Adding Muscle When Cutting?

Hey guys, Im basically after a yes or no question here.
If you were to start a cutting phase say for like 12 weeks, this would mean u would have to be in a slight calorie deficet, and since you need a calorie surplus to add lean muscle, does this mean in that 12 week cutting phase you would not add even the slightest minuet piece of lean muscle tissue?

If you’re a beginner it is possible to add a little bit of muscle while losing fat. Otherwise probably not

you may add the “slightest minute piece of lean muscle tissue” as long as your strength is going up

just don’t expect any miracles

especially if your cut is 12 weeks long. i guess it goes by how radical your cut is. if you just have to lose a little fat, then yeah, you might gain a bit of muscle. if you have to lose a lot of fat and you’re going for it the fastest way possible, you probably won’t gain muscle.

theoretically yes, if your nutrient timing happens to be exactly right for your body so that you gain muscle when momentarily in calorie and nutrient surplus then burn fat when in deficit without losing the recently gained muscle.

You’d have to ‘know’ exactly when and what to eat and do, so that somehow you would be micromanaging you body environment hour to hour optimally.

Therefore, in practical terms: no!

Thanks for the replies,that is how I thought it worked anyhow but always good to know for sure.
I guess it would be best to not worry to much about gaining any muscle in that 12 week period and just get lean and then to that maintenence level and then very gadually add some calories to start growing lean muscle while staying ralatively lean

There is a direct inverse relationship between fat loss and muscle gain. The more extreme your diet, the less likely you are to gain muscle while losing fat (and may even lose muscle on severe diets).

That said, if you are new the inverse relationship isn’t as severe and it will be easier to accomplish both goals.

[quote]gswork wrote:
theoretically yes, if your nutrient timing happens to be exactly right for your body so that you gain muscle when momentarily in calorie and nutrient surplus then burn fat when in deficit without losing the recently gained muscle.

You’d have to ‘know’ exactly when and what to eat and do, so that somehow you would be micromanaging you body environment hour to hour optimally.

Therefore, in practical terms: no![/quote]

Good post.

Yep, ok. Well I’m a Pro motocrosser so I wouldn’t say I was new to liftig cause you definately need strength and a bit of muscle on your bones to compete at that level…That said…you also cant get that big cause we do alot of cardio plus you would probably puff out quickly lol.

My race season basically goes for the first 6 months of the year and training is mostly spent on the dirtbike and running at that time.

Then with the following 6 months I spend the first 3 trying to gain some mass and the last 3 leaning out ready for next season.
Well thats always the plan, but injuries nearly always F that up.
So I guess I could nearly accomplish both since I dont lift all year round huh.