Adding Shrugs Onto Stuff

Quick question - is there any harm in adding a shrug on top of a trap bar deadlift to work the traps more? My max is only around 300 lb so it shouldn’t be too taxing, and I’m thinking of just doing it on the 70-75% weeks. I’ve also recently combined it with farmer’s carries, so that every couple of deadlift reps I walk with it for around 20 metres.

Same with OHP - should I be shrugging at the top?

If this is what you need to do to reach your goals, you should do it. If not, you should not.

Dont do with OHP or can piss off shoulders. Deadlifts etc should be fine

[quote]T3hPwnisher wrote:
If this is what you need to do to reach your goals, you should do it. If not, you should not.[/quote]

That’s a good way of looking at it, cheers.

[quote]RampantBadger wrote:
Dont do with OHP or can piss off shoulders. Deadlifts etc should be fine[/quote]

I was confused about it because Rippetoe and some others recommend shrugging at the top of the lockout in OHP, but others are saying it’s bad for the shoulders, especially if you have forward rotation (like I do). I’ll just add it to the deadlifts since that seems less controversial. Thanks.

I don’t get how you can shrug a weight which would have any meaningful effect as a deadlift, let alone walk it around. WTF dude?

But what is your goal? Is it to make yourself tired? Is there some sort of deadlift + shrug + farmers walk event you’re training for? If you want to get additional work for the traps, it would be better to just do shrugs after whatever you’re doing so you can focus on getting a quality contraction.

[quote]tsantos wrote:
I don’t get how you can shrug a weight which would have any meaningful effect as a deadlift, let alone walk it around. WTF dude?[/quote]

During the 70% weeks it’s only around 200 lb. I do a 3x5 deadlift and walk it on the last 2 reps of every set (there and back). On the harder weeks I’ll cut out the shrugs and cut the walk or decrease the distance.

[quote]dt79 wrote:
But what is your goal? Is it to make yourself tired? Is there some sort of deadlift + shrug + farmers walk event you’re training for? If you want to get additional work for the traps, it would be better to just do shrugs after whatever you’re doing so you can focus on getting a quality contraction.[/quote]

My goal is just progressive, overall strength increases without raising my bodyweight too much. Not really training for anything, but I like big bang for your buck exercises and strongman type movements. I’m currently trialing the DL + FW combo but I haven’t had any soreness and it doesn’t interfere with my other activities. I expect as my DL increases I won’t be able to do this kinda stuff (3x5 deadlifts + FW, 3 times a week), but at the moment my recovery has been good.

Yeah, I might just tack shrugs on separately at the end, but I figured I may as well kill two birds with one stone like this.

I think the confusion stems from people wondering why you don’t just use the extra energy to do more reps or lift more weight on, you know, deadlifts. It’s really en vogue to say “I like big, basic exercises” but apparently you don’t like them enough to just stick to them - instead, you ask if you can do “deadlifts with a shrug and superset with farmers walks” instead.

[quote]nighthawkz wrote:
I think the confusion stems from people wondering why you don’t just use the extra energy to do more reps or lift more weight on, you know, deadlifts. It’s really en vogue to say “I like big, basic exercises” but apparently you don’t like them enough to just stick to them - instead, you ask if you can do “deadlifts with a shrug and superset with farmers walks” instead.[/quote]

The program I’m on is designed to leave something in the tank for extra conditioning work. I used to do the farmer’s walks at the end of the workout as a finisher but I figured I may as well add them into my working sets. It’s not really a superset since I’m still resting 5 min between sets, it’s just extending the last 2 reps by about 10 seconds each. As long as the deadlift form isn’t compromised, I’m recovering well, and the lift is progressing, does it really matter?