T Nation

Adding Metamucil to Whey Shakes?

Just wondering, its a good source of fiber and we need that as well as all that other happy shit, and I have it laying around the house.

It’s all powder right? Sorry if this has been addressed before.

It is good unless you are using it for pre or post workout and want fast absorption. Fiber is good most other times of the day. If you do not get enough fiber from diet then it is a good source of fiber.

It’s psyllium, which I don’t think is one of the best choices of fiber, and at least some versions of it have sugar added. Don’t know if yours does.

Personally I think using some inulin, if the protein powder doesn’t already have it, and adding some chia seeds (whole or ground, just a matter of personal preference) is a much better way to go.

The absolute best I ever found is a product from Life Plus.com called Colon Formula. They used to refer to it as their “biggest moving” product. They suggest using it 2x a days, after a week or so your protein shake.

I tried chia seeds, and all it seemed to do was make an expensive mess.

All you have to do is add right before drinking and shake, or if adding beforehand, shake well beforehand and then again before drinking.

I don’t know, if you’re talking about bowel movements, which isn’t of interest to me but will be to many, what may be best for that is not necessarily the same as best for moderating rate of glucose uptake, best for providing nutrients to beneficial microorganisms, or best for providing other benefits such as omega-3 content.

I didn’t assume scanzler was talking about bowel movements, but of course, he could have been so I should have said that Metamucil seems well-liked by many for that.

As a Type II diabetic I am very concerned with slowing sugars from entering my bloodstream. Further the Colon Formula has a very large amount of valuable enzymes for intestanal health. With our first most important muscle being our heart, our second most interest is a healthy GI system which will keep us healthier and be of top of the line assistance to bodybuilding efforts. Also I do not work for Life Plus, but do use some of their products.

[quote]Bill Roberts wrote:
It’s psyllium, which I don’t think is one of the best choices of fiber, and at least some versions of it have sugar added. Don’t know if yours does.

Personally I think using some inulin, if the protein powder doesn’t already have it, and adding some chia seeds (whole or ground, just a matter of personal preference) is a much better way to go.[/quote]

What’s the issue with psyllium?

[quote]cpcloud wrote:
Bill Roberts wrote:
It’s psyllium, which I don’t think is one of the best choices of fiber, and at least some versions of it have sugar added. Don’t know if yours does.

Personally I think using some inulin, if the protein powder doesn’t already have it, and adding some chia seeds (whole or ground, just a matter of personal preference) is a much better way to go.

What’s the issue with psyllium?[/quote]

I’m interested in the answer to this as well.

It’s not an “issue” against it but rather it lacks features that inulin and chia seeds have.

Inulin helps support beneficial flora in the GI tract. So far as I know psyllium doesn’t.

Chia provides generous amounts of alpha-linolenic acid, an omega-3 fatty acid, which in turn the body makes EPA and DHA from. (And doesn’t taste bad doing it!) Psyllium doesn’t.

Lacking features that other things have to me makes something not “the best.”

[quote]Bill Roberts wrote:
It’s not an “issue” against it but rather it lacks features that inulin and chia seeds have.

Inulin helps support beneficial flora in the GI tract. So far as I know psyllium doesn’t.

Chia provides generous amounts of alpha-linolenic acid, an omega-3 fatty acid, which in turn the body makes EPA and DHA from. (And doesn’t taste bad doing it!) Psyllium doesn’t.

Lacking features that other things have to me makes something not “the best.”[/quote]

Ok, that clarifies it, I was thinking something about the type of fiber used was the culprit.

I have been looking for Chia ever since Shugart wrote about it, but unfortunately nobody carries it (yet) in Finland. If anyone knows a good store that has the ground version and ships internationally, let me know.

C

Look up vitacost.com and see if they ship internationally.

You will find a site that will ship chia seeds to Finland.

They text message money (electronic transfer) in war-torn African countries, for God’s sake. There is a site out there that ships chia seeds to you…

What about flax seeds? I buy them whole (you can find them in any supermarket) and grind them in my coffee grinder, enough for a few days, and store it in the freezer. Good for the omega 3s, I’m not really up on the fiber in them, though they should be good for that. I always add a few tbs to my oatmeal or shake.

[quote]AlanAlpha wrote:
What about flax seeds? I buy them whole (you can find them in any supermarket) and grind them in my coffee grinder, enough for a few days, and store it in the freezer. Good for the omega 3s, I’m not really up on the fiber in them, though they should be good for that. I always add a few tbs to my oatmeal or shake.[/quote]

Using flax already (milled). Was just looking for Chia b/c of the better fat profile.

Ponce, Vitacost seems to ship to Finland, and they also seemed to have a good deal on the Chia meal.

Got to play a bit with shipping, 1 tub = $50 in shipping cost…

Thanks,