Adult ADHD

[quote]BigKDawg wrote:
wirewound wrote:
Meds are the most effective treatment.

Diet and mental hygiene help.

When you say something like that, you know that pharmacuetical fellatio is in full effect. Drugs NEVER will solve the problem behind peoples health afflictions. It simply alleviates the problem temporarily while continueing to throw the delicate balance of the body out whack. Pharmacueticals are band-aid medicine at best, Russian roulette at worst at least in regards to your health.[/quote]

Okay Dr. You are a doctor, right?

What’s the non-pharmacological solution to schizophrenia, Spock?

Alright then.

[quote]BigKDawg wrote:

For acute care, modern medicine is priceless. For treating chronic health problems that are largely self-induced, not so much.

[/quote]

I agree with this, actually. Modern medicine sucks at treating chronic lifestyle diseases.

Mental illnesses are not lifestyle diseases, typically. Also, it’s not just two letters after a name, it’s 12+ fucking years of really difficult schooling and a lot of sacrifice.

Once again, what’s the lifestyle component of Bipolar Disorder or Schizophrenia?

[quote]mt006 wrote:
Any drugs that we are told “regulate” mental problems should be treated with suspicion since doctors are encouraged by a revolving door medical culture to proscribe drugs instead of treating illness

[/quote]

I agree with a lot of that, except as pertains to ADHD.

Some of the stupidity in this thread is mind-boggling, and as someone alluded to it’s like reading a scientologist pamphlet. Some of the logic is similar to the theory that allergies are ‘in your head.’

[quote]wirewound wrote:

Okay Dr. You are a doctor, right?

What’s the non-pharmacological solution to schizophrenia, Spock?

Alright then.
[/quote]

You say it so confidently. Now, are you a doctor?

If not, stop carrying on like someone with errr umm ADHD

Have a read of doctor Hoffers experiences with these things:

http://www.islandnet.com/~hoffer/hofferhp.htm

and how much of his proven work is ignored by big pharma.

One would think you have a vested interest in psychotropics the way your carrying on.

Yeh scientologists carry on about this like as if it’s the worlds biggest problem and everyone knows why they have taken such a vested interest in the topic, but they’ve sure done their homework and it is extremely hard to fault their work.

It surprising how polar the attitudes are towards drug taking…

Its quite a reflection on society that some people believe that Drugs solve ALL problems (and are happy to gulp them down) and how others think that they are totally not the solution and everybodies problems socialogical.

Having been in the big wide world of work for 10 years I will confidently say that only a smll % of people I have worked with are actually good at their jobs and I have no doubt this applies to Pharmacologists, Doctors and Surgeons etc etc.

So if I treat what I am told with a bit of sceptism I think I have good reason

Ok so ADHD is NOT some BS made up by the pharm companies to get more money. Doctors these days have a much better understanding of the illness and have brain scans and hormone level studies to back it up.

ADHD is no longer for people or kids that just can’t sit still. It can be classified as either over activity in certain regions of the brain or a chemical imbalance in the brain, or both.

There are currently 6 different types of ADD recognized by the medical community:
Classic ADD - Inattentive, distractible, disorganized. Perhaps hyperactive, restless and impulsive.

Inattentive ADD - Inattentive, and disorganized.

Over-focused ADD - Trouble shifting attention, frequently stuck in loops of negative thoughts, obsessive, excessive worry, inflexible, oppositional and argumentative.

Temporal Lobe ADD - Inattentive and irritable, aggressive, dark thoughts, mood instability, very impulsive. May break rules, fight, be defiant, and very disobedient. Poor handwriting and trouble learning are common.

Limbic System ADD - Inattentive, chronic low-grade depression, negative, low energy, feelings of hopelessness and worthlessness.

Ring of Fire ADD - Inattentive, extremely distractible, angry, irritable, overly sensitive to the environment, hyper-verbal, extremely oppositional, possible cyclic moodiness.

I used to be one of those who thought ADD was a made up condition just to give kids drugs… until I got treatment for mine. I used to have the worst temper and I was often in trouble growing up. I was impulsive and got addicted to things very easily.

I’m sure if you look back at my original posts you will see I was a much more hostile person. Anyway, through diet, supplements, and every now and then use of dopamine stimulants I’ve become a MUCH happier person and my quality of life has been much improved.

ADHD = Great way to get drunks so you can study and make A’s. Its the road to legal academic steroids.

[quote]wirewound wrote:

Diet and mental hygiene help.[/quote]

What exactly are you basing this on?

Very sad and shocking!

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=571757

No words…just hurt.

[quote]CrewPierce wrote:

I used to be one of those who thought ADD was a made up condition just to give kids drugs… until I got treatment for mine.

[/quote]

That perfectly describes my experience too. My life has changed so dramatically since getting treatment that it boggles my mind that anyone would say it’s a made up illness.

[quote]mrw173 wrote:
wirewound wrote:

What exactly are you basing this on? [/quote]

Personal experience and the advice of Amen and Hallowell (ADHD experts).

ADHD = insipid psychobabble

Some people are not good at paying attention, just like some people are not good at math, but a short attention span is not a mental illness. The psyciatric establishment, now thoroughly entangled with big pharma, medicalizes everything to fulfill profit motives.

ADHD people love Michael Bay films. I wonder why??

[quote]belligerent wrote:

Some people are not good at paying attention, just like some people are not good at math. Doesn’t mean it’s a mental disorder. The psychiatric establishment medicalizes it, as they do everything else, to fulfill profit motives.[/quote]

If you take out the last sentence this is a good argument that doesn’t rely on the indictment of the medical community. In fact, it’s the best argument yet IMO.

People are way to quick judge psychiatry. Psychiatry is charged with what is arguably THE hardest task we face as a prosperous society. Taking care of the mentally ill is very human and humane.

[quote]belligerent wrote:

Some people are not good at paying attention, just like some people are not good at math. Doesn’t mean it’s a mental disorder. The psychiatric establishment medicalizes it, as they do everything else, to fulfill profit motives.[/quote]

Here’s the problem - society rewards people who are good at paying attention, who can stay focused on goals, and who finish things. It punishes those who can’t.

If society rewarded in proper proportion the gifts of people with ADHD, then that would mean treatment would be unnecessary - but it doesn’t reward those gifts proportionately. Hence, not treating ADHD is much like relegating these people (of whom I count myself a member) to a sub-standard existence.

Also, what the fuck is the medical treatment for being bad at math? If the drugs work, and they do - dramatically, then why shouldn’t people with ADHD take them?

[quote]wirewound wrote:
mrw173 wrote:
wirewound wrote:

What exactly are you basing this on?

Personal experience and the advice of Amen and Hallowell (ADHD experts).[/quote]

Both of which are MD’s. Ask Ph.D.'s and guess what answer you get? Not yours. There are plenty of “experts” who will disagree with much of what you’ve said on here.

[quote]wirewound wrote:

Here’s the problem - society rewards people who are good at paying attention, who can stay focused on goals, and who finish things. It punishes those who can’t.

If society rewarded in proper proportion the gifts of people with ADHD, then that would mean treatment would be unnecessary - but it doesn’t reward those gifts proportionately. Hence, not treating ADHD is much like relegating these people (of whom I count myself a member) to a sub-standard existence.

m?[/quote]

Hang on. What are you saying? I have some sympathy for people with genuine ADD or ADHD, but to say that we should reward this behaviour, is utter crap.

Of course we should reward people who get things done and not reward those who don`t.

Civilization was not built by throwing textbooks and swinging on the curtains. It was built by hard work and study. These things require concentration and application to tasks.

[quote]deanosumo wrote:
wirewound wrote:

m?

Hang on. What are you saying? I have some sympathy for people with genuine ADD or ADHD, but to say that we should reward this behaviour, is utter crap.

Of course we should reward people who get things done and not reward those who don`t.

Civilization was not built by throwing textbooks and swinging on the curtains. It was built by hard work and study. These things require concentration and application to tasks.[/quote]

I’m saying it’s a spectrum. Sometimes ADHD people are really good innovators but fall down on follow-through. Innovation vs. results - they’re both sort of important.

[quote]beebuddy wrote:
If you take out the last sentence this is a good argument that doesn’t rely on the indictment of the medical community. In fact, it’s the best argument yet IMO.

People are way to quick judge psychiatry. Psychiatry is charged with what is arguably THE hardest task we face as a prosperous society. Taking care of the mentally ill is very human and humane.[/quote]

I’ve been too hard on doctors in the past but I really feel comfortable indicting psychiatry. This institution has extended far beyond its legitimate utility and is now primarily engaged in what is little other than an aggressive drug pushing campaign. It’s the absolute epitome of everything that’s bad about medicine today, and a perfect illustration of why government/industry entanglements are so dangerous. Half of the shit they do wouldn’t stand up for five minutes in am unregulated economy.