Adding Weight for Pull-ups

Maybe I’m crazy, but using a weight belt around my waist when I do pull-ups makes me uneasy. I feel like if I swing a little too much the damn belt’s gonna slide off my waist and go crashing down.

So what I’ve been doing is attaching a big chain to a 45 plate and strapping it around my neck. It’s a long chain so the plate sits between my legs and it feels a lot more secure that way.

Then last night I started to wonder if it has the potential of hurting the vertebrae on my neck. I don’t feel pain, it feels like my traps hold the weight pretty good, but I don’t want to do something that’s going to hurt me in the long run.

Any opinions?

[quote]NoeticFront wrote:
Maybe I’m crazy, but using a weight belt around my waist when I do pull-ups makes me uneasy. I feel like if I swing a little too much the damn belt’s gonna slide off my waist and go crashing down.

So what I’ve been doing is attaching a big chain to a 45 plate and strapping it around my neck. It’s a long chain so the plate sits between my legs and it feels a lot more secure that way.

Then last night I started to wonder if it has the potential of hurting the vertebrae on my neck. I don’t feel pain, it feels like my traps hold the weight pretty good, but I don’t want to do something that’s going to hurt me in the long run.

Any opinions?[/quote]

Not sure if your weight belt has this option, but if you want you can run the chain through the loop on your belt first, which tightens the belt considerably (thus eliminating any ‘loose’ feel to it) and THEN take the chain, run it through the plate, and back up again to be hooked to the belt.

Know what i’m saying? So instead of taking the chain and immediatley putting it through the plate, then hooking it to the belt (which makes the belt pretty loose and kind of forces you to keep your legs out a little to prevent it from sliding down your hips, or at least the feeling that it will slide down), run it through the loop on the end of the belt and then hook it up.

Either that, or just focus a little on keeping your legs spread slightly in order to keep the belt from falling. If you have your legs hanging straight down then yes it will feel like it is slipping. Hope this helps.

I’m not sure how long you can continue to add weight to the chain, while having it around your neck … safely. My guess is not very long.

You can hold a lot more weight around your waist (obviously). If the weight falls down off your waist, then so be it. Put it back on. And I suppose feeling like it is going to slide off and it actually sliding off is two different things.

[quote]MeinHerzBrennt wrote:

Either that, or just focus a little on keeping your legs spread slightly in order to keep the belt from falling. If you have your legs hanging straight down then yes it will feel like it is slipping. Hope this helps.[/quote]

good point; if you keep your legs/hips spread the chain will naturally hang through your crotch

Why don’t you try a dumbbell instead?

Create a small loop with a chain and tip the dumbbell so it is standing upright.

Than just loop the chain around the top of the dumbbell…

If this makes any since? I’ll try to post a pic… It is going to dangle a little bit but it is more comfortable and sturdy than using plates.

You’ll look less hard ass though.

Hanging weight around your neck just scares me very badly.

the weight belt will not slip off. but i prefer to hold a dumbbell between my feet so when i reach failure, i can simply let it go and continue in drop set fashion. same goes for dips.

if you can keep your neck in the proper position then your fine and you’ll have a strong neck

[quote]1morerep wrote:
the weight belt will not slip off. but i prefer to hold a dumbbell between my feet so when i reach failure, i can simply let it go and continue in drop set fashion. same goes for dips. [/quote]

I like this method also, but can’t seem to use alot of weight. It seems soon as I bend my legs, my knees come together and the feet go out too much to hold the weight. Do you hold the dumbell from a position perpendicular to the floor, or horizontal?

[quote]
Know what i’m saying? So instead of taking the chain and immediatley putting it through the plate, then hooking it to the belt (which makes the belt pretty loose and kind of forces you to keep your legs out a little to prevent it from sliding down your hips, or at least the feeling that it will slide down), run it through the loop on the end of the belt and then hook it up.[/quote]

Yeah, that does make sense and sounds like it would work. I’ll try it next time. Thanks!

[quote]1morerep wrote:
the weight belt will not slip off. but i prefer to hold a dumbbell between my feet so when i reach failure, i can simply let it go and continue in drop set fashion. same goes for dips. [/quote]

This also sounds like a good option. I like the fact that you can just let go of the weight to do a drop set. What I’ve been doing is using the assisted chin/dip machine, so when I give out I just drop the foot rest and crank out a few more with the help of the machine.

Holding it with your feet sounds hard though! Bet you get a good shin workout too!

Pssht. Be a man and hold the chain with your teeth. Builds ridiculous jaw strength. Damn amatuers.

Lol. But on a more serious note I wouldn’t want the added pressure on my neck. The belt at my gym has a metal loop and when looped through the plate and loop then hooked onto the chain itself it gets pretty tight and secure. Just gotta play with it for a little and get used to the weight around your waist.

If you have your own dip belt, you can get an extra clasp and clasp the two ends of the belt together for a more secure fit around your waist and hips.

[quote]1morerep wrote:

I do the same. I don’t like the idea of a chain swinging by my nuts

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
1morerep wrote:
the weight belt will not slip off. but i prefer to hold a dumbbell between my feet so when i reach failure, i can simply let it go and continue in drop set fashion. same goes for dips.

I do the same. I don’t like the idea of a chain swinging by my nuts[/quote]

Pussy.

[quote]football061 wrote:
jehovasfitness wrote:
1morerep wrote:

Pussy.[/quote]

Wear a cup. I’m sure nobody will look at you funny if you do this.

[quote]football061 wrote:
jehovasfitness wrote:
1morerep wrote:

Pussy.[/quote]

fine by me. I’ll keep my nuts to be a pussy :wink:

I just double the chain back to the other loop before clipping it on. Same for when I do dips.

does anyone else get a sore lower back with all the extra weight placed on there back?

I don’t have problems with my lower back, but my forearms get really sore.

I do the dumbbell between my legs too because I really don’t think those belts would stay up on my waist, nor are they very fashionable (just kidding!). However, I do find that sometimes the dumbbell slips from my feet and that sucks when you are in the middle of a set.