ADG's Log

New to lifting and forums so I hope I’m doing this right.

A little background on me: I’ve always been slender and somewhat athletic when I was younger. Life, work, marriage, mothering and I’ve just kind of let myself go over the past few years and became a skinny fat person. My husband, over the past three years, has been inspiring with 130+ lb weight loss and body transformation. It’s time for me to get off my butt and make changes too.

Height: 5’9"
Weight: highest 172, current 165

We are on week 2 of clean eating and already seeing positive results–feeling better, loss of retained water weight, better mood, etc. I’m on Week 1 of Cycle 1 of 5/3/1. I am very new to lifting and this is my introduction. 5/3/1 makes sense to me and is easy for me to follow as a beginner.

1RMs
Military Press: 50
Deadlift: 130
Bench: 70
Squat: 105

Last night’s workout:
Military Press:
30x5
35x5
40x7

Kroc Rows:
15x15 for 2 sets

Pushups:
bodyweight x 10 for 2 sets

I had a rough weekend with migraines and was pretty fatigued last night during my workout. I was gassed by the end, but this morning I feel like I could have pushed myself a bit harder. Felt great after the workout though.

Looking forward to logging here for the input and accountability.

YAY! A beginning log is so much fun, because it’s all just progress, progress, progress. I remember recording my first bench press 1RM number. By the end of the first year I was reppin’ it x8. It was so exciting.

That’s awesome that your husband is on board with the weights and eating clean. Now you can be a team, or maybe just a really small gang!

Powerpuff she has been talking about for a while now but she is all in now! Just in a week of clean eating we both feel better for sure. Plus when she tells earlier today she is excited about going home and doing deadlifts I know she is in!

Today, meals were right on target: 1200 calories, still not feeling hungry, very pleased. Workout felt good and was what I was looking forward to. I’m not moving much weight around yet, but every day is progress.

Deadlifts
85 x 5
100 x 5
110 x 8

Lunges
30 x 8 for 2 sets

Stiff Legged Deadlift
90 x 8 for 2 sets

[quote]Powerpuff wrote:
YAY! A beginning log is so much fun, because it’s all just progress, progress, progress. I remember recording my first bench press 1RM number. By the end of the first year I was reppin’ it x8. It was so exciting.

That’s awesome that your husband is on board with the weights and eating clean. Now you can be a team, or maybe just a really small gang! [/quote]

Thanks Powerpuff. Progress is what I’m looking for right now. I can’t wait to compare where I will be this time next year to where I am now.

Welcome! Glad to see you logging here :slight_smile:

Welcome. Good for you on making the commitment. Your progress is going to be lightning fast!

Welcome!

Just for any body checking in my wife has been side lined with as kicking migraines and has been limited on when she can train. Hopefully she can resume normal programming soon.

OK, back after being seriously sidelined by migraines last week. When I’m sick, all I want is comfort food so my clean eating suffered a bit. I’ve got to better control those cravings when ill. Plus we were out of town over the weekend and I didn’t plan our food enough–lesson learned.

Finally got back in the weight room last night. Only had time for a quick workout so I only did my warmup and main lift last night.

Military Press
warmup
35 X 3
40 X 3
45 X 3

Threw in some pushups for good measure, but was really rushed for time. Regardless of what I was able to do, it felt good to get back in there. Looking forward to more time this evening for my workout.

I actually created an account as I was reading JCMPG’s log and saw his concern for your migraines. I just wanted to share my experience, as I suffer from migraines too. For reference, I’m a 34yr old male and began experiencing migraines when I was 25. At 24, I suffered nasty knee injury and after failed attempts to rehab and return to lifting, I gave up. At that point I began making less than poor eating choices. Long story short, I began experiencing migraines in the following year.

Almost 10 years later, I decided to get back in the gym and change my eating habits. My only set back from lifting was increased migraines… I was determined though and kept pushing. After only a few months I noticed a drastic reduction in migraines. The last migraine that I’ve had was almost 2 months ago. It may also be worth noting that I began drinking water like a whale during this time and I feel like this has contributed a good deal to the migraine reduction, as well as fat loss.

So little is known about migraines and the triggers seem to be different from one person to the next. So, how this applies to me may have no relevance to your situation. However, I felt compelled to share, since our experiences may be similar.

Both, you and your husband are doing a phenomenal job and I wish you both the best.

@Wiex, Thanks for sharing. I can say many of my triggers are allergy, weather, hormonal, and even food related. I hope cleaning up the diet and the increased activity helps further reduce my frequency. Your story gives me hope.

Tonight, we got downstairs to the weights way too late and I didn’t feel like I gave my full effort. I think I’m going to have to suck it up and get up earlier in the morning to ensure I get my lifting in.

Deadlifts:
Warmup
90x3
105x3
115x3

Oof migraines. I had mine for 6 years and almost everyday (if it’s not a migraine, it’s a headache).

I started taking vinpocetine a few weeks ago which has helped, and recently added magnesium to go with it. I still get them, but not as severe which is nice. I also cut out wheat completely last year, which helped with the severity of them.

As for working out, I manage to get myself to do some sort of physical exercise. It distracts me from my head pain, which, I’m sure you know, any distraction is relief… even if it’s for two minutes.