Advice about my Strength Program

Hello everyone, I’m Stefano from Italy, it’s a pleasure to write in this forum!

I’m a big fan of strength training, I’ve always used big compound lifts…now I’m following a program that a friend of mine, a strong Italian PowerLifter with a degree in physical education, wrote for general strength…
My main goal is strength and improving my main Barbell lifts

I really appreciate your advices and impressions about this plan, so:

Monday
Bench Press Progression
Overhead Press 5x5@80%
Weighted Chin Ups 25 easy total reps (i don’t count sets and reps per sets, I reach my number goal of reps)

Tuesday
Squat Progression
Barbell Row 4x6
Bodyweight Chin Ups 50 easy total reps (same as Monday)

Thursday
Overhead Press Progression
Bench Press 5x5@80%
Weighted Chin Ups 25 easy total reps

Friday
Deadlift Progression
Squat 5x5@80%
Bodyweight Chin Ups 50 easy total reps

Progression for Squat, Deads, Bench and Press:

Week 1 4x3@85%
Week 2 5x2@90%
Week 3 6x1@95%

By now I’m really enjoying this plan, it’s easy to follow and without any fluff (I really love Chin Ups and those are my only assistance for barbell lifts and the only add I made to the original program, with my coach permission)…what do you think about this plan?

Thanks a lot and sorry for my bad English!!

Good overall layout should work well.

For me this is a bit much for a beginner, if start to feeling burnt out in a few weeks adjust the percentages down. Focus on recovery a lot in third week, good sleep, stretch a lot after workout etc

Thanks so much for your reply and for the advices…i’ll be careful of my recovery and dieting (i’m eating at a calorie surplus) in this week (it’s 95%, the last one of my first cycle)!

If I can ask you one more question…do you think the 80% percentage for the 5x5 supplemental second movement is doable? In the first two weeks it was right, all the reps were quite smooth…

Thanks again for your time!

Yes totally fine

1 Like