Adequate Volume?

[quote]Br3nt0n wrote:
@ C_C is that correct? benching 180kg*5-10!?!?! 396lb? That’ll take me a while, I don’t like BB bench that much, mainly because I don’t feel I get much pec development from it, I normally opt for DB instead.

@ Sentoguy, good analogy, I have never seen so much improvement so fast compared to the first 4months of training at a gym, and that was after training at home with limited equipment for a year or more. I personally think its because I had changed my routine (incorporated bigger lifts that I previously couldn’t do) and started deloading weeks. Just my experience though.

Also, how come I’ve read in articles by CT and such that a program is only as good as long as you are progressing and that you adapt, I remember CT saying a good program lasts about 6 weeks before you adapt to it. Also in CW’s book Muscle Revolution (which I’ve read) in the program section, his “year long plan” is a cycle of about 5-6 of his workouts which only last about 4weeks.

I’m not trying to argue, but rather I need to be able to prove to myself why what you’re saying above is correct, I don’t want to just listen to any1 who posts on forums and accept it as the be all and end all.

Thanks.[/quote]

DB bench is fine, it may be harder to get as strong at it, but doing somethin like 150-175lb DB x 5-10 would be similar to what C_C recommended.

As for your last question. I think part of the reason authors suggest changing things so regularly is just to confuse you a bit. You SHOULDN’T be doing the exact same workouts for too long straight, but you can make little changes here and there. It might be switching from barbell bench, to DB bench, or just even changing your grip by a couple of inches. You have to find a delicate balance between consistency and variety.

But if you are going heavy for 4 weeks, and then doing high rep work for 4 weeks, and then HFT for 4 weeks, you are just jumping around and aren’t really sticking with anything long enough to make gains.

And yes, you should only do something as long as it is giving you gains, but many times if gains slow, you may need to just eat more, or make a SMALL adjustment.

[quote]Br3nt0n wrote:
@ C_C is that correct? benching 180kg5-10!?!?! 396lb? That’ll take me a while, I don’t like BB bench that much, mainly because I don’t feel I get much pec development from it, I normally opt for DB instead.
[/quote] I was just giving you the numbers on the big 3 for reference. And yes, 180Kg
5-10 pretty much gets you to “huge/tank” status.
The exercises are just examples… DB’s, Machines, all can get you there, and it’s unlikely that you’ll keep doing the same exercises all the time. [quote]
@ Sentoguy, good analogy, I have never seen so much improvement so fast compared to the first 4months of training at a gym, and that was after training at home with limited equipment for a year or more. I personally think its because I had changed my routine (incorporated bigger lifts that I previously couldn’t do) and started deloading weeks. Just my experience though.

Also, how come I’ve read in articles by CT and such that a program is only as good as long as you are progressing and that you adapt, I remember CT saying a good program lasts about 6 weeks before you adapt to it. Also in CW’s book Muscle Revolution (which I’ve read) in the program section, his “year long plan” is a cycle of about 5-6 of his workouts which only last about 4weeks.
[/quote] It’s not necessarily the program’s “fault” if you stop progressing on it.
Also, you can easily create a routine that has an inbuilt rotation of some kind (reps, exercises, whatever) and keep progressing on it for years… Occasionally switch out an exercise you stalled on, etc.

[quote]
I’m not trying to argue, but rather I need to be able to prove to myself why what you’re saying above is correct, I don’t want to just listen to any1 who posts on forums and accept it as the be all and end all.

Thanks.[/quote]
Just a little hint here… People who are earning their money by giving others training info/selling products can’t really tell you how simple things really are. If they did, their source of income would run dry pretty quick… So instead you get program after program after program… All fancy names and 10-syllable words and the most ridiculous exercises…

Besides, I’m not here to convince you to train the way I tell you to. Just throwing a little something out there for consideration. It’s all your decision.