T Nation

Advice, Cutting or Bulking?


#1

Hey guys this is my first post and im new to this forum. I am 17 years old, have been lifting for 3 years, and my lifts are a 315 lbs bench press, (95 lbs shoulder press 6RM), squat and deadlift idk because of a sprained ankle and torn hip flexor. I weigh around 210 lbs with a decent amount of muscle, but also carry a little more fat than I would like (not a great amount).

My question is I am torn between bulking or cutting. I would like to cut, but the only problem is i head off to university next year, which means I will be eating mainly cafeteria food, making it hard for me to continue to cut). I am also going to be away on vacations during the spring and summer time (over a month), which would also affect my dieting.

Last time i cut i had lost 40 lbs and it took me aorund 6 months, which means i would need roughly the same and i feel like i would not have a lot of time in my situation.

In my case, would you still pursue the time of cutting (on and off), or bulk at a slower rate with eating in moderation and cleaner food sources while still training hard.

I really am having a hard time/dilemma figuring out this situation on my own and it be great to have some of your inputs. Thanks.


Should Teenagers 'Bulk' and 'Cut'?
#2

What is your end goal?

No-one can choose your goals your goals for you, we can just help you get there.


#3

[quote]dagill2 wrote:
What is your end goal?

No-one can choose your goals your goals for you, we can just help you get there.[/quote]

This. We really can’t give you much advice otherwise.

Also, it is very easy to cut with food available in the cafeteria. All the beer drinking in college is what will affect your physique.


#4

[quote]Ripsaw3689 wrote:

[quote]dagill2 wrote:
What is your end goal?

No-one can choose your goals your goals for you, we can just help you get there.[/quote]

This. We really can’t give you much advice otherwise.

Also, it is very easy to cut with food available in the cafeteria. All the beer drinking in college is what will affect your physique. [/quote]

I am studying in postsecondary right now. I live on my own. I don’t follow a meal plan, count calories, or anything like that. While I cook for myself and keep my protein intake fairly high (at least on training days), the demands of being a single dad, working part-time, and being in medical school all at once mean that my diet and sleep, and less often training, all too often suck way more than they should.

But don’t let that deter you from trying if you want to cut. My profile pic is from about a week ago. I haven’t done cardio in months and I’m not particularly trying to cut either. So it would be very easy to introduce small changes that would allow me to cut if I decided to try. If you want to cut down to an “attractive” level of BF, that’s actually really easy. Just start introducing small changes until you are progressing in the desired direction at a rate that is reasonable for you.

If you are looking to cut in order to step on stage, that’s a different ballgame entirely.


#5

My main goal has been strength, and I have put on over 60 lbs on my bench press in under a year, but I am slightly discouraged now considering i havent been able to squat and deadlifts for over 3 months now.

I want to be lean one day, but it doesnt seem like now is the right point in my life due to my circumstances.

Do you guys think doing a short cut for 3-4 months would be beneficial? Then I could continue to bulk after that.


#6

How tall are you?

Any particular reason your shoulder press is so much weaker than your bench press?


#7

At 17 “bulk” and “cut” shouldn’t even be a part of your vocabulary.

Get enough protein. Don’t pig out. Find healthy foods you enjoy and learn how to approximate your macros just to make sure they’re balanced. More carbs on training days, less on rest days, try to get them in around your training. Train like a beast and push your limits.


#8

i dont think the ratio of shoulder pressing 95 lbs dumbbells on each hand is considered that weak/low…unless you were thinking of 95 lbs in total then yeah that would be lol.


#9

[quote]jskrabac wrote:
At 17 “bulk” and “cut” shouldn’t even be a part of your vocabulary.

Get enough protein. Don’t pig out. Find healthy foods you enjoy and learn how to approximate your macros just to make sure they’re balanced. More carbs on training days, less on rest days, try to get them in around your training. Train like a beast and push your limits. [/quote]

+1. That sort of bench at that young an age suggests talent. You’re young enough that you shouldn’t be worried about cutting or bulking in the traditional sense, unless you’re obese (which you don’t sound like you are).


#10

I see, you want to have shape and strength at the same time.

Continue your training and diet, adding plyometrics exercise before your workout, short time cardio after workout. For example on deadlift day, long jump 3 sets 3 reps at first, 10 mins jump rope in the end