Adding Olympic Lifts to 5/3/1 Program

So ive been doing the 5/3/1 for about 3 weeks, about to deload and end the first cycle. Its a great program and i already feel myself getting stronger. I have an interest in adding in Olympic lifts (Clean,Snatch, maybe C&J) and some of the assitance Oly.lifts into my program. I know your not supposed to mix and match but id love to add these excersises to add explosive power. My question is would it be advisable to add these into my program and if so where should i put them in my workouts throughout the week to optimize my results.

Heres what week one looked for me (1st,2nd,4th week Trimutive, 3rd week Boring but Big)

Mon.- Bench Wedensday- Deadlift Friday- OHP Saturday- Squat

asst.- DB Rows 5x10 Good Mornings 5x10 Chin/Pull-Ups 5x10 Walking/Db Lunge 5x10
DB Press 5x10 Leg Press 5x10 DB Bench 5x10 Back Ext. 5x10
Tri-Ext 5x10 Hanging leg 5x10 Tr-Pushdwns 5x15 Sit-Ups 5x20

Suggestions would be much appericiated

Lets go Blackhawks!

Sorry the text above was jumbled :frowning:
All assitance work is 5 sets of 10 reps, except abs which are 20 reps a set

Monday-Bench

DB Press
DB Rows
Tri-Ext

Wed.-Deadlift

Good Mornings
Leg Press
Hanging Legs

Friday-OHP

DB Bench
Chin-Ups
Tri-Pushdwn

Saturday- Squat

Back Ext
Lunges
Sit-Ups

Jim suggests that you can do cleans before squatting or dead lifting, 5/3/1 style. Maybe you can replace OHP with clean and jerk or snatch? Then do OHP for 5x10 afterwards. I personally think of OHP day as “upper body lift that’ll help my bench the most” day. If you feel that clean and jerk would help, go for it.

This is in the book. Put them before squat/deads. That being said, I question if you really should be adding them or if you just have training ADD. Wendler does change his assistance often, but I don’t really know your training history or anything. I’m finding that the less I change things and more consistent I am with things, the more results I see out of them and the more I understand how my training works.

Also, doing 531 for three weeks amounts to nothing, that is only the first cycle. You haven’t even changed your training maxes yet. The program is meant to be run for at least 6 months to a year for results to show. I compare one month to the next to break PRs. IMO, that’s the point of 531. Break PRs every month. At the end of 12 months, you’ll likely be at least 50 pounds stronger on the big 3.

[quote]gorangers0525 wrote:
Maybe you can replace OHP with clean and jerk or snatch? Then do OHP for 5x10 afterwards.[/quote]

The rest of your post was good, but I’d recommend against this. I’d keep OHP running on the 5/3/1 periodization. I’d favor getting stronger on strict presses. And I doubt doing snatches are a bench assistance movement.

on ohp day, clean each rep
do snatches on bench day
do cleans before squats
do 1 hand BB cleans before deads

just do them

[quote]TisDrew wrote:

[quote]gorangers0525 wrote:
Maybe you can replace OHP with clean and jerk or snatch? Then do OHP for 5x10 afterwards.[/quote]

The rest of your post was good, but I’d recommend against this. I’d keep OHP running on the 5/3/1 periodization. I’d favor getting stronger on strict presses. And I doubt doing snatches are a bench assistance movement.[/quote]

You may be right, but there are many olympic lifters that are able to bench press a lot of weight without even training it. Most likely from push presses than snatches but it’s worth a try. For some people the OHP has little to no carryover to the bench.

those olympic lifters have got to the point where a strict 100kg ohp is an easy warmup