ADHD and Bodybuilding. Advice?

[quote]Chi-Towns-Finest wrote:
Maybe it was over the top, obviously if your talking to dogs and have personality disorders you need meds. I personally know people who have chemical imbalances and manic depressive tendencies that have overcame it without use of prescriptions.

Ritalin and adderol to focus? I was diagnosed with ADHD also, meds are not the only solution.

I remember being depressed in high school and having doctors trying to shove anti-depressants down my throat; I’m glad I didn’t take the blue pill because that opens the door to multiple other meds/prescriptions.

I did include the disclaimer my attitude was controversial, no need for everyone to start barking.

[quote]Bricknyce wrote:
“I have a controversial attitude about medications: unless you are going to run down to the street naked you don’t need to be medicated. All that chemical imbalance shit is broscience.”

Cool story, bro.

After all, all those afflicted with serious psychiatric illnesses–depression, anxiety, various mood and personality disorders and addictions–should all do away with medication and serious psychological counseling. After all, most or all aren’t running down the streets naked nor are they talking to dogs or hearing voices. [/quote]

[/quote]

A) Being diagnosed does not mean you have it. When I walked out with an adderall prescription the first thing I thought was how easy it was. Some Docs are just as over-anxious to diagnose it as people are to say they have it

B) It’s an issue of DEGREE, it’s not as simple as “you have it or you don’t”. Think of it like lactose intolerance where degrees of severity vary widely from person to person.

Some people have a small intolerance and choose to deal with it. Others need lactase or simply can’t ingest it. They are both lactose intolerant but you can’t tell someone who’s severely lactose intolerant to just start “digesting lactose better” by trying harder.

So yea you can live with ADHD but people who ACTUALLY have it will simply not retain as much information or be as productive at work/school without meds. My point is you can’t “make” yourself focus anymore than a lactose intolerant person can make himself digest lactose. If you can, you don’t have ADHD.

[quote]waylanderxx wrote:

[quote]ritzgooch23 wrote:

For me, it doesn’t. there’s other stuff in N.O. that gets ya going. But yes, coffee is much cheaper.[/quote]

You know 'Nitric Oxide" is just L-arginine? Any thing that get’s you going is going to be the added caffeine in the product.[/quote]

N.O. Xplode is what I was referring to. It has a different feeling than just caffeine though. Kinda like Spike… much better than a cup of jo. [/quote]

Sugar + caffeine in an extremely overpriced product that makes you feel empowered upon purchasing it will do that to you!

Placebo is a hell of a drug.[/quote]

How much caffeine is in a serving anyway? Probably way more than one cup of coffee, so there’s your “extra kick”

When he said caffeine initially, he was talking about caffeine pills not coffee.

For me, it doesn’t. there’s other stuff in N.O. that gets ya going. But yes, coffee is much cheaper.[/quote]

You know 'Nitric Oxide" is just L-arginine? Any thing that get’s you going is going to be the added caffeine in the product.[/quote]

N.O. Xplode is what I was referring to. It has a different feeling than just caffeine though. Kinda like Spike… much better than a cup of jo. [/quote]
B
Sugar + caffeine in an extremely overpriced product that makes you feel empowered upon purchasing it will do that to you!

Interesting because my tub shows 0g of sugar. But like I said I don’t really care what “it” is because it’s one product that works well for me without feeling like I’m about to have a heart attack like caffeine pills.

Interesting because my tub shows 0g of sugar. But like I said I don’t really care what “it” is because it’s one product that works well for me without feeling like I’m about to have a heart attack like caffeine pills. [/quote]

Brah! I have some magic beans for a great price if you’re interested…

BTW, what do you think “modified glucose polymers” consist of?

To be fair, there’s some tyrosine and taurine in there, as well as some vinpocetine. And it doesn’t look THAT expensive, but I don’t know how good deals you’ve gotten on caffeine pills.

[quote]kakno wrote:

Interesting because my tub shows 0g of sugar. But like I said I don’t really care what “it” is because it’s one product that works well for me without feeling like I’m about to have a heart attack like caffeine pills. [/quote]

Brah! I have some magic beans for a great price if you’re interested…

BTW, what do you think “modified glucose polymers” consist of?

To be fair, there’s some tyrosine and taurine in there, as well as some vinpocetine. And it doesn’t look THAT expensive, but I don’t know how good deals you’ve gotten on caffeine pills.[/quote]

Lol alright brah. SEE, I KNEW there were some other ingredients. Don’t get me wrong, this isn’t part of my ‘arsenal’. I will buy it on occasion though, maybe like twice a year.

Concerta works differently to Ritalin. It is the same active chemical but it is “slow release”, it has a loading phase and after that to get the positive effects you must take it every day.

As for mixing Ritalin with N.O. its like anything, if you have to ask the question you should be asking a doctor, BUT I have taken ritalin for the best part of 13 years, I wouldn’t have thought it would be a problem. Blue Smarties/Mountain Dew etc will all fuck you up more than N.O

B

Carbs=sugar silly :wink:

I’m just giving you a hard time man lol

Maybe it was over the top, obviously if your talking to dogs and have personality disorders you need meds. I personally know people who have chemical imbalances and manic depressive tendencies that have overcame it without use of prescriptions.
[/quote]

Then you don’t know people with manic depressive tendencies. You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. Literally no idea. You’re words are more than ignorant, they are irresponsible. Talk to any professional who has done a psych rotation and you would be laughed out of their office. Pseudo-intellects are just a hoot.

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:

I have a controversial attitude about medications: unless you are going to run down to the street naked you don’t need to be medicated. All that chemical imbalance shit is broscience.

Learn to cope and focus without it and you will be a better person. It might be hard for a while, but you will be a physiologically stronger individual when it’s all said and done.

Don’t take the blue pill.

[/quote]

This post is retarded. Chemical imbalances are very real.

Treating them with amphetemins, tranquilizers and lithium may not be the best answer but letting something go completely untreated is just as bad for some poeople.

What’s that basis of your opinion?
[/quote]
Lithium actually has a wonderful clinical track record. Only at high dose, does it become less desirable (primarily due to impaired renal Fn)

[quote]egnatiosj wrote:

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:

I have a controversial attitude about medications: unless you are going to run down to the street naked you don’t need to be medicated. All that chemical imbalance shit is broscience.

Learn to cope and focus without it and you will be a better person. It might be hard for a while, but you will be a physiologically stronger individual when it’s all said and done.

Don’t take the blue pill.

[/quote]

This post is retarded. Chemical imbalances are very real.

Treating them with amphetemins, tranquilizers and lithium may not be the best answer but letting something go completely untreated is just as bad for some poeople.

What’s that basis of your opinion?
[/quote]
Lithium actually has a wonderful clinical track record. Only at high dose, does it become less desirable (primarily due to impaired renal Fn)[/quote]

Yeah, Im learning more about this stuff currently for whatever reason. I didnt mean to imply that each of those treatment approaches are on equal ground for everyone. Should have put “or” instead of “and”.

[quote]egnatiosj wrote:

[/quote]

Then you don’t know people with manic depressive tendencies. You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. Literally no idea. You’re words are more than ignorant, they are irresponsible. Talk to any professional who has done a psych rotation and you would be laughed out of their office. Pseudo-intellects are just a hoot. [/quote]

I wouldn’t be in their office.

And, I know multiple manic depressive people. Fact is, no one needed meds until 50 years ago – why the fuck do we need them now? Yeah, there’s a couple loonies who aught to be sedated, always has been, when it comes down to it we are an over-medicated society and I view it as big business. You’re welcome to disregard my opinion.

[quote]egnatiosj wrote:

[/quote]

Then you don’t know people with manic depressive tendencies. You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. Literally no idea. You’re words are more than ignorant, they are irresponsible. Talk to any professional who has done a psych rotation and you would be laughed out of their office. Pseudo-intellects are just a hoot. [/quote]

And, I know multiple manic depressive people. Fact is, no one needed meds until 50 years ago – why the fuck do we need them now?
[/quote]

Because one time a guy sold his 3 month old car for $3000 and took the money and bought over 100 vacuum cleaners while in a manic state. Or a young woman left her house midday, walked ~10 miles and adopted every dog in the animal shelter while in a manic state. If you think that type of behavior makes for a functioning human being then its a wonderful thing that you aren’t going into the medical field.

Bipolar disorder is different than ADHD but youre still ignorant.

[quote]egnatiosj wrote:

[/quote]

And, I know multiple manic depressive people. Fact is, no one needed meds until 50 years ago – why the fuck do we need them now? Yeah, there’s a couple loonies who aught to be sedated, always has been, when it comes down to it we are an over-medicated society and I view it as big business. You’re welcome to disregard my opinion.
[/quote]

1. Lithium has reportedly been used since the 1840s for a wide range of psychological issues. Opiates, barbiturates, thorazine, and amphetamines all have been used for around a century as well. In fact opiates were one of the reasons the FDA came into existance today. You have ZERO understanding of ancient pharmacology. Why do you pretend to hold such knowledge?
  2. We didn’t use protein powders, carbohydrate supplements, pro-hormones, steroids, or any of the other million supplements available today, seventy years ago and people still got big. Why do you use them now? Oh right because we PROGRESS as a society. Do you use electricity? Bottled water? Why? Your great ancestors sure didn’t.
  3. No, you THINK you know BPD patients. You don’t. Either they were misdiagnosed or they don’t understand their diagnosis. There is BPD I, II, cyclothymia, but people dont understand that so they say just Bi Polar.
  4. You are welcome to be absolutely wrong on a subject, just keep it to yourself.

As a sufferer of OCD and to be more specific, pure O, I can see why people would want to be on medication. I have lived life unaware of my disorder for a long time, wondering why I was thinking things I was thinking. The biggest relief was finally knowing what was going on and being able to handle the condition by myself. I can say that I am now living symptom free and function so much better just from self treatment and a complete change in my approach to thought…

However, I would never tell someone suffering from the same thing or another disorder to not get medicated. Fuck, until you’ve lived it you really have no idea how it can be. It is totally caused by chemical imbalances in the brain and can make someone miserable. Medication is great, I would suggest trying an unmedicated appraoch first such as congnitive therapy, but if you can’t cope hop on those meds.

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:

Because one time a guy sold his 3 month old car for $3000 and took the money and bought over 100 vacuum cleaners while in a manic state. [/quote]

You would not happen to know what he planned to do with them?

[quote]orion wrote:

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:

Because one time a guy sold his 3 month old car for $3000 and took the money and bought over 100 vacuum cleaners while in a manic state. [/quote]

You would not happen to know what he planned to do with them?

[/quote]

There was no plan. And he didnt remember doing it a few days later.

B

Carbs=sugar silly :wink:

I’m just giving you a hard time man lol[/quote]

Lol thanks Way.

[quote]egnatiosj wrote:

[quote]egnatiosj wrote:

[/quote]

[/quote]

1. Lithium has reportedly been used since the 1840s for a wide range of psychological issues. Opiates, barbiturates, thorazine, and amphetamines all have been used for around a century as well. In fact opiates were one of the reasons the FDA came into existance today. You have ZERO understanding of ancient pharmacology. Why do you pretend to hold such knowledge?
  2. We didn’t use protein powders, carbohydrate supplements, pro-hormones, steroids, or any of the other million supplements available today, seventy years ago and people still got big. Why do you use them now? Oh right because we PROGRESS as a society. Do you use electricity? Bottled water? Why? Your great ancestors sure didn’t.
  3. No, you THINK you know BPD patients. You don’t. Either they were misdiagnosed or they don’t understand their diagnosis. There is BPD I, II, cyclothymia, but people dont understand that so they say just Bi Polar.
  4. You are welcome to be absolutely wrong on a subject, just keep it to yourself.[/quote]

I hardly consider 1840 acient.

We use supplements to add decent calories to our diet because HFCS, preservatives, and hormones are in all of our food – 70 years ago that wasn’t a problem.

So, meds were used during the last 100-200 years. How about the last 5,000? If you’re such an authority on the timeline on medication use why don’t you write a book about it.

You clearly know more about medications than lifting weights if you’re 178 pounds at 11% bodyfat after nine years of training, yuppie.

[quote]egnatiosj wrote:

[quote]egnatiosj wrote:

[/quote]

[/quote]

4. You are welcome to be absolutely wrong on a subject, just keep it to yourself.[/quote]

I hardly consider 1840 acient.

We use supplements to add decent calories to our diet because HFCS, preservatives, and hormones are in all of our food – 70 years ago that wasn’t a problem.

So, meds were used during the last 100-200 years. How about the last 5,000? If you’re such an authority on the timeline on medication use why don’t you write a book about it.

You clearly know more about medications than lifting weights if you’re 178 pounds at 11% bodyfat after nine years of training, yuppie.

[/quote]
So because 5k years ago, we did not use psychoactive drugs, we don’t need them now? That is really what your argument is going to be? I sincerely hope you are not in fact “Chi town’s finest” because that city is in terrible trouble. Your personality is the reason why I don’t use the internet. You are positively ignorant to facts but maintain a stronghold on your opinion because you are hiding behind a computer screen. Yes, I am of those statistics and I am also in Japan, your ability to discern factual information spreads to all spectra doesn’t it? I certainly couldn’t compare to your Ronnie Coleman like physique.

Personal insults are lousy at covering up a lack of knowledge. Enjoy your Anaconda Protocol, bitch.

To the original poster: If you are concerned about continued use of stimulant medication, I’d say look into some non-pharmacological treatment options. I run a clinic for the treatment of ADHD, and we use a couple of non-medication approaches: neurofeedback and cognitive training.

The research on these approaches demonstrates that they are quite efficacious, and they do not have any of the side effects of stimulant meds. Do some reading on the topic, see if you can find someone in your area, and if you’re interested, go try it out.