T Nation

Advice for a Football Newbie...

I am starting football this year, and was wondering if anyone had advice. Here is my weekly routine: go to the gym to do regular workout-4 2 5 days a week- run sprints-5 days a week- do drills/footwork @ the gym- 2-3 days a week.

For my reg workout I do three sets and as many reps I can do until my form gets bad or I can't do anymore. After the that I do a finisher: planks, thrusters, sled drags,or just anything that wears me out.

I do one explosive, vertical push/pull, horizontal push/pull, one knee movement, one hip movement, then bridges and/or rotational.

I was wondering if anyone had any lifts or drills for a new-2-football 12 year old.

post routine and stats, taking any supps?

Sounds like your heading down the right track with explosive training like sprints, sled-drags, etc. Also make sure when you go in the weightroom you squat HEAVY, and do powercleans.

[quote]NoseGuardSeth wrote:
I was wondering if anyone had any lifts or drills for a new-2-football 12 year old.[/quote]

your drills look good and listen to your football coach.

if he is a good coach he will play off your strengths and then work on your weaknesses so they are no longer weaknesses.

I think the main thing for a 12 year old isnt training but having fun with foootball.if it is what it is and thats a game then the strngth and skill comes along,dont worry.
but the drills you posted do look good though I think
watch for many,many windsprints from goal post to goal post,sled drags,up downs ( burpees thats what we called them)
and not only dragging that slep but pushing a weighted sled.

[quote]zephead4747 wrote:
post routine and stats, taking any supps? [/quote]

I don’t take many supps, exept for the occasional whey protein shots.

I’m about 5’6’’ and I weigh 160.

Thanks for posting, by the way.

Work on the front squat, power clean/snatch, and the push press. Take it pretty light, or do some bodyweight stuff for a few sessions before hitting weights.

I do lots and lots of front squats in my workouts. Also, I have been working on my cleans and snatches. I will work harder on my military press. . .

[quote]triple-10sets wrote:
Sounds like your heading down the right track with explosive training like sprints, sled-drags, etc. Also make sure when you go in the weightroom you squat HEAVY, and do powercleans.[/quote]

Thanks. I try to squat pretty heavy,and I do power cleans and snatches.

[quote]nichaaron wrote:
NoseGuardSeth wrote:
I was wondering if anyone had any lifts or drills for a new-2-football 12 year old.

your drills look good and listen to your football coach.

if he is a good coach he will play off your strengths and then work on your weaknesses so they are no longer weaknesses.

I think the main thing for a 12 year old isnt training but having fun with foootball.if it is what it is and thats a game then the strngth and skill comes along,dont worry.
but the drills you posted do look good though I think
watch for many,many windsprints from goal post to goal post,sled drags,up downs ( burpees thats what we called them)
and not only dragging that slep but pushing a weighted sled.

I will try to listen to my coach, and I know I’ll have some fun with football.
I’ll start sprinting more.
The sled I drag weighs about 225 lbs.
thanks for the advice!

Any self respecting football player has the following weight workouts in his plan:
Incline bench
Squat ( make sure your ass grazes them ground before coming back up)
Clean and Press
Clean and Jerk
Leg Press
Tricep Extention
Bent over rows
Deadlifts

If you add those to your workout, you will be in shape to play virtualy every position on the field. Make sure to sprint like a mother and you should do fine.

Sorry. I forgot to tell what position I’ll probably playing.
I’ll be nose guard/center
or middle linebacker/center
Think that might help with what training I will need.

Sorry. I forgot to tell what position I’ll probably playing.
I’ll be nose guard/center
or middle linebacker/center
Think that might help with what training I will need.[/quote]

Good man. I played offensive guard for 5 years.

Seeing as your 12, and aren’t playing at the HS level yet, if you chose to go with a Line position you’re going to need one major thing, EXPLOSIVENESS. Being a guard, I was the fastest off the line, except for maybe the center.

Work on foot work, speed drills and most importantly, EXPLODING OUT OF YOUR STANCE. Make sure you get your 3 point stance down correctly, and I’m guessing your coach will teach you that. Once you get your stance down, work on stance drills and exploding out of it. For example, get in your stance and explode out sprinting 5-10 yards and get right back down into your stance again, repeat.

Here are some good, basic Drills:
http://www.football-plays-and-drills.com/football-drills-4-corners-box-drill.html

Here are Some good videos: Just check out the left hand side for all the videos.

http://video.google.com/videosearch?hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=com.kodakgallery:en-US:official&hs=LYk&q=O-Line+drills&oe=UTF-8&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wv&oi=property_suggestions&resnum=0&ct=property-revision&cd=1

A day:
power clean 3x3 ramping weight
front squat 3x12
push press 4x5
bodyweight chins 2xfail

B day:
-power snatch 4x3 careful with these
-Bench press (DO NOT use a wide grip, I hurt my shoulder doing this, without having the adequate base first. pinkys on the rings for you)
-Front squats 5x5

• bent over rows 3x8

Something like this should cover your bases. Watch a lot of youtube videos on the power snatch and clean. Check out the local highschool’s weightroom and find someone to teach them too you if you can. Go ass to grass on the front squats, keep your heels on the ground. Not meaning to be mean but you’re twelve, Trying a one rep max every week may or may not be productive for you. probably the latter. Building your strength levels up while your this young, you’ll have guys like me blown out of the water once you hit highschool.

You should also look at madcows 5x5, and read everything you can find on that website. Just google it.

Id go with linebacker & tight end/running back That height and weight in high school is a bit too light later on @ the average high school division 1 level.

Then again linebackers can have so much fun… From smashing recievers, to blitzes, to interceptions, and putting the lights out of a running back. AH THE JOY.

My 2 cents ~ Oh don’t forget to enjoy yourself.

Zephead4747 wrote:
Not meaning to be mean but you’re twelve, Trying a one rep max every week may or may not be productive for you. probably the latter.

1 rep max? I at least get 3 reps a set. I would rather go down in weight and increase my reps than just do a 1 rep max.

Zephead4747 wrote:
Not meaning to be mean but you’re twelve, Trying a one rep max every week may or may not be productive for you. probably the latter.

1 rep max? I at least get 3 reps a set. I would rather go down in weight and increase my reps than just do a 1 rep max. [/quote]

just making sure :).