T Nation

Advancing Through my Newbie Stages

Alrighty guys and gals, I’ve been training hard and long for 2 years. I’ve been a pretty skinny kid until age 8 when I tore my ACL. I’ve always been somewhat on the chunky side the rest of my life afterwards. I have come to realize in the training that I have been doing, I feel sometimes it doesn’t really work out for me.

I feel no gains at most times, just the toning of the muscles. I’ve done drop sets, double drops, triple drops, you name it. I’ve done alot of my training at a commercial gym. Now I am limited to a little home universal gym and plan on getting a squat rack, I already have a bench. I know how my body works to a certain extent and some of my friends have even called me “Alchemist” deriving Zane’s name, putting it together with mine. A recent workout I have been on goes like this:

Monday- Back Biceps

Bent Over Barbell Rows
One Arm Dumbbell Rows
Seated Rows
Behind The Neck Pull Downs
Pullups

Straight Bar Curls
Single Arm Concentration Curls
Preacher Curls

Tuesdays- Chest Triceps

Bench Press
Floor Press
Flys on bench
Pec Dec

Pushdowns (straight bar)
Pushdowns (curled bar)
Overhead Extensions combo with Skullcrushers

Wednesday- Legs

Lunges with barbell
Leg Extensions
Seated Calf Raises with Barbell

Thursday- Off

Friday- Back Biceps

Saturday- Off

Sunday- Legs

Monday- Triceps

Tuesday- Off

Wednesday- Off

Thursday- Legs

Friday- Triceps

Saturday- Biceps

Sunday- Off

Oh and I am also 6 Foot 178 lbs currently. My wieght fluctuates with the seasons due to eating habits and diets.

Any opinions on what to change or how to get bigger. I don’t want to hear about eating and trainiing the way Yates suggests cus I already tried it and it surpassed my off season weight of 190 lbs. Suggestions, tips, advice would be really appreciated :slight_smile:

Thanks,

E- Train

My quick opinion:

Deadlifts. I don’t see those in there. Also, I assume you aren’t incorporating squats due to a lack of a squat rack? Maybe some hack squats in the meantime?

I’m confused. Your Back-Biceps, Chest-Triceps and Legs split is pretty standard so OK. But what’s the rest of the list? Are you really doing only biceps or triceps and then taking days off or are you still including the chest and back work on those days?

I second adding DLs and its variations to your leg day. Also, get a couple cheap sawhorses or make them… Instant squat rack.

First off I am doing Deads (for the first post) i do them at the end of the workout, they are a staple.

Second off yes that is what i mean by triceps and biceps, i train them with their repective groups (chest and back)

[quote]Kruiser wrote:
I’m confused. Your Back-Biceps, Chest-Triceps and Legs split is pretty standard so OK. But what’s the rest of the list? Are you really doing only biceps or triceps and then taking days off or are you still including the chest and back work on those days?

I second adding DLs and its variations to your leg day. Also, get a couple cheap sawhorses or make them… Instant squat rack.[/quote]

You have a pic of this? The instant squat rack that is. Also, maybe some more exact measurements for those who haven’t really seen a squat rack recently.

What is your total volume like, how many sets and rep for each exercise. You may be wasting your time with excessive volume.

NUTRITION, you seem to say nothing about your diet. Most of the time this will be the cause of your lack of progress.

actually my diest is very strict on the carbs, not alot of carb loading. plus i do have limitations on to what i can eat because i still live at home. i know im getting my 1.5 g per pound of protein in. Maybe i need to try and load up on carbs?