T Nation

Advice: Buying An Upright Bike

I am thinking of buying an upright bike so that I can perform my cardio at home. Being an aspiring screenwriter I watch a lot of movies and this would give me the opportunity to kill two birds with one stone; watch movies while I do my cardio.

I know a treadmill is probably better but I only have about $150 to spend (did find a treadmill online for $200 but am afraid the qaulity wouldn’t be so good for that price).

Was just wondering what you guys/gals think.

And if anyone already has an upright bike, how has it worked for you?
Recommend any brands in my price range?

Right now I’m looking at either a proform or weslow upright.

Thanks and happy new year!

[quote]snippdawg wrote:
<<< I know a treadmill is probably better but I only have about $150 to spend (did find a treadmill online for $200 but am afraid the qaulity wouldn’t be so good for that price). >>>[/quote]

Unless you stumble over a used one originally priced much higher, any bike costing a buck and a half new isn’t going to last if used very much. I would be thrilled for you if somebody knows better, but I doubt it.

You could get a real bike and get an indoor trainer for it…might be easier to find something rideable for 150.

But why a bike for your cardio? There have been some tips on here recently about incline treadmill walking, but if you take the treadmill out and find some good hills that can work for cardio. Or have a local metal shop build you a sled for cheap and use that for your cardio.

i’ve found some great deals at craigslist.com

I have a stationary bike its pretty comfortable to, but there is no way you could focus on a movie while rideing it