T Nation

Advanced Programs for Hypertrophy

Can someone recommend to me some advanced training programs on this site which is mainly for hypertrophy. I have been lifting for a few years. Preferably where lifting is 4 days (maybe 3 + 1 something different) per week.

Finally I have some time (until January) to build some muscles because of an injury. I?m still able to do squats & deadlift, I don?t like to do other leg excercises because of this injury, and also I?m still playing basketball 2 times per week at a very low intensity.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

There are other leg exercises besides squats and deadlifts?

LOL.

I was thinking the same thing.

And your point is?

I have been looking at those Waterbury programs but it seems as if they are mostly for beginners & 3 times per week.

If you are asking for a program you are not far beyond begginer. Some good programs include: Conjugate Periodization, Westside for Skinny Bastards, EDT, Crossfit, Singles Club,anything by Dan John, Charles Staley etc. Your question is like walking into a football lockerroom and asking if there are any good football players, look around this site!

even though Waterbury's routines are 3 times/week they are very good. i would give the 10x3 a shot with a main exercise along with 3-4 assistance ex. using a 4x6 routine. i have used these for quite a while and alternated w/ a 20 rep squat routine layout.

I don't think Waterbury's programs are for beginners, I think they are for advanced lifters.

Many are very complicated and use advanced techniques with rep/set/load ranges changing from one day to the next.

They are only three or four days a week to allow you time to recover...

Ahh, finally we are getting somewhere.

Yes, I know there are many articles here. I just wanted to see what responses I got here regarding program selection. I know my body pretty well but wanted to try something new. I will check into those that you recommended, I haven?t seen them. Thanks.

But have you used 10*3 4 times per week? bench, row, pulldown & squat as 10*3 + some assistance? In the Waterbuy method he lists some isolation excersices and I almost never do them. But maybe I will give WM a try & add a 4th day with olympic lifts.

But have you used 10*3 4 times per week? bench, row, pulldown & squat as 10*3 + some assistance? In the Waterbuy method he lists some isolation excersices and I almost never do them. But maybe I will give WM a try & add a 4th day with olympic lifts.[/quote]

I've been doing the Art of Waterbury programme for the last 3 weeks. I had been doing a fourth day with the olympic lifts, mainly snatch variatons.

Looking back I wouldn't recommend doing this fourth day. Even though I was going fairly light I think this has been one of the reasons that I've had to have the last 5 days off due to overtraining.

You might have a better recvery ability than me, but I still air on the side of caution, at least for the first couple of weeks.

PS. I certainly wouldn't say the Waterbury programmes are for beginners either. They're kicking my ass for sure!

1 - CW's programs are not for beginners. 10 x 3 is a very neurologically challenging lift and for that reason alone it wouldn't suit beginners, but the fact that most beginners don't have enough weight on the bar to really differentiate between stuff like 10 x 3, 5 x 5, etc. is another.

2 - As far as I know, CW doesn't like isolation movements. He includes them often for those who just can't stop doing curls after doing them for so many years.

3 - If you're afraid these programs are "too kiddy," try Poliquin's German Volume Training. Good luck.

Oh, and as far as I could tell from responses, CW's ABBHI offers the most amazing strength + hypertrophy results. I don't think there's a program on this site though that has only hypertrophy as its goal... if you want that, do 4 x 15 on leg extensions and leg curls. No joke, extensions have been shown to produce more hypertrophy in the quad than squats. But I'm sure you don't want that.

You could do "Singles Club," That's four days per week...

http://t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=459290

So is "Quatro Dynamo." http://t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=459216