T Nation

Adult Softball

Hey all
I have recently started to get serious about softball, and was wondering if there were any other players out there that could offer tips on hitting, fielding, etc. Right now I play ASA on a lower division. I use a Freak 98(we are allowed to use USSSA bats, I just found out.) I want to be able to hit more home runs, hit anywhere I want, just get better. Anyone have adivce?

Damn I clicked on this post expecting to see, naked chicks doing ‘things’ with softball equipment. Eh… you live and learn.

[quote]Pootie Tang wrote:
Damn I clicked on this post expecting to see, naked chicks doing ‘things’ with softball equipment. Eh… you live and learn.[/quote]

Glad to see I wasn’t the only one with a dirty mind, or maybe just the “right” mindset

some friends and I play in a mens softball league, slow pitch. No real advice except working on your timing “waiting” to hit it where you want. Batting practice. I too was looking for naked girls playing with baseball bats


There, I saved the thread.

Here is a tip that I have about hitting. If you are strong and know you can hit a home run, that is the only time you should try and hit one. Nothing pisses me off more than when a weak teammate swings for the fences and pops up.

Also, as was previously mention, batting practice will help you get to where you can hit the ball where you want it to go.

Hit the batting cages, I try to go 3-4x a week leading up to the season. Although a machine can never duplicate a person pitching to you outside.

I also run sprints 2-3x a week. I’ve beaten out more than a few ground balls by getting to 1st in a hurry. Plus, you reduce your chances of blowing a hamstring when you sprint regularly.

Otherwise, drink a few beers and have fun!

[quote]
Otherwise, drink a few beers and have fun![/quote]

For real.

There aren’t many things more pathetic than a bunch of thirty-something businessmen taking softball way too seriously.

[quote]Geebus wrote:
Here is a tip that I have about hitting. If you are strong and know you can hit a home run, that is the only time you should try and hit one. Nothing pisses me off more than when a weak teammate swings for the fences and pops up.

Also, as was previously mention, batting practice will help you get to where you can hit the ball where you want it to go.[/quote]

Agreed. I know I won’t be hitting a softball 275 ft, so I don’t try. Plus I use a really light bat, so even swinging rather hard it goes in between the infielders and outfielders, works perfect.

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
Geebus wrote:
Here is a tip that I have about hitting. If you are strong and know you can hit a home run, that is the only time you should try and hit one. Nothing pisses me off more than when a weak teammate swings for the fences and pops up.

Also, as was previously mention, batting practice will help you get to where you can hit the ball where you want it to go.

Agreed. I know I won’t be hitting a softball 275 ft, so I don’t try. Plus I use a really light bat, so even swinging rather hard it goes in between the infielders and outfielders, works perfect.[/quote]

You are just like me. Being 5’6 and weighing 170 lbs., I know the only time I am going to hit a home run is if I just miss hitting a line drive so I never try and swing for the fences. I just try to crush a hard line drive.

keep your eyes on the ball and swing for putting the ball past the fences.

squats and russian twists

I play a little more competetive softball (C and D). I have been powerlifting and playing softball for about 7 years. DId you play any ball growing up at all? I can give you a few pointers but first a couple of questions like how big are you? are you looking to be a better hitter or hit with more power or do both with consistancy? how deep is your field? For starters ASA sucks bad, but atleast you can use good bats. I would find a good u-trip bat and hit that…freak 100, synergy plus or stealth, worth mutant… something that might add 10-15 feet, depending on what kind of hitter you are.

as far as training for softball goes, I do it in the offseason. my “softball offseason” is when I powerlift and usually compete in the spring and then switch on softball mode.

Move to sheboygan wisc.

marlboroman or dre can back this up. This city runs on beer, brauts, and middle aged men playing softball.

muscle = home runs

Even “non-functional” body builders can put it over the fence and it is a good thing because they suck on the base paths.

Play rugby instead.

[quote]Bigpull wrote:
I play a little more competetive softball (C and D). I have been powerlifting and playing softball for about 7 years. DId you play any ball growing up at all? I can give you a few pointers but first a couple of questions like how big are you? are you looking to be a better hitter or hit with more power or do both with consistancy? how deep is your field? For starters ASA sucks bad, but atleast you can use good bats. I would find a good u-trip bat and hit that…freak 100, synergy plus or stealth, worth mutant… something that might add 10-15 feet, depending on what kind of hitter you are.

as far as training for softball goes, I do it in the offseason. my “softball offseason” is when I powerlift and usually compete in the spring and then switch on softball mode.
[/quote]

I played softball when I was younger. I am 21, 6’2, 235. Squat 435, Bench 305, Deadlift 525(got first meet coming up next saturday). I want to be both a better hitter and a power hitter. I know it takes time and practice. I do want to get a freak plus when I get some money.

[quote]Noodle_Arms wrote:

Otherwise, drink a few beers and have fun!

For real.

There aren’t many things more pathetic than a bunch of thirty-something businessmen taking softball way too seriously.[/quote]

Oh I do have fun. I am only 21 so I like to stay active and be competitive. I just want to get better at the sport.

Get a utrip bat…

If you have cages and can afford it sure use them.

If not then simply buy a couple dozen balls, go to the field and throw them up and hit em…

Best advice I can think of:

  1. Hit the middle of the ball. People will get pissed at you if you fly out or hit weask ground balls. Not many people get pissed when you line out hitting a piss missle.

  2. Make the plays hit to you. You do not have to make the diving play, just make the plays near you and you will be fine.

  3. As you get better learn how to make productive outs. Say there are men on second and third with less than 2 outs. Hit the ball the other way(right) side. If you make an out at least the run will score.

Depending on what freak 98 you have, some of them get HOT right before they are about to break.

[quote]BillO21 wrote:
Depending on what freak 98 you have, some of them get HOT right before they are about to break.[/quote]

I have a 34" 28 oz freak 98. I am looking to get a freak plus albeit at a 26 oz size.