T Nation

Adding the Snatch and Clean and Jerk

After 1 year of CrossFit I decided to use 5 3 1 and focus on lifting. I just ran young Jim Wendler 5/3/1 for a month and was thinking about going to this template next. I used black iron beast and this would be my first week, the clean and jerk and snatch are in kilograms, all other lifts are in pounds.

The reality of my training schedule is that this program will take me more like 5 or 6 weeks as I work out at home doing conditioning to fill in when I can't get to the gym. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated. I am 32 years old male 165 pounds 5 foot 10. I will do the snatch and clean and jerk as singles at each weight. Also plan on replacing leg curls with dips

Since I can’t turn my computer, what is your question?

If I do this workout will I gain mass and retain flexibility. I substituted dips for leg curls and added the Olympic lifts because I enjoy them.

Will you gain mass? Depends on how you eat.

Will you retain flexibility? Do you currently do DeFranco’s agile 8 or Limber 11? And if it is important to you, you should make it a priority.

You replaced a dip (upper body) with leg curls (hamstrings)???

[quote]Hellomoto wrote:
After 1 year of CrossFit I decided to use 5 3 1 and focus on lifting. I just ran young Jim Wendler 5/3/1 for a month and was thinking about going to this template next. I used black iron beast and this would be my first week, the clean and jerk and snatch are in kilograms, all other lifts are in pounds.

The reality of my training schedule is that this program will take me more like 5 or 6 weeks as I work out at home doing conditioning to fill in when I can’t get to the gym. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated. I am 32 years old male 165 pounds 5 foot 10. I will do the snatch and clean and jerk as singles at each weight. Also plan on replacing leg curls with dips[/quote]

What stands out to me is this, Black Iron Beast appears to be a website and app that just steals from Jim, Brandon, and Mark. Sure, the site tells you to get the book, but who would do that if they could just have the program for free, right?

Do you own the book?

“If I do this workout will I gain mass and retain flexibility. I substituted dips for leg curls and added the Olympic lifts because I enjoy them.”

Gain mass - eat! Read about the principles of Dante Trudell’s. Or you can “CLEAN BULK” and gain .00005 pounds of mass a decade.
Mobility/Flexibility - if you are struggling with this, I recommend Agile 8. Do this AT LEAST 3 times per day. Do it as written.

Don’t sub dips for leg curls.

Those things will help you reach your goals of gaining muscle and improving flexibility/mobility.

replace leg curls with dips, hmm, makes sense.

Thank you for the reply. Eating is definitely my weakest link. I will improve it. I currently do the limber 11/agile 8 before I work out. I will add this more into my daily routine. I will stick with boring but big until I reach my goals on the 4 lifts. After I reach my baseline strength goal I will consider getting back into the Olympic lifts. I’ll do leg curls.
I appreciate the advice.