Adding Weight to Bodyweight Exercises

Is it neccessary to add weight to exercises like dips and chins once you can do a reasonable quantity? I am currently doing ten sets of three reps but to progress couldnt I simply do ten sets of four? or maybe eleven sets?

Is there a cut off point where your body will not grow unless weight is added and increasing volume is pointless?

[quote]steven alex wrote:
Is it neccessary to add weight to exercises like dips and chins once you can do a reasonable quantity? I am currently doing ten sets of three reps but to progress couldnt I simply do ten sets of four? or maybe eleven sets?

Is there a cut off point where your body will not grow unless weight is added and increasing volume is pointless?[/quote]

Depends on what your objective is. If you are going for endurance, use set progression and add sets. Your other option is to do pryamids, which I just started, and those create a new kind of difficulty.

Another way to change things up is to change grips for chins and pull-ups.

After you find you’re doing a lot of volume, add some additional weight. If you goal is just strength, do less reps and more sets.

10 sets of 3 reps or 3 sets of 10 reps?

If you can only do 3 reps per set you are not ready to add weight.

If you are doing 10 reps per set go ahead and add weight if you want.

How hard is each set of 3? How many can you do consecutively in one set? That seems like an odd rep/set scheme to me.

Treat chins as you would any other lift.

For example, you might do:

BWx8x4 one day

BW+25 x 4 or 5 x 5

BW+35 x 3 x 6 or 7

Or as was mentioned above mix it up within one workout.