T Nation

Adding Weight to Kegs.

Hey i just recently (5 mins ago) “aquired” a keg. its empty and i estimate that it is 15kg. i want to add weight to it to bring it to somewhere around at least 30/40kg…

how would i go about this, the obvious answer is add liquid, but i cant seem to work out how to get it in.

Scott

This may help

http://www.geocities.com/fightraining/KEG.html

And maybe this

http://www.physics.arizona.edu/~workman/homebrew/Sanke.html

first you go to the hardware store and find a plug. the one I have is about the size of your palm,it has a screw as you turn it the sides expand to form a seal.
once you get your plug then drill a hole in top of your keg to match the size of the plug.
fill it with water, sand, whatever.

Next time ‘acquire’ one thats full (of beer)!

I work for a bar PRing… i was thinking, would they have some means of adding water to it?

Scott

[quote]thosebananas wrote:
I work for a bar PRing… i was thinking, would they have some means of adding water to it?

Scott[/quote]

From the sound of it, it’s a commercial half barrel keg. Which means you need special equipment (beyond the scope of a bar) to refill it. Unless you own a medium to large sized brewery it would be impossible to add water without drilling or altering it in some way.

You just take out the retaining ring, pull the whole valve system, and fill it with whatever you want.

After it weighs what you want, put the valve back in, and put the retaining ring back in.

Took me about 15 minutes from beginning to end, the first time that I did it.

[quote]Uncle Fester wrote:
You just take out the retaining ring, pull the whole valve system, and fill it with whatever you want.

After it weighs what you want, put the valve back in, and put the retaining ring back in.

Took me about 15 minutes from beginning to end, the first time that I did it.[/quote]

Its easier to just buy a rubber cap for abs pipe to reseal the keg.

i dont have any access to Power tools as im at uni.

when i get a free hour i will try out one of the tutorials online.

cheers for all the feedback

Scott

Did you look at the links posted above? It tells you exactly how to do it without using special tools.