T Nation

Advanced German Volume Training

Started AGVT yesterday. If the first 2 days are any indication, I think its gonna be really good.

Got 2 good friends doing it at the same time so its lots of fun.

Went a little too light on the incline press and back squats by 5 and 10lbs respectively, but im still really sore. Ill just adjust the weights for the next time i do those exercises.

for anyone whos interested ill up-date this every few weeks. Im starting at 16.2% body fat at 204 (down from 17.8 @ 202 7 weeks ago.

You should log it. I’d be interested

Just wanted to say, with myself and my training partners, we have a good age/fitness range.

the oldest is 42 and weights 180-185 and is about 10% body fat

middle is 27 and 12.6% body fat @ 198

I am 22 and 16.2% body fat @ 202

whats AGVT? 10x10x10?

[quote]caveman101 wrote:
whats AGVT? 10x10x10?[/quote]

www.charlespoliquin.com/ArticlesMultimedia/Articles/Article/261/A_Look_Back_and_Ahead_at_German_Volume_Training.aspx

starts about 1/3rd down the page

[quote]caveman101 wrote:

10^10 sounds like more fun.

[quote]caveman101 wrote:

I saw what you did with that.

If it’s anything like I did in the past 10 sets of 10 for major compounds then I’ve never had better progress. It just required too much time and concentration for me.

quick little up-date,

done the first 5 workouts of the program, unfortunately for the first 3 we all went too light and had no trouble finishing all the reps with the proper tempo and proper rest intervals.

the last 2 have been a lot harder since we had a better idea of what weights we should have taken,
for example yesterday was front squats with ham curls, and i was able to get 5/5/5/5/5/5/4/4/4/4 of the squats.

and for standing barbell press the day before i did 5/5/5/5/5/5/5/4/4/3

im still not CRAZY sore, mostly just really tight and achy even with the really slow tempo and keeping near perfect form. but i guess even with 10 sets, reps of 5 wont get you any crazy DOMS. especially since as a former olympic-lifter im pretty used to lower reps.

just shy of 1/3rd through this program, its getting really challenging right now, esp on the military press and front squats imo. but i feel like im continuing to re-comp nicely.

hopefully i can keep this up for the next 5.5 weeks or so. gona need a good de-load once its all over.

having read that, it actually sounds quite fun

22 days left on the program, going back to 10 sets of 5 after being on 10/3 is really difficult and draining for sure.

strength is going up for sure, especially on the assistance exercises (probably because there not nearly as tiring. friends who have not seen me in a month or so say right away how im looking bigger, even though im actually down 2 lbs. belt is actually in a notch as well!

Hard ass program, but producing some nice results so far. in 23 days i will get an “after” skinfold test taken

also thought i would note, that i would NOT suggest using military/standing press for one of the primary movements.

none of my training partners or myself have been able to keep up with the required increases on that lift for what ever reason.

it is a tough one to keep regular gains on

german volume training = train crossfit or run a marathon

what can a human gain from 10 sets of 10 for deadlift?

if more is better, why not 20 sets of 20? 100 sets of 100?

i like german cars, but they really fucked up with this one

what’s so wrong with it? I don’t see a huge difference in doing 10x10 of front squats vs 3-4 sets front squats, 3-4 hacks, 3-4 leg extension

[quote]hanban wrote:

i like german cars, but they really fucked up with this one[/quote]

this is not about the 10*10 training. this program is 10 sets of 5,4, or 3

[quote]hanban wrote:

i like german cars, but they really fucked up with this one[/quote]

I did the GVT a while ago, the 10x10, and in my experience it was not meant for strength gains but i leaned up and put on noticeable size across the board in both my eyes and those of people around me.

Also tork im really glad to hear youre liking this, and depending how you finish, i may very well try this one.

[quote]fighting_fires wrote:
Also tork im really glad to hear youre liking this, and depending how you finish, i may very well try this one. [/quote]

ill let you know, just be warned, if you dont have a good training partner (at least for leg day) i wouldnt even attempt it, but thats just me.