Adding Oly to 20 Minute Muscle Builder

Hi CT,

How would you incorporate oly lifts into the 20 minute muscle builder routine? Lets say that we have 30 minutes instead of 20 minutes (10 minutes for oly lifts). I was thinking of doing the following for the first 10 minutes of each workout:

Workout 1
A. Snatch: 5x1 ramping to as heavy as possible with good form
B. Clean pull + hang clean (knee): 5x(2+1)

Workout 2
A. Snatch pull + hang snatch (knee): 5x(2+1)
B. Clean and jerk: 5x1 ramping to as heavy as possible with good form

Workout 3
A. Snatch 5x2 ramping to 90% of heaviest single from Workout 1
B. Clean pull + hang clean (hip): 5x(1+1)

Workout 4
A. Snatch pull + hang snatch (hip): 5x(2+1)
B. Clean and jerk: 5x2 ramping 90% of heaviest single from Workout 2

Workout 5
A. Snatch: 5x1 ramping to as heavy as possible
B. Hang clean (hip) + hang clean (knee): 5x(1+1)

Workout 6
A. Hang snatch (hip) + hang snatch (knee): 5x(1+1)
B. Clean and jerk: 5x1 ramping to as heavy as possible

What do you think? Thank you!!

Actually when I first designed that plan it wasn’t as a whole system or something to be done for those who are short for time. It was because I wanted to find a way to get my bench press back up once I switched back to olympic lifting. I didn’t want to devote 2 full days per week to the bench press or spend too much time on it. So I started doing the Muscle in 20 minutes scheme for the bench press every other day at the end of my OL workouts.

So yeah it works.

However it wont be muscle in 20 minutes anymore since doing the OL will extend the workout.

CT,

My primary goal of including Oly’s isn’t to compete, rather to add something to enhance athletic capacity. They develop explosiveness, coordination, and body awareness.

Since my goal isn’t to compete and since I don’t have a coach, would you recommend substituting the snatch and clean and jerk for power snatch and power clean + jerk? Since it is less technical.

How would you add 10 minutes of explosive lifting before the 20 minute muscle builder? What level of RPE would you set these at?

Also, might it be advisable to change the deadlift/military press workout to ass2grass squat/military press in light of the “deadlift-life” snatch and power clean additions?

[quote]Seinix wrote:
CT,

My primary goal of including Oly’s isn’t to compete, rather to add something to enhance athletic capacity. They develop explosiveness, coordination, and body awareness.

Since my goal isn’t to compete and since I don’t have a coach, would you recommend substituting the snatch and clean and jerk for power snatch and power clean + jerk? Since it is less technical.

How would you add 10 minutes of explosive lifting before the 20 minute muscle builder? What level of RPE would you set these at?[/quote]

If you do the power variations, still go down into about a half squat when you catch the weight. That way you will build the habit of going under the bar and if you decide to switch to the full lifts you’ll have a much easier time than if you catch the bar with minimal knee flexion.

10 minutes is a tad low for explosive work. It takes almost that to have the nervous system firing optimally. You need about 5-7 minutes of bar work just to get the body optimally ready to perform on the explosive lifts.

I would suggest 5 sets of 3 reps on snatches (1 light set, 2 sets with a moderate weight, 2 sets with a somewhat challenging weight) and 5 sets of 3 cleans + 1 jerk (same load progression as snatch), doing snatch one day and clean & jerk the other day.