10 sets of 5 on a 40X0 tempo, rest 100 seconds

A-2: Lean-away Chin-ups

B-1: Parallel Bar Dips
3 sets of 6-8 on a 40X0 tempo, rest 90 seconds

B-2: One-Arm Arc Dumbbell Rows
3 sets of 6-8 on a 40X0 tempo, rest 90 seconds""

and what does it mean by “a 40X0 tempo”

also there is no flat bench press listed in the routine…should i add that in too?

i know these questions might sound stupid to some of you but im clueless right now haha

[quote]bedruz wrote:
what does A-1 and A-2 mean? is it like a super set

""Day 1: Chest and Back

A-1: Incline Barbell Presses

A-2: Lean-away Chin-ups

B-1: Parallel Bar Dips
3 sets of 6-8 on a 40X0 tempo, rest 90 seconds

B-2: One-Arm Arc Dumbbell Rows
3 sets of 6-8 on a 40X0 tempo, rest 90 seconds""

and what does it mean by “a 40X0 tempo”

also there is no flat bench press listed in the routine…should i add that in too?

i know these questions might sound stupid to some of you but im clueless right now haha[/quote]

If can, you should try to do alternating sets of A-1 and A-2 until you did 10 sets of each exercise (likewise with B-1/B-2)

‘tempo’ refers to the way the weight should be lifted, the most advanced way to describe is 4 numbers e.g. ABCD,

A= An eccentric or negative portion (the lowering of the weight)

B= A pause in the stretched or “bottom” position

C= A concentric portion (the actual lifting part)

D= A pause in the contracted or “top” position

40X0 means 4 seconds eccentric, no pause at bottom, X seconds concentric (as fast as possible), no pause at the ‘lockout’

You should not try to add anything. If you can complete 10 reps on your last set, increase weight.

ok thanks
o yea wait, but in the routine there were no shoulder presses or regular bench press…do u really think i shouldnt add those in. cause i feel like bench press is a MUST…

Flat bench is one of the worst exercises in my opinion. I think many coaches agree, as it is not included in many programs anymore.

ok ummm im still confused about the A1 and A2 thing. can someone explain

lol you do A1 then once you complete the set you go right into A2. often referred to as a superset.

but it says to rest 100 seconds

One set of A1 immediately followed by a set of A2, and then you rest for 100 seconds. Rinse and repeat ten times.

It’s basically an antagonist superset with high volume. Nothing new or special about it. These types of supersets are specifically referenced in the stickies at the top of the beginners section. It may be worthwhile for you to read them.

what are lean away chin ups?
what are seated EZ bar french presses?
what are scott bench close-grip reverse curls?
what are low pulley french presses?

also, ive noticed that there isnt any exercises for shoulders…should i take an exercise out and add a shoulder one in?

You DO NOT do a set of A1 and then A2 back to back and then rest…I’ve been reading Poliquin’s stuff since the mid-nineties. I remember when the original GVT article came out in Muscle Media.

He was very specific: you do one set of A1, rest for the prescribed amount of time, and then do a set of A2, rinse and repeat.

However, you CAN just do the ten sets of one exercise back to back. For example, perform ten sets of five on the incline bench in sequence (you’d want to lower the rest intervals to something like 75 seconds) and then move onto the chins.

DO NOT add exercises or substitute…if you’ve never done GVT before, you’re about to experience a new level of pain and soreness. If you select the proper load, and perform all sets as prescribed, trust me…you won’t be thinking about adding anything to the workout.

hehe…just wait till you try ten sets of squats…that’ll teach you a lesson :wink:

ahaha aiight thanks alot

when i go and do workout 2, do i increase the weight for B1 and B2 aswell? or just A1 and A2