T Nation

Adequate for Gains?

I’m wondering right now if the program I am about to start is adequate to make gains in size and strength. The program is as follows:

Mon: Chest/Triceps
Bench 5 sets x 6 reps
Dips 5 sets to failure
Tricep extensions 5 sets x 6 reps

Thursday: Back/Biceps
Bent-over Row 5 sets x 6 reps
Pullups 5 sets to failure
Barbell curl 5 sets x 6 reps

The legs are worked out 2 to 3 days a week using the 20 rep squat program. I feel like the program above is just too simple but I donno what to add and where to add it. Any help is appreciated.

Ok… not enough info.

Goals?
Height/weight?
Age?
Diet?
Years experience?
Time available?
Equiptment available?
What kind of gains?

[quote]DooMMOoD wrote:
I’m wondering right now if the program I am about to start is adequate to make gains in size and strength. The program is as follows:

Bench 5 sets x 6 reps
Dips 5 sets to failure

The legs are worked out 2 to 3 days a week using the 20 rep squat program. I feel like the program above is just too simple but I donno what to add and where to add it. Any help is appreciated. [/quote]

That’s more than enough. Heck all you really need are the big 3. You got the right idea. Keep it heavy, basic, and consistant. The determining factors will be #1- diet, #2- intensity or effort. Keep it progressive.

Height: 6’
Weight: 196

Goals: add size and strength and get my weight anywhere between 205-210 by March. I figure if I put that much weight on, the size part oughta come with it.

Diet: Uh. I don’t really count calories, but I do eat alot although I know it never hurts to eat more. I drink about a quarter gallon of milk a day and take 1-2 whey protein shakes (20g protein each). I mostly focus on eating lots of calories seeing as how it worked for Mr. Tate. As for time, I have all kinds of time and I have been training the right way for about one year.

I’ld throw in some heavy deadlifts maybe once a week or every two weeks if you find your having trouble recovering from them.

Yeh Doom, good luck. But as far as ‘eating loads worked for Dave Tate’, read ‘the dave tate project’ to see the fallout. Eat loads, of good stuff

[quote]DooMMOoD wrote:

Bench 5 sets x 6 reps
Dips 5 sets to failure

The legs are worked out 2 to 3 days a week using the 20 rep squat program. I feel like the program above is just too simple but I donno what to add and where to add it. Any help is appreciated. [/quote]

Looks good to me.

[quote]DooMMOoD wrote:
I drink about a quarter gallon of milk a day… [/quote]

…also known as a “quart”.

Simple is a good thing. Your plan looks solid for strength/size. Like Go Heavy said adding weight to your lifts as often as possible is the key here.

At some point those low rep lifts are going to start beating you to hell and you will need to throw in some workouts in the 8 to 10 rep range but keep the total reps close. Doing this will add a lot of shelf life to that program.

Another suggestion you might like to try is swapping one of the main pulls for a main press to make each workout a more balanced upper body routine with one emphasizing push and the other pull. Alternating the upper body routines with the squat workouts and rest days as needed would be perfect.

If you can do ass to grass squats and your not using them already I would change to those even if it means lowering the weight. Adding a few sets of heavy barbell calf raises(a great mass builder) on the squat day is also a good idea.

Good luck!