T Nation

Advice and Thanks

I wanted to tell you what this all means to me…

A year ago today, I was living (barely) in Los Angeles, shooting crystal meth as often as humanly possible, robbing, stealing, refusing to bathe, etc. All your basic scumbag moves.

Today I’m teaching, writing, getting my life together, laundering myself daily if not more. Now, my parents and family have the lion’s share ofthe credit, and maybe I have a point or to after taxes, but after that, I have bodybuilding to thank.

I joined the local MegaHyperFamilyGymWorld down the street the day it opened in February, and haven’t missed a workout since then. Eating, supplements, the letting down of grammatical and aesthetic standards required to make it through a copy of Muscular Development – all of it.

Luckily, there’s been this website. I’ve read far, far too much of it, but it has helped to be a small place of reason in a murky world seemingly populated by utter, utter ninnies.

So, with the slurping over, I do have a question: What should I do now? I’ve been on the same split/routines that my cousin showed me (Chest, Back, Legs, Shoulder, Arms – Monday through Friday, except sometimes I just do quads on Wednesday, because I really like doing squats, so I’ll end up doing 8 or 9 sets and by the time it comes for hams, I just wanna go throw up and sit in the steamroom and argue with myself about taking the elevator in my gym). I know this is way too much, but I really like training. Also, for those of you who remember back to the first paragraph, the gene for addiction is strong with me. I’ve made some solid gains, lost a ton of fat (can see my top two abs), and am as stronger as any rank newcomer is after 6 months.

So: what to do? Is there any program you can think of that’ll change out my whole routine, but maybe let me keep up the volume?

Any suggestions would be appreciated, and thanks again for everything.

Rick

That’s so awesome. Congrats.

No recomendations on a lifting program, there are too many that work. Just find one that suites your goals.
Congrats on cleaning up. That shit is as catabolic as it gets.

OK, I do not intend this to be rude, but what jumped out at me here is that you were a criminal and a meth addict one year ago, and you are teaching now. Are you teaching children? Personally, I would think one year is not enough recovery time for you to be teaching in that capacity. If I were a parent, I would be worried.

Otherwise, congratulations on turning your life around. I am sure it was not easy.

Again, I did not mean any offense, I was just concerned.

Jeff

[quote]harris447 wrote:
I wanted to tell you what this all means to me…

A year ago today, I was living (barely) in Los Angeles, shooting crystal meth as often as humanly possible, robbing, stealing, refusing to bathe, etc. All your basic scumbag moves.

Today I’m teaching, writing, getting my life together, laundering myself daily if not more. Now, my parents and family have the lion’s share ofthe credit, and maybe I have a point or to after taxes, but after that, I have bodybuilding to thank.

[/quote]

HaHa! You should see some of the teachers that are currently teaching with NO recovery time. Don’t be so naieve to think that just because they are teachers they have a sterling character and everything is peachy. They are also human.

[quote]Jeff Parsons wrote:
OK, I do not intend this to be rude, but what jumped out at me here is that you were a criminal and a meth addict one year ago, and you are teaching now. Are you teaching children? Personally, I would think one year is not enough recovery time for you to be teaching in that capacity. If I were a parent, I would be worried.

Otherwise, congratulations on turning your life around. I am sure it was not easy.

Again, I did not mean any offense, I was just concerned.

Jeff[/quote]

Well, I’m not exactly sure what you mean by “recovery time.” I didn’t have surgery; I quit doing drugs. It’s not really a process, it’s a decision.

The whole “in recovery, recovering addict” thing is utter bullshit propaganda spread by AA to keep people suckling on their god-teat and throwing money in thier basket.

But, yeah, I do teach kids. And when no one’s looking, I slap their little heinies.

Hard.

What I meant by recovery time is time that it takes to get your life in order, become emotionally stable, no longer have cravings, etc.

I am glad you were able to “Just Say No” and get your life on track.

Again, congratulations

Jeff

harris,
dude, my upmost respect. youve come a long way. keep it up.
zed