Advantages Living up North?

So my sister has lived in Queens since 2007 and for the longest time she is trying to convince me to go up there as well. Believe me,Id love to go travel all over the place but hee arguments have not been so convincing.

The whole “If you survive New York,you can survive anywhere” routine gets a little old. Here are things to consider I’m 21,I have under 8 thousands in savings,and my major is Digital media design/Wed Design and im trying to get into Advertising. What would be some benefits to relocate?

Longer days in the summer.

all the hot chicks are down sounth

how long is 8 grand gonna last in queens?

which part of queens?

nyc is great for young people with little to no income who want to get into advertising. seriously.

anyways, first thing you need to ask yourself is are you a city person? if you don’t like dealing with other people, this ain’t place for you.

[quote]Totenkopf wrote:
So my sister has lived in Queens since 2007 and for the longest time she is trying to convince me to go up there as well. Believe me,Id love to go travel all over the place but hee arguments have not been so convincing. The whole “If you survive New York,you can survive anywhere” routine gets a little old.

Here are things to consider im 21,I have under 8 thousands in savings,and my major is Digital media design/Wed Design and im trying to get into Advertising. What would be some benefits to relocate?[/quote]

do not move to ny unless you have a job lined up. cost of living is astronomically high.

None of those goofy bugs that eat/bite every one or thing that they can get their mandibles on.

Southern states have some messed up bugs, man.

[quote]thefederalist wrote:

do not move to ny unless you have a job lined up. cost of living is astronomically high.[/quote]

true. but you could feasibly survive on 8k for 5 months or so without a job, especially if you plan to live in gulp Queens.

But you don’t want to blow through your savings do you? so yeah, having a job helps.

[quote]Deadsion wrote:
all the hot chicks are down sounth[/quote]
I been in Texas all my life and I been to new York twice in my life so I dont really have alot to compare to. Ill get back to you on that once I set foot and actually observe some more.

[quote]SkyzykS wrote:
None of those goofy bugs that eat/bite every one or thing that they can get their mandibles on.

Southern states have some messed up bugs, man.

[/quote]
Lol,Yes. I live in the part of Houston that has alot of woodsy area in the back of my neighborhood. Combine that with the hot summer months and the rampant mosquitoes,I say we have it the worst. I rather deal with Giant Rats in NYC than Giant Roaches in Texas any day.

She lives in Astoria Queens. From what I remember,She lives 3 blocks away from the stops of 36th Avenue or Broadway. Its fairly close to the Greek neighborhood. I absolutely love where she lives btw. Ok,You said that " nyc is great for young people with little to no income who want to get into advertising." Can you please expand on this??? Lol,Now you have entice me. I dont consider myself a real city person but I think I can adapt. I like meeting new people and experiencing new things. From when I visited New York,it was an awesome experience. I met people I only seen on tv. Like Europeans! I dont think I will ahve to worry about a job if im still with Costco. Its crazy easy to relocate,I just have to ask for it.

Thanks everybody,I think I might go for it. It might take another year but im starting to really leaned towards the idea.

I hear Canadian dope is unreal so na na na na.

[quote]Totenkopf wrote:

She lives in Astoria Queens. From what I remember,She lives 3 blocks away from the stops of 36th Avenue or Broadway. Its fairly close to the Greek neighborhood. I absolutely love where she lives btw. Ok,You said that " nyc is great for young people with little to no income who want to get into advertising." Can you please expand on this??? Lol,Now you have entice me. I dont consider myself a real city person but I think I can adapt. I like meeting new people and experiencing new things. From when I visited New York,it was an awesome experience. I met people I only seen on tv. Like Europeans! I dont think I will ahve to worry about a job if im still with Costco. Its crazy easy to relocate,I just have to ask for it.

Thanks everybody,I think I might go for it. It might take another year but im starting to really leaned towards the idea.[/quote]

Oh yeah, Astoria is super nice and that sounds about right, 36th st. Its also quite close to the city, so you’d be golden if you can live with her. Rents gotten high in Astoria though, but if you’re sharing a place you can swing it.

So what I mean about being a good place for blah, blah, blah is that this city is teeming with opportunities for young people who are just starting to “get into” some kind of career. Big agencies are always hiring ‘jr.’ designers, account execs, etc. And assuming you’re not expecting to bankroll, you’ll be content. You do, however, need to know people or shop around for a good head hunting agency - there is a lot of competition. But for a 21 yr old looking for experiences, NY definitely has it.

Costco is in Queens btw - so that might be useful for you too!

Honestly, cost of living is “high” but as long as you don’t live beyond your means you’ll be golden! NY is definitely a place of experiences, its not about living comfortably - hahah!

Good luck!

[quote]Mascherano wrote:

[quote]Totenkopf wrote:

Thanks everybody,I think I might go for it. It might take another year but im starting to really leaned towards the idea.[/quote]

Oh yeah, Astoria is super nice and that sounds about right, 36th st. Its also quite close to the city, so you’d be golden if you can live with her. Rents gotten high in Astoria though, but if you’re sharing a place you can swing it.

So what I mean about being a good place for blah, blah, blah is that this city is teeming with opportunities for young people who are just starting to “get into” some kind of career. Big agencies are always hiring ‘jr.’ designers, account execs, etc. And assuming you’re not expecting to bankroll, you’ll be content. You do, however, need to know people or shop around for a good head hunting agency - there is a lot of competition. But for a 21 yr old looking for experiences, NY definitely has it.

Costco is in Queens btw - so that might be useful for you too!

Honestly, cost of living is “high” but as long as you don’t live beyond your means you’ll be golden! NY is definitely a place of experiences, its not about living comfortably - hahah!

Good luck!

[/quote]

terrific post, great advice for the youngster.

[quote]Deadsion wrote:
all the hot chicks are down sounth[/quote]

This…

The north sucks… I go to school up here and can’t stand it

edit: what part of texas… cause if you’re having a hard time deciding where the more attractive women are… then you’re in the wrong part

For advertising there are 3 cities that stand out above all others NYC, Chicago and Miami.

After the big three I’d put in
Minneapolis/St. Paul
Atlanta
San Francisco
Los Angeles
Houston

Benefits of moving up North? It really all depends on what you like. If you dig NYC. Realize most of the big firms like DDB, Saatchi & Saatchi, and Crispin Porter will have a Headquarters somewhere but then satellite offices in most Alpha world cities if not some smaller ones as well.

I worked in Miami, specifically South Beach and also did freelancing for mostly local small business startups and nightclubs. It wasn’t for me but I think it was more the job than the city. Miami was great and working and even though I wasn’t some fancy ad exec I knew all the nightclub promoters and got in for free to all of the most exclusive clubs I wanted.

Oh also realize Advertising has different aspects, there is the Marketing side, the Copy side, and the Creative side. Some firms specialize in one while others contract out. Take that into account and what side of the field you want to be in.

can you handle the cold well??
you would be better off with a job lined up before you came too, as everyone has said.

living in the north is expensive, and people are rude. i actually prefer the south personally - im in CT and my girlfriend actually lives in astoria near 41st and broadway. small world.

Thanks!

[quote]Enders Drift wrote:
For advertising there are 3 cities that stand out above all others NYC, Chicago and Miami.

After the big three I’d put in
Minneapolis/St. Paul
Atlanta
San Francisco
Los Angeles
Houston

Benefits of moving up North? It really all depends on what you like. If you dig NYC. Realize most of the big firms like DDB, Saatchi & Saatchi, and Crispin Porter will have a Headquarters somewhere but then satellite offices in most Alpha world cities if not some smaller ones as well.

I worked in Miami, specifically South Beach and also did freelancing for mostly local small business startups and nightclubs. It wasn’t for me but I think it was more the job than the city. Miami was great and working and even though I wasn’t some fancy ad exec I knew all the nightclub promoters and got in for free to all of the most exclusive clubs I wanted.[/quote]
Well,I really do want to work in one of the bigger Ad firms. I really love Wieden + Kennedy. Pretty awesome that you get those benefits.

[quote]Enders Drift wrote:
Oh also realize Advertising has different aspects, there is the Marketing side, the Copy side, and the Creative side. Some firms specialize in one while others contract out. Take that into account and what side of the field you want to be in.[/quote]
Definitely the creative side of Advertising.

[quote]clockworkchad wrote:
can you handle the cold well??
you would be better off with a job lined up before you came too, as everyone has said.

living in the north is expensive, and people are rude. i actually prefer the south personally - im in CT and my girlfriend actually lives in astoria near 41st and broadway. small world.[/quote]
The cold is proablly what scares me the most. I can bare it but I definitely wont like it. Maybe I mgiht run into you someday when I visit my sister again this summer.

There are less dumb people up north.

However, there are more assholes.

New england and NY get cold. some people love it and others hate it with a passion. If you like winter sports and snow then its just as good city wise as anywhere else. NY apparently has more to do than boston but I like boston, never been to NYC for more than a couple hours in the bronx.

I have been living up north for a few years after growing up in Texas. It sucks. The politics are real different, too many laws and not enough individual accountability or responsibility.