Adding Satty Fat

[quote]Adzo wrote:
Organ meats.
Cheap, tasty, nutritious and fatty. [/quote]

Beef liver is actually a great source for cholesterol. It also has cytochrome P450 in it which is necessary for T production.

There’s also beef liver tablets out there; from what I understand, Solgar’s dessicated liver tablets are one of the best.

Heart is the cheapest decent meat I’ve found. Beef, lamb, and chicken are all amazing.
Haven’t tried pig heart yet, but I’m sure if you cubed it up and fried it with bacon and onions it would be all good.
Beef liver isn’t to common here though, it is on the to do list.

We don’t have the luxury of a butcher, but maybe he has scraps of that stuff you can but for cheap? Also, if you are really searching (I’ll try and help, I have it bookmarked somewhere) is a national list of organic and freerange farms. I’m fairly positive I got it from John meadows website. I know all these places work close with local butchers, especially those that raise cattle. I can even get rabbits around me (rabbit liver is supposedly amazing).
Hopefully one man’s trash is for you to grab lol

http://www.westonaprice.org/local-chapters/find-local-chapter

[quote]paulieserafini wrote:
NEW QUESTION.

okay so a few of you have been reccomending plant sources of satty fat.

I already take coconut oil (which are very different from saturated fats from animal sources)

the reason I specified animal fat is because it contains cholesterol which no vegetable fats contain.

now I don’t know much about fat and cholesterol so maybe some of you can enlighten me.

Most hormones are created from cholesterol…the biggest one I am concerned about is Testosterone.

I know your body can make cholesterol from fats and carbs can influence what types of cholesterol is made by the liver.

does it matter if you’re intaking any extra dietary cholesterol? Can this help testosterone levels by increasing cholesterol consumption (keeping fat consumption the same, but JUST increasing cholesterol alone)
[/quote]

This is a really good question, and one that personally is fascinating me at the moment (before you asked it). With most humans, the vast majority of blood cholesterol seems to be created by the body, and there seems to be some tendency for the body to increase and decrease production of said cholesterol based on how much cholesterol you’re eating – which is why, in most humans, dramatic changes to dietary cholesterol might often only change one’s blood cholesterol levels by 10% or less.

Right now, I suspect that it’s pretty close to impossible to prove any claims that some people make when they say that dietary fat will up testosterone. That might change in the future.

However, I do have a suggestion if you want to do any self-experimentation. Instead of eating random animal fats, aim for biggest sources of cholesterol – specifically, things like…

egg yolks (and caviar…but that might not be very cost-effective)

shrimp & shelfish

liver

milk fat (butter, cheese, cream)

What is kind of interesting about shrimp/shellfish, egg yolks, and liver, is that they have FAR more cholesterol than many foods with far more animal fat. This allows you to maximize your cholesterol intake while still keeping your calories from dietary fat to a more manageable level. If that’s a concern to you.

Of course, you should keep it in the back of your mind that there might be a connection between cholesterol and heart disease. There’s still a lot of debate on the matter (and no solid conclusions either way), but I would feel a bit irresponsible telling you how to maximize your cholesterol without at least mentioning that there was still a health debate relevant to this topic…