T Nation

Advice? :D

I still consider myself a newbie, so I figured i’d post here. I’m 5’10, male, 19yr old, and last time I checked I was about 210 lb. But, since then I’ve lost weight and gained some muscle.

I have a few questions actually, my first question is: how much cheese is too much? Sometimes when I’m lazy and want something quick, I put a small pizza on the pizza maker and eat that, and I also put cheese on my burgers, sandwiches; I heard it was a good thing to eat a lot of dairy is this true for someone wanting to build a lot of muscle?

My second question is: can I effectively build muscle all over my body just by using dumbells? Or should I be going to the gym? I figured since the dumbell exercises are so diverse that it was a good choice, and its easier on my schedule between work & college.

Right now i’m only using 25 pound dumbells, but they’ve gotten easier to lift, they still put a strain on me depending on what exercise I do however. Should I move on to something heavier if I want to build muscle?

My third question is: should I have a stricter diet to lose the excess fat on my belly or should I just exercise the muscles in that area? Or both? Would I not gain as much if I dieted?

Edit: Also I forgot to ask, should I use nitric oxide and creatine? Or just plain whey protein and milk? Or a combination of those?

Much thanks :o]

Assuming you’re not a troll… You can’t spot reduce, if you want to lose fat get your diet and training in check. Training your abs won’t make them more visible if you have fat over them. Also do a search and look up a program for beginners. You’re eventually going to have to lift more than 25 pounds.

[quote]xuyena wrote:
I have a few questions actually, my first question is: how much cheese is too much? Sometimes when I’m lazy and want something quick, I put a small pizza on the pizza maker and eat that, and I also put cheese on my burgers, sandwiches; I heard it was a good thing to eat a lot of dairy is this true for someone wanting to build a lot of muscle?[/quote]

Don’t see a problem with it. Keep it in moderation tho. How much cheese are you eating? Weight the amount of cheese with a scale, if you have one.

[quote]My second question is: can I effectively build muscle all over my body just by using dumbells? Or should I be going to the gym? I figured since the dumbell exercises are so diverse that it was a good choice, and its easier on my schedule between work & college.
Right now i’m only using 25 pound dumbells, but they’ve gotten easier to lift, they still put a strain on me depending on what exercise I do however. Should I move on to something heavier if I want to build muscle?[/quote]

Once your body starts getting used to the amount of weight your doing it will have no reason to grow. You need MUCH heavier weights than 25 lbs dumbbells. Doesn’t your college have a gym free to students?

Diet IS everything when it comes to training for size and or weight loss. I would go as far as 85% diet and 15% training. Exercising the muscle in that area in hopes to lose fat will NOT work. Don’t get sucked into the “high reps (15-20) will tone me”. It doesn’t work like that. Weight loss specific cardio will along with proper dieting.

N.O. supplement = loads of caffeine. Better off buying a ephedrine and caffeine supplement, cheaper. Creatine is a good product just buy powdered monohydrate such as Biotest offeres. Don’t get sucked into other companies that charge you $100 of creatine mixed with other crap. Whey protein is very good to use as well. After a workout or on the go for a meal replacement. If your trying to lose weight don’t mix with milk as it will add unwanted fats and sugars. If you can’t drink it with water go 0%-1% milk never higher.

[quote]chimera182 wrote:
Assuming you’re not a troll… You can’t spot reduce, if you want to lose fat get your diet and training in check. Training your abs won’t make them more visible if you have fat over them. Also do a search and look up a program for beginners. You’re eventually going to have to lift more than 25 pounds.[/quote]

I’m not, just ignorant :stuck_out_tongue: thanks for the info :smiley:

[quote]xuyena wrote:
chimera182 wrote:
Assuming you’re not a troll… You can’t spot reduce, if you want to lose fat get your diet and training in check. Training your abs won’t make them more visible if you have fat over them. Also do a search and look up a program for beginners. You’re eventually going to have to lift more than 25 pounds.

I’m not, just ignorant :stuck_out_tongue: thanks for the info :smiley:
[/quote]

It’s hard to tell sometimes, sorry bout that. Do you have access to a gym? If not there are some articles on training at home.

I have access, but its hard to make the time for going there though.

[quote]Fuzzyapple wrote:

Don’t see a problem with it. Keep it in moderation tho. How much cheese are you eating? Weight the amount of cheese with a scale, if you have one.

[/quote]

not much, just on pizzas and like a couple slices of cheese for sandwiches. but for the purpose of losing weight and looking fitter is dairy still alright to eat if i’m trying to gain muscle?

[quote]Fuzzyapple wrote:

[/quote]

not much, just on pizzas and like a couple slices of cheese for sandwiches. but for the purpose of losing weight and looking fitter is dairy still alright to eat if i’m trying to gain muscle?

25 pound dumbbells aren’t going to take you far. Maybe if you could up those dumbbells to 120+…

[quote]xuyena wrote:
Fuzzyapple wrote:

not much, just on pizzas and like a couple slices of cheese for sandwiches. but for the purpose of losing weight and looking fitter is dairy still alright to eat if i’m trying to gain muscle?[/quote]

Good for muscle gain because dairy contains protein. Just don’t go overboard with it. That is typically how much cheese I use for things daily so I can imagine it’s not much.

[quote]xuyena wrote:
I have access, but its hard to make the time for going there though.[/quote]

Most people here are going to tell you to just make time if it’s important to you. Look Nate Green’s time management tips or something (I’ll look for a link later), find stuff things that matter to you less than your body and cut them out to get some extra time.

here’s that article I was talking about, page 4

[quote]xuyena wrote:
I still consider myself a newbie, so I figured i’d post here. I’m 5’10, male, 19yr old, and last time I checked I was about 210 lb. But, since then I’ve lost weight and gained some muscle.

I have a few questions actually, my first question is: how much cheese is too much? Sometimes when I’m lazy and want something quick, I put a small pizza on the pizza maker and eat that, and I also put cheese on my burgers, sandwiches; I heard it was a good thing to eat a lot of dairy is this true for someone wanting to build a lot of muscle?

My second question is: can I effectively build muscle all over my body just by using dumbells? Or should I be going to the gym? I figured since the dumbell exercises are so diverse that it was a good choice, and its easier on my schedule between work & college.

Right now i’m only using 25 pound dumbells, but they’ve gotten easier to lift, they still put a strain on me depending on what exercise I do however. Should I move on to something heavier if I want to build muscle?

My third question is: should I have a stricter diet to lose the excess fat on my belly or should I just exercise the muscles in that area? Or both? Would I not gain as much if I dieted?

Edit: Also I forgot to ask, should I use nitric oxide and creatine? Or just plain whey protein and milk? Or a combination of those?

Much thanks :o][/quote]

Regarding cheese, there’s no reason why not to eat it if it fits in with your allowed calories and fat/protein intake. I lost 30lbs of fat last year while putting on muscle(I was a Former Fat Boy at 210), and I ate tons of cheese (usually the reduced calorie stuff so I could fit it into my diet easier, since it’s pretty calorically dense and I like to eat). Just make sure you get adequate fibre, cuz too much cheese will block you up.

As for the dumbells, yeah, you can effectively build muscle all over your body with the proper dumbell exercises, but not with just those 25lbs dumbells. I suggest you get the gym membership and find a way to make time (unless you wanna blow a lot more money for some dumbells).

And dude. Diet it HUGE! If you want to lose fat, you need proper diet! No matter how hard you work, you can’t outtrain a shitty diet. And spot reducing doesn’t work. Just eat right, and work hard. On that note, why are you eating a bunch of pizza, burgers, and sandwiches?(If anyone knows of a way to make eating pizza help me shed fat, I’d love to know, because I’m missing out on life). I mean, the occasional cheat meal is ok, depending on your diet, but not regularly. Clean up your diet, and you’ll see better fat loss results.

If you’re doing adequate resistance training, you won’t really lose muscle if you work on fat loss (and since you’re a beginner, you might even make gains).

And finally: Nitric oxide = don’t waste your money.
Creatine = hit the gym for a while first to drop your fat. No use spending the money now.
Protein powder = never a bad idea. Especially if you’re eating shitty college food and can’t get enough protein.

Hope that helps. Best of luck.

[quote]Fuzzyapple wrote:

N.O. supplement = loads of caffeine. Better off buying a ephedrine and caffeine supplement, cheaper. Creatine is a good product just buy powdered monohydrate such as Biotest offeres. Don’t get sucked into other companies that charge you $100 of creatine mixed with other crap. Whey protein is very good to use as well. After a workout or on the go for a meal replacement. If your trying to lose weight don’t mix with milk as it will add unwanted fats and sugars. If you can’t drink it with water go 0%-1% milk never higher.
[/quote]

Horrible advice for a newbie.

Yes, the OP doesn’t need to waste money on NO products, but there’s no reason for him to ephedrine prior to training either.

He should learn how to push himself before taking a product that puts the body under greater stress.

[quote]
Yes, the OP doesn’t need to waste money on NO products, but there’s no reason for him to ephedrine prior to training either.

He should learn how to push himself before taking a product that puts the body under greater stress.[/quote]

so is caffeine off limits?

[quote]HK24719 wrote:
Fuzzyapple wrote:

N.O. supplement = loads of caffeine. Better off buying a ephedrine…

Horrible advice for a newbie.

He should learn how to push himself before taking a product that puts the body under greater stress.[/quote]

I agree with you on this. I never took into consideration how new he is. Thanks.