AD's No Good, Nutrition Advice?

Hi, yes it’s me. The one who wanted to get lean in a old post.

I have to thank Xen for his great useful advices. I’m now doing Westside For Skinny Bastards III, the improved version of the workout in the defranco websit. Also i’m not a skinny bastard, but i’m looking to get some muscle on.

But i have some problems with the nutrition.

Ok so i was trying to follow the Anabolic/metabolic diet (high fat high protein low carb) but the thing is that pissed me off was the fact that i had to count every carb i took (for example, i couldnt eat apples, oranges, etc. Healthy stuff).

Also, in my judo classes, my mates told me that i looked palid and sick. My performance suffer a lot (i lacked of energy in my combats)

Of course i think, that the decrease in my performance had was because i wasnt eating enough carbs (since the carbs are the “fuel” that you use when you are in any high intensity activity)

THe reason that i was going for the anabolic diet, was because i wanted the “testosterone boost” that the author (Mauro di Pascale) promised in his book. Bob “the beast” Sapp (K-1, UFC fighter or something like that) uses this diet.

I’m kind of confused…

I eat more calories when i do the lifting (So i can focus on gain weight on that day) and lower calories in the off/conditionig/cardio days.

I have gained some weight by now (like 3-4 lbs i personaly don’t feel that it’s only muscle, i think a great part of that weight gain is fat and water), i really can notice an augment of fat, so what i was thinking, was get on a calorie/carb cycling diet, so in the weight lifting days, i gain weight and in the cardio/conditioning days i lose some fat.

I also started to read the “Nutrition for grapplers” by John Berardi But it doesn’t says the % of macronutrients that i should take (only that i have to eat 1g/lb of body weight)

My scheudle goes like this:

M:ME upper body lift
T:(2x 5min tabata+ 20minHIIT or jogging)/judo
W:ME lower body lift
T:(2x 5min tabata+ 20minHIIT or jogging)/judo
F:Repetition Upper body lift
S:Dynamic effort lowe body lift/judo
S:off or some jogging

Maybe that diet is better for me, i don’t know. I hope your advices guys. Also i’m not a troll or something like that (yet no informed about what a “troll” is).

I’m sorry for making this topic so big, but you know, there are a lot of things going on on my head.

Thanks.

Any low carb diet is going to make recovery from martial arts and performance in class suffer. Add any amount of weightlifting or GPP to that and you will fighting a fruitless up-hill battle.

“Nutrition for grapplers” by John Berardi is that something new or is it “The Grappler’s Guide to Sports Nutrition” by John Berardi and Micheal Fry? If it’s one and the same, good purchase. I’ve had my copy for years. Precision Nutrition and Gourmet Nutrition I/II are good products as well.

If the Anabolic Diet isn’t working for you then switch to something else. Since you have Berardi’s book then you can start to tweak your diet following the “7 rules”.

http://www.johnberardi.com/articles/nutrition/7habits.htm

Don’t get bogged down in % points or “grams of this, grams of that” games. Practice the 7 Rules, get them into a pattern you can follow, then do a self audit. It helps if you write down what you eat and when thru out the day. After a few weeks compare gains/losses, performance, and goals. Then adjust. Maybe more protein is needed? Maybe more carbs?

“Grappler’s Guide” is a good book keep reading. If you need more info check out John Berardi’s sites:

Or Micheal Fry’s site:

(he’s got a pretty nice free news letter too)

Ohhh well, time to go. Ninja Turtles movie is on.

Sorry, I didnt remembered the exact name of Grapplers guide to sport nutrition.

THere is anyway to gain muscle without fat? Because i feel that by now i have gained a lot of fat and ver very few muscle. What about the carb cycling?

I’m not a big fan of rice, pasta, etc. Pheraps some oatmeal, but that’s it. I like fruits and vegetables with meat. SO i would like to stick to a 40p/30f/30c diet? and cut the carbs when i do cardio and raise them when i do weightlifting?

I hate to see myself fatter and fatter while not gaining good amounts of muscle.

BTW my caloric intake goes like this: 3400cal when i do weigtlifting and 2700 cal in cardio days.

I weight 165lbs(75kg) my height: 177cm BF%:about 13%

OK, so maybe i’m kind of overthinking the shit again. Pheraps i’m kind of obsesive or a little perfectionist, but i really want to be the best of the bests.

I want to do whatever it takes to become a better level judoka, i really want to beat all my opponents. And i want to have something they don’t.

That’s why i tend to overthink shit, that’s why i put all my effort in my training. That’s why i watch BJJ, Judo, Drills, etc. In my free time.

If my coach doesn’t give me the information that i look (in every aspect, eg. Weightlifting, nutrition, etc.) I look for it by myself, 'cause all my mates don’t but i do. And i want to be different, I want to be “better”.

I would like to stop stressing myself, by counting every fucking gr of protein/fat/carb.

But I also really like the idea of becoming a better athlete by having the best diet, the best lifting program, etc.

I’m really sorry if i have bothered you guys, but please understand me, i just want to be better.

Anyway i have to give thanks again to Xen for his advices, but there are still some questions who fuck my head.

Again excuse my english, sorry if my posts look like a troll one or something.

If you really want to get better at Judo I would suggest training more.

Training 3x a week may be all your school offers, but I’ve known many top notch martial artists and the difference (usually) is time spent training. I would really look at increasing your training time if you want to improve.

That said, I think diets are fairly simple. If you wish to stick to low carb then maybe you’re not eating the proper foods for that.

I don’t like low carb, but I did fine on it by eating a lot of good calories from healthy fats, meats and got greens from healthy low-calorie veggies. The trade-off was the lack of fruit, no more than a piece a day for me at the time. And no grains either.

If you describe a typical daily diet then maybe people could make some suggestions.

Good luck

Thanks.

I’m doing my best to get the 6days x week judo training back, (all my mates are pissed off as i am `cause the quatity and quality of the training sessions have decreased) But this shit is going to be over and i’ll get my usual training back (or even 9days x Week).

My diet goes like this now:

Monday (high carb for muscle gain):

1st meal:

2gr glucosamine (I have a shoulder injury, not fully recovered after the surgery)
+some BCAA
+1 cup of oats
+1apple
+2ham slices
+1cup lettuce
+3egg whites
+some berries*

• 1/2 cup sugar free low fat yoghurt

2nd meal:

1scoop of whey
+some nuts*
+1 cup of sugar free low fat milk

• 1/2 cup sugar free low fat yoghurt
    +some berries*

3rd meal:

3 cups of letucce(w/1 tablespoon of olive oil and 1 of sunflower oil)
+300 grs of lean steak
+1 slice of ham
+2 whole eggs

• 1/2 tomato
  • 1/2 cup onions
  • 1 can of tuna
  • 1 small piece of chicken

4th meal (Before Workout):

1scoop of whey
+1 apple
+some berries*
+some nuts*
+1 cup of low fat sugar free milk
+some BCAA

WORKOUT (ME upper body)

5th meal (after Workout):

1cup of oats
+1/2 serving of whey
+some berries*
+some nuts*
+5g creatine
+some BCAA

6th meal

2 cups of lettuce (w/1 tablespoon of sunflower oil)
+1/2 tomato
+1/2 cup of onnions
+200 grs lean steak
+1 small piece of chicken
+2 egg yolks

7th meal (befr going to bed)

A multivitamin
+some BCAA
+some berries*
+2gr some glucosamine
+some nuts

total cals: ~3500

Macronutrients %: 38%protein(330gr) 38%fat(150gr)24%carbs(223gr)

Tuesday (low carb for fat loss):

1st meal:

2gr glucosamine
+some BCAA
+1 cup lettuce
+2 eggs
+some nuts*
+some berries*

WORKOUT: 2xTabata+30min Hiit or jogging

2nd meal: 1 PWO shake (1scoop of whey in some iced green tea)

3rd meal:

2 slices of ham
+1apple
+1/2 cup yoghurt(low fat…etc.)
+some berries*
+some nuts*

4th meal:

300gr lean steak
+3cups of lettuce(w/1tablespoon of olive oil)
+1/2 cup of onnions
+1/2 tomato
+1can of tuna

4th meal (before workout)

1apple
+some berries
+some nuts
1/2 scoop of whey

5th meal (after judo workout)

1/2 scoop of whey
+1/2 cup of oats
+1cup of milk (the low… shit, allows me to eat more)
+some berries and nuts… etc.
+5gr creatine

6the meal:

2cups of lettuce (w/2sunflower oil tablespoons)
+200grs lean steak
+1/2 tomato
+1/2cup of onnions

7th meal (before going to bed)

some BCAA
+2gr glucosamine
+berries
+nuts

total cals: ~2700
Macronutrients%: 39%protein(258gr) 42% fat(128gr)19% carbs(138gr)

THe diet goes like that all the week. High carb on the lifting days and low carb on the cardio/coditioning days.

Thanks again.

stop thankin me :slight_smile: you’re welcome, i’ve been helped a TON by miscellaneous guys on this site who’ve responded to threads and pm’s so i’m obligated to return the favor.

Bram & Bujo gave you absolutely marvelous advice.

I really like this idea:

[quote]
Don’t get bogged down in % points or “grams of this, grams of that” games. Practice the 7 Rules, get them into a pattern you can follow, then do a self audit.

It helps if you write down what you eat and when thru out the day. After a few weeks compare gains/losses, performance, and goals. Then adjust. Maybe more protein is needed? Maybe more carbs? [/quote]

if you want to get better at judo. Train more. If you can only get there 3x a week, try to make friends with guys and see if you can meet up on other days. Befriend some wrestlers and see if they’re willing to teach you… it will be no gi and a lot different but you’ll still get some more experience with body mechanics.

Like bram said:

Everyone i can think of from dan gable to bj penn. It really came down to putting in your reps.

For your strength training, WS4SB is pretty ideal. Any 5x5 or whatever. Basically you just want to increase your poundage and eat a lot. Don’t over think it too much until you get super competitive and need to worry about conditioning and shit.

Only thing i’d constantly work on is mobility, keeping your joints healthy… the other stuff is easy to make happen if you don’t have to work around injuries or inefficiencies.

flexibility/mobility:
http://www.elitefts.com/documents/flexibility_mobility.htm
and do a T-Nation search for a shitload of articles.

As far as your diet, this article might help:

http://www.elitefts.com/documents/carb_cycling_mma.htm

Also some anecdotal advice… I’m a little hesitant to say this because I don’t know you and your bodytype etc but this has been very beneficial for me…

The carb cycling thing I do kind of intuitively because i honestly just don’t like eating carbs i have to force myself to do it on workout days. I love protein- I’ll eat dairy and meat all day if i could.

But carb cycling especially when I’m trying to put on weight AND doing conditioning at the same time never worked all that great for me. Or at least I put on muscle way slower than I’d like. This is primarily because I’m not nearly as disciplined as I SHOULD be to take full advantage of straddling the line by cycling.

I think it was Dan John who asked someone “do you floss everyday?” Fact is we know we SHOULD floss everyday, but no one does. We SHOULD get 8+ hrs of sleep for optimal recovery but rarely does someone actually do that.

So I’m not sure how much all my training requires and everything, so I don’t know exact enough measurements to get everything dialed into be eating exactly 500 calories above maintenance so that I’m ONLY putting on muscle with barely any fat.

And frankly I can count on one hand the amount of people I know that really are that disciplined.

This is why a bulking/cutting phase is slightly more effective. Also because you’re doing one goal at a time. Obviously you don’t want to go Sumo wrestler with your bodyfat, but if you’re going to go for a caloric surplus I say go big.

Plus, if you’re having a caloric deficit on your OFF days… dude thats when you’re muscle is trying to rebuild itself! It just never made sense to me to eat LESS on the days that my muscle is trying to rebuild from the demolition I did the day prior… especially if i’m going to put it through the metabolic hell of combat training.

So for me personally I just ate at a caloric surplus all the time. I KNOW i’d be having 3-4 protein shakes a day (out of convenience) so i’d put a scoop or two of carbs (wazy maize or maltodextrin/dextrose mix), and 1-3 tablespoons of olive oil. Which is up to an extra 600 calories per shake.

Take this with a grain of salt, my metabolism is SUPER high… I ate maybe 1200 calories over 3 days, didn’t lift but kept kind of active (surfing, etc) and lost about 13 lbs. My dad lives on cigarettes, popcorn and coffee but still has a 6 pack, ripped calves, and broad shoulders. So I can afford to have a BIG caloric surplus (~2400 calories) without putting on a shitload of bodyfat.

But my point is maybe you need to eat a caloric surplus to put on a bit of weight.

MAYBE.

if I were you i’d strive to make the carb cycling work, especially to stay in your weight class. It takes a while to learn how your body works so you can drop weight at a whim.

And like Bram Wiley said, it might be WHAT you’re eating not just how much. Technically you can get carbs from Pepsi, but it’s not nearly going to be as good as getting them from broccoli.

Thanks all of you guys.

I also don´t like carbs too much, I like eating fruits. Complex carbs? Pheraphs some oats… The shit i love is chocolate ( cheat meal). just 3-4 bars per month

Ok so i’m gonna try the carb cycling for 2 weeks and see what’s gonna happen, also i’m gonna follow the 7 rules of Berardi (which now are actally 10).

I’m gonna put all my effort on:

Sleep 8+ hours per day
Make the carb cycling work (by now i am 2kgs out of my weight class).

But anyway, what do you guys think about the diet? should it work?

I really have to differ to someone else on the diet stuff it’s not my strong point. Hopefully someone else can jump in.

[quote]BAdWolf wrote:
Thanks all of you guys.

But anyway, what do you guys think about the diet? should it work?
[/quote]

I don’t know. Will It?

Why don’t you compare your diet to the 7 Rules?

Did you Pass?

By the way if you keep eating meals like your 3rd meal, we’re not going to have any animals left on the planet.

[quote]BAdWolf wrote:
I want to do whatever it takes to become a better level judoka, i really want to beat all my opponents. And i want to have something they don’t.

[/quote]

Six words of advice for novice Judo players:

Grip Fight Grip Fight Grip Fight.

In competition you have 3-5 minutes to fight off your opponents grip and fight for your grip. Throwing will open itself up once you have the grip.

Advanced Judo is all about Grip fighting and Combinations.

Learn the Grip Fight.

[quote]Xen Nova wrote:
A Big Long Post

[/quote]

I always learn something from your posts

[quote]Bujo wrote:
BAdWolf wrote:

In competition you have 3-5 minutes to fight off your opponents grip and fight for your grip. Throwing will open itself up once you have the grip.

Learn the Grip Fight.[/quote]

so fewking true
kmc

[quote]kmcnyc wrote:
Bujo wrote:
BAdWolf wrote:

Learn the Grip Fight.

so fewking true
kmc

[/quote]

Absolutly agree with that. By watching the top level judokas in youtube and DVDs, i can realiza that the grip is one of the most important part of the fight. If you can’t grip; you just can’t trow.(dont remember the name of the guy who said that).

By now i’m focusing in:

1-Ne-waza (ground combat, my strong part, i win most of my fights in the ground), I’m trying to add some BJJ moves that my opponents don’t spect.

2-Grip Fighting. (Making my opponent unconfortable with my grip)

3-Puttin’ some effort in my conditioning

Maybe i’ll be in a torunamet this weekend. Pheraps not, depends if my coach give me permission to compite ('cause of my injury). But if i manage to get there i’ll post a vid here :wink: .

About the diet. I think i’m following the 7 rules pretty well. I have veggies fruits, etc…

Any suggestions about it? (besides that i’ll eat all the animals of the planet lol! )