conjugate method isn’t too tricky you just have to do what works for you.[/quote]

isnt too tricky. of all the strength programs that could be listed and are effective westside is one of the most difficult and complicated. nearly all the others tell you exactly what weight to use, exactly what exercises, exactly how many reps on exactly what days.

westside is more of a template and you have to know what exercises at what intensity and volume. [/quote]
Ok so maybe “isn’t too tricky” was a bad choice of words. I think a lot about my training, so westside works well for me. I like it because it gives me a lot of room to move things around and to see what works and what doesn’t. If OP doesn’t feel like experimenting to see what works for him right now then he should do sheiko or 5/3/1 or a 5x5[/quote]

Agreed. It’s obviously not as easy to pick up as a program that tells you “Do this lift, with X weight for Y reps over Z sets.” But it’s also not nearly as difficult as people make it out to be. It’s always a learning process, even for Louie still to this day. A couple hours of reading and you can get a firm grasp on the basics.

I’m the same way, I really like to think a lot about my lifting and progress, so I’ve learned a lot from training within Louie’s conjugate system and I’ve really enjoyed it. Plus, maxing out twice a week is great. Something to really look forward to, and hitting a new PR always provides an unmatched high. Add in the fact that I’ve seen much better gains and it’s a no brainer.