Advice for Back to School Eating?

I’m about to start up another year of high school, and this will change my diet around a lot. I will only be able to get 3 meals in on some days, since I have to work also. So I have some questions about what to do.

1. I have heard your body can only consume 50-60 g of protein in one sitting, so since I can only get 3 meals in, how should I get my protein needs? (A shake throughout the day is not an option, my school only allows water throughout the day) Is it alright to eat something right before bed?

2. Does anyone know a cheap lunch that would be easily transported and have over 1000 cal with a good amount of protein?

3. Not really a back to school question, but how much do rolled oats cost about? I’m looking to add some more calories to my breakfast.

Can’t remember any other questions, but I would appreciate any advice.

[quote]fisch wrote:
I’m about to start up another year of high school, and this will change my diet around a lot. I will only be able to get 3 meals in on some days, since I have to work also. So I have some questions about what to do.

1. I have heard your body can only consume 50-60 g of protein in one sitting, so since I can only get 3 meals in, how should I get my protein needs? (A shake throughout the day is not an option, my school only allows water throughout the day) Is it alright to eat something right before bed?

2. Does anyone know a cheap lunch that would be easily transported and have over 1000 cal with a good amount of protein?

3. Not really a back to school question, but how much do rolled oats cost about? I’m looking to add some more calories to my breakfast.

Can’t remember any other questions, but I would appreciate any advice.[/quote]

1. Can you fit in two meals in the morning? A shake on waking up and then a big breakfast an hour or an hour and a half later?

Yes it is alright to eat right before bed but make sure it has some slow digesting protein and not too many carbs (unless you’re a hardgainer).

1. Sandwiches with lunch meat and cheese, yogurt (or both)

2. Rolled oat price varies depending on brand and quantity. About 1.50-2.00 dollars for the smaller cans, and 3.50-4.00 for the larger cans.

This is assuming we are talking about a store brand or Quaker; not a gourmet or organic brand. You might be able to find bulk oats at a health food store cheaper but make sure they are fresh and frequently rotated at the store.

[quote]fisch wrote:

Can’t remember any other questions, but I would appreciate any advice.[/quote]

1. never heard any such thing, I can put as much as 100g of protein in my body in a single sitting, but to get some protein all day long I would recommend casein. It is slowly digested so your body gets some protein throughout tho whole day.

2. mass gainer shake and a couple peanut butter and banana sandwiches; that’s usually what I eat for I quick healthy meal.

3. not a clue, if by chance you mean quick oats (in the big bin thing) then like 2 or 3$ for it.

[quote]fisch wrote:
(A shake throughout the day is not an option, my school only allows water throughout the day)[/quote]

Goody two-shoe. :smiley:

Haha kidding, but, just out of curiosity, can’t you atleast sneak into the bathroom and chug one down, just to help with extra calories/fat/protein/whatever else?

Tell your school to shove it up there ass… and drink shakes lol.

You know, this might be one of those times that a protein bar might actually be the right answer.

BCAA powder if you get the right kind It will be clear when you mix it. just say it is water.

I’m thinking I have an idea of what I want to do. I’ll probably bring a shake for mid-morning (like an hour or more before lunch) and drink it in the bathroom. Then for lunch i’ll just get a couple Ham and Cheese or PB&J sandwichs with some fruit, pretzels, and 1% milk (I want 2%, but I would have to bring my own and transporting just 1 item isn’t worth it to me).

What would be some good stuff to put into the shake, all I know ill be putting in is Grow! and some milk. If anyone has some suggestions to get more calories, id love to hear them.

[quote]Spencerulz wrote:
BCAA powder if you get the right kind It will be clear when you mix it. just say it is water.[/quote]

BCAA has a particular smell to it. Nosey teachers might cry alcohol.

1. Bring food with you to school.
  2. Take some pizzas and milk with you in your bag, and during the recess, head into the bathroom and stuff it down. I did this when I was strapped for time or had long days with particularly nasty teachers.

[quote]fisch wrote:
I’m thinking I have an idea of what I want to do. I’ll probably bring a shake for mid-morning (like an hour or more before lunch) and drink it in the bathroom. Then for lunch i’ll just get a couple Ham and Cheese or PB&J sandwichs with some fruit, pretzels, and 1% milk (I want 2%, but I would have to bring my own and transporting just 1 item isn’t worth it to me).

What would be some good stuff to put into the shake, all I know ill be putting in is Grow! and some milk. If anyone has some suggestions to get more calories, id love to hear them.[/quote]

Olive oil, pb (make sure you mix it up well).

[quote]Vicomte wrote:
Spencerulz wrote:
BCAA powder if you get the right kind It will be clear when you mix it. just say it is water.

BCAA has a particular smell to it. Nosey teachers might cry alcohol.[/quote]

Your talking to a kid who has flasks in his flip flops… lol
I’d personally let them try it…say “hey if you think this is alcohol then try it for yourself”

I have a similar question. My friend can get me Optimum Nutrition Whey Protein for 50% of the price, and since I wont have a lot of money on campus, I was wondering how it stacks up as far as protein shakes go.