Advice - Chest Focus

Jim…I am having a challenge in my training. Even though I balance my training of body parts, I have gained considerable size in my shoulders and arms. A good thing right? Yes, except for the fact that when I go to train chest…bench, presses, flyes…my shoulders and triceps seem to be overcompensating for the movements and I am not getting the pump or the focus on the pecs that I need to stimulate growth. Any ideas, movements or corrections that I can utilize to focus more on pumping and working the pecs, instead of walking away with triceps and front delts taking the brunt of the work?

Thanks,

P

Same issue here. I would just tack on cable flies. It’s not like adding a few sets of an isolation exercise is going to throw your routine off. I’ve also been toying around with doing the bottom half range of motion of the bench with a wide grip. Keeps constant tension on the pecs, feels pretty good. I do these BBB style, it wouldn’t replace the way you press for strength.

Jim is probably gonna lay me out for talking about all these sweet hypertrophy gains.

Try these. Don’t knock it til you try it. You should be able to feel your chest immediately afterward and throughout the whole bench workout.

should this be done right before bench pressing?

I think youd be better off asking bodybuilders this question, they are the masters at this kind of thing

[quote]wamo wrote:
should this be done right before bench pressing?[/quote]
Yes. Watch the video. CT explains how it can be done before EVERY session if it is a major weakness. You’re welcome to just do it before your upper body workouts.

[quote]paulbrianschmidt wrote:
Jim…I am having a challenge in my training. Even though I balance my training of body parts, I have gained considerable size in my shoulders and arms. A good thing right? Yes, except for the fact that when I go to train chest…bench, presses, flyes…my shoulders and triceps seem to be overcompensating for the movements and I am not getting the pump or the focus on the pecs that I need to stimulate growth. Any ideas, movements or corrections that I can utilize to focus more on pumping and working the pecs, instead of walking away with triceps and front delts taking the brunt of the work?

Thanks,

P
[/quote]

I have no idea about any of this given my background. I would follow the other’s advice or look into bodybuilding.