T Nation

Adistars 04/08 vs Ironworks 08 Shoes

Hi Guys,

I’m looking into getting a pair of one of the weight lifting shoes above but am not sure which to go for. I actually prefer the Ironworks III (08’s) to the Adistar 08’s. These only have one strap and that leads me to the Adistar 04’s which have 3 straps on them which I would think would give them a tighter fit, something which Hanley has confirmed.

I was wandering whether anyone knew whether there was much in the difference of the Ironworks vs the Adistars shoes and on experiences and opinions on them from any of you guys.

Below is a link to all the shoes

http://www.sports-shoes.net/section.asp?sectionid=333&catalogue=9

Cheers

Wow I hadn’t seen the new Ironworks, they look nice. You’re probably going to be hard pressed to find anyone that has tried out either of the new adidas shoes since they’re so new. That being said, I love my 04 AdiStars.

What benefits would these offer over say, Chuck Taylors? Chucks have less of a heel. I was under the impression, the less heel, the more you can drive your heels into the ground and produce more power.

With shoes that have a heel, you tend to be leaning forward making it harder to drive out of the hole.

[quote]shuddupNsquat wrote:
What benefits would these offer over say, Chuck Taylors? Chucks have less of a heel. I was under the impression, the less heel, the more you can drive your heels into the ground and produce more power.

With shoes that have a heel, you tend to be leaning forward making it harder to drive out of the hole.[/quote]

It depends on your stance. Generally the narrower you squat the more mechanically advantageous it becomes to get a slight heel lift. A lot of raw/single ply lifters prefer it. And with the heel, most people find they squat to depth more upright, and have to lean over more in a pair of flat shoes.

You lean less with a heel, not more, because it enables the knees and thus the hips to travel further forwards.

I think 3 straps are largely redundant on the Adidas - they’re a narrow fit as it is. The single strap at the top is enough to stop your foot sliding forwards during the jerk.

Strange I always found it the opposite, when going ass to ground, I prefer squatting barefooted or in chucks.

Especially with deadlifts, I find I can drive my heals in to the ground and generate way more force.

Deadlifts in my chucks or bare foot really helps me keep upright to take my lower back out of the movement, rather than leaning forward and using all lower back and risk getting injured.

Odd. Maybe Im just an exception.

Just in case there is confusion here, these shoes are made specifically for the snatch and the jerk.

Under no circumstances would you want to use them on your deadlift. Some guys do like to squat in them, that is a personal preference.

Monopoly

Ah, I see. Thanks for clearing that up mate.

Expensive, but if you are competing in olympic lifts I guess you need to be wearing them.

Nike has some new ones that are bout to come out $150-180.

I have a few friends who compete in Oly lifting at the national level, and they say they’re the bomb.

I wouldn’t spend that kind of money on a shoe, Do wins are just as good and cool looking and work just as good. For powerflitnig style squatting, chucks imo work best as wide stance in heel shoe is awkward. I love squatting in oly shoes, its a preference though not to say one way is better then the other.

[quote]shizen wrote:
I wouldn’t spend that kind of money on a shoe, Do wins are just as good and cool looking and work just as good. For powerflitnig style squatting, chucks imo work best as wide stance in heel shoe is awkward. I love squatting in oly shoes, its a preference though not to say one way is better then the other. [/quote]

For multi ply squats with loads of gear, chucks work well. I wouldn’t be so sure about IPF/single ply gear tho tbh.

I know the big squatters that I train with wear a slight heal. As does most of the best IPF lifters.

Siders has recently switched back to oly shoes too.

[quote]Hanley wrote:
shizen wrote:
I wouldn’t spend that kind of money on a shoe, Do wins are just as good and cool looking and work just as good. For powerflitnig style squatting, chucks imo work best as wide stance in heel shoe is awkward. I love squatting in oly shoes, its a preference though not to say one way is better then the other.

For multi ply squats with loads of gear, chucks work well. I wouldn’t be so sure about IPF/single ply gear tho tbh.

I know the big squatters that I train with wear a slight heal. As does most of the best IPF lifters.

Siders has recently switched back to oly shoes too.[/quote]

Interesting, you definitely have more experience since you actually compete in powerlifting. I think the biggest problem people have with chucks is hitting the right depth, and in IPF its strict about it. Most of the huge 1200lb squats or w/e depth obviously is not perfect so that might be why they stick with the chuck.

[quote]shizen wrote:
Hanley wrote:
shizen wrote:

Siders has recently switched back to oly shoes too.

Interesting, you definitely have more experience since you actually compete in powerlifting. I think the biggest problem people have with chucks is hitting the right depth, and in IPF its strict about it. Most of the huge 1200lb squats or w/e depth obviously is not perfect so that might be why they stick with the chuck. [/quote]

I don’t really think hitting depth in chuck’s is a problem. I can do it without much trouble. I think the reason they “can’t” hit depth is because it’d take too much off their number!!

[quote]ninearms wrote:
You lean less with a heel, not more, because it enables the knees and thus the hips to travel further forwards.

I think 3 straps are largely redundant on the Adidas - they’re a narrow fit as it is. The single strap at the top is enough to stop your foot sliding forwards during the jerk.[/quote]

That’s interesting thanks. I must admit, I like the new Ironworks 2008 but was leaning towards the Adistars 2004 because the 3 straps would give it a snugger fit.

speaking of snugger fit and new kicks:

From general experience, which of the brands of O-lifting shoes are the widest in the foot. And yes the new nikes are supposed to be hot as hell, BUT YOU CANT FIND THEM IN ANY SIZES THAT FIT ANY REAL PEOPLE!!!

they only have like size 16 and size 3.5 on the nike site. ebay isnt much better. Let me know so my wide ass feet can get up in some dope shoes,

-chris

Do-Wins are the widest, especially the VS rebadged ones.

I have really enjoyed Stefan Botev’s line of weightlifting shoes. They’re relatively cheap, and you can get them on the Werksan website.

The newest model Botev shoes look excellent.

They do have a slightly lower heel than the old ones though–closer to the Adidas shoes, whereas the originals were around the same height as the Do-Wins. I have longish legs in proportion to my height, so I like a little more heel.

I’ve purchased a pair of weightlifting shoes a couple months ago to squat in, and I must say I absolutely love it. I can’t compare brands, as I have had only one pair and don’t even know what brand it is (I believe it is from Bulgaria, got it on weightliftingshoes.ca) but I would definitely recommend this type of shoe. I feel “solid” in them.

I squat in a close stance with a high bar placement.