Adding Mass to the Middle Chest

Was wondering if anyone had any pointers on getting youer middle chest more fuller. I’ve tried a closer grip on my bench, cable crossover. Haven’t had much luck. Chest has always been my weakness. Im really strong in my chest, just have problem of gaining…maybe its genetics…???

Not sure on the answer, but genetics has little to nothing to do with the size of your chest. It has more to do with the shape, but not the size.

This is from Poliquin’s recent QoS:

Q: Is there really anything you can do to target certain areas of the pecs like upper and lower? For example, incline bench presses hit the “upper” pecs; dips and declines target the “lower” pecs. Any truth to those old bodybuilding beliefs?

A: Actually, there is. Now, you will find some research that says that it’s not true, but those studies were done with Radio Shack equipment and aren’t reliable.

The truth of the matter is, there’s a great percentage of electrical activity in preferential heads of the pectoralis. In other words, the clavicular (upper) portion will be recruited more during inclines, and the sternal (lower) portion will be recruited more during the decline bench press.

But it’s a percentage of the contribution; certain exercises don’t target one-hundred percent of the lower or upper pecs. So, the clavicular head still works somewhat during decline presses. The percentage of recruitment is merely shifted with certain exercises. It’s the same with biceps. When someone does incline curls, the long head of the biceps is more recruited, but the short head is still working.

Now, with chest work, the further the hands are up in relation to the center of gravity, the more the clavicular pectoralis is recruited. And the further the hands are near the center of gravity, the more the sternal pectoralis is recruited. So, theoretically, dips will recruit more of the sternal pectoralis than the decline press. In that way, you can think of the dip as an extreme decline press.

All that said, there’s no such thing as the middle or inner chest, so obviously that nonexistent area can’t be recruited by flyes or pec deck.

Gain more weight. Gain more strength on the bench press.

Hint: There is no ‘middle’ chest.

[quote]super saiyan wrote:

All that said, there’s no such thing as the middle or inner chest, so obviously that nonexistent area can’t be recruited by flyes or pec deck.
[/quote]

Sadly, I doubt most will read this far.

Gain more muscle. This line of thinking usually comes from people who barely carry enough muscle for anyone to know they lift. I am not sure why “gain more muscle” doesn’t occur to them long before they ask these questions.

Similar problem, similar situation, what i have found has begun to help is to focus on incline press on smith machines, with a barbell and with dumbbells, I have begun to see some improvement but it is early days yet and only time willt ell if this method works or not, try and see what you think.

[quote]premium.fitness wrote:
Similar problem, similar situation, what i have found has begun to help is to focus on incline press on smith machines, with a barbell and with dumbbells, I have begun to see some improvement but it is early days yet and only time willt ell if this method works or not, try and see what you think.[/quote]

So you saw several posts before your own informing him that you can NOT build up your inner chest without growing a bigger chest period…and you, as a self proclaimed beginner, decided this wasn’t true?

[quote]Professor X wrote:
premium.fitness wrote:
Similar problem, similar situation, what i have found has begun to help is to focus on incline press on smith machines, with a barbell and with dumbbells, I have begun to see some improvement but it is early days yet and only time willt ell if this method works or not, try and see what you think.

So you saw several posts before your own informing him that you can NOT build up your inner chest without growing a bigger chest period…and you, as a self proclaimed beginner, decided this wasn’t true?[/quote]

I wouldn’t question him, his avatar is clear cut evidence of how his methods work.

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:
Professor X wrote:
premium.fitness wrote:

So you saw several posts before your own informing him that you can NOT build up your inner chest without growing a bigger chest period…and you, as a self proclaimed beginner, decided this wasn’t true?

I wouldn’t question him, his avatar is clear cut evidence of how his methods work.[/quote]

BRUTAL!!! but true…

Not at all i merely stated that i had a similar problem with the inner chest, if research shows that you cannot target a specific area of a major muscle group then who am i to disagree?

What i meant was that whilst people do train different areas of the pectoral muscle, exercises such as incline and decline press, flyes, flat bench, incline and ecline flyes, the reality is that one exercise will target the entire muscle in theory but it may be some time before it evens out to give that smooth look, rome wasnt built in a day after all.

What i suggested is that these exercises for me personally have begun to help speed up this process in the same way that varying your workouts helps prevent you hitting a plateu with your training.

And for the record, i never stated I was a beginner, im willing to listen and im willing to learn as i work in the fitness industry and am always open to new ideas and methods.

[quote]super saiyan wrote:
This is from Poliquin’s recent QoS:

Q: Is there really anything you can do to target certain areas of the pecs like upper and lower? For example, incline bench presses hit the “upper” pecs; dips and declines target the “lower” pecs. Any truth to those old bodybuilding beliefs?

A: Actually, there is. Now, you will find some research that says that it’s not true, but those studies were done with Radio Shack equipment and aren’t reliable.

The truth of the matter is, there’s a great percentage of electrical activity in preferential heads of the pectoralis. In other words, the clavicular (upper) portion will be recruited more during inclines, and the sternal (lower) portion will be recruited more during the decline bench press.

But it’s a percentage of the contribution; certain exercises don’t target one-hundred percent of the lower or upper pecs. So, the clavicular head still works somewhat during decline presses. The percentage of recruitment is merely shifted with certain exercises. It’s the same with biceps. When someone does incline curls, the long head of the biceps is more recruited, but the short head is still working.

Now, with chest work, the further the hands are up in relation to the center of gravity, the more the clavicular pectoralis is recruited. And the further the hands are near the center of gravity, the more the sternal pectoralis is recruited. So, theoretically, dips will recruit more of the sternal pectoralis than the decline press. In that way, you can think of the dip as an extreme decline press.

[/quote]

Not quite sure how this didn’t end the thread.

[quote]And for the record, i never stated I was a beginner, im willing to listen and im willing to learn as i work in the fitness industry and am always open to new ideas and methods.
[/quote]

lol you never had to state that you are a beginner.

oh and why is your hand down your shorts in your avatar?
EDIT: or … was…

I was at the age where i thought i was the hard man looking at it now i am seriously embarassed which is why it has been deleted and i currenty beating myself for ever thinkin that lol…kids these days ay

Not at all i merely stated that i had a similar problem with the inner chest, if research shows that you cannot target a specific area of a major muscle group then who am i to disagree?[/quote]

You think we are just relying on research to come to that conclusion? The internet should be shut down in some of your homes just so you stop thinking like this.

[quote]

What i meant was that whilst people do train different areas of the pectoral muscle, exercises such as incline and decline press, flyes, flat bench, incline and ecline flyes, the reality is that one exercise will target the entire muscle in theory but it may be some time before it evens out to give that smooth look, rome wasnt built in a day after all.[/quote]

This again shows your level of inexperience, which leads to ask why you felt the need to inform someone else when you don’t have much of a clue yourself. You are a newb. You didn’t have to say it. I knew it even before you changed that avatar for the 3rd time.

You CAN train your upper and lower chest. There is no “inner and outer” chest.

I was at the age where i thought i was the hard man looking at it now i am seriously embarassed which is why it has been deleted and i currenty beating myself for ever thinkin that lol…kids these days ay [/quote]

I don’t want you to be that embarrassed. I just don’t understand what possesses newbies to GIVE advice when they should be listening more and TAKING it from people with more experience.

I don’t want you to be that embarrassed. I just don’t understand what possesses newbies to GIVE advice when they should be listening more and TAKING it from people with more experience.[/quote]

I think it’s because alot of newbies (like myself) spend alot of time reading everything they can on in the internet… and they want to share what they’ve read… even if they have nothing to show for it. lol

basically im under the ideas that if i give advice and it recieves this kind of response then i no that what i am doing is wrong and i need to change it.

I appreciate that there are people out there like yourself who know a hell of a lot more than I do and as i have stated before hand i am always open to listen and learn just as this guy is for opening this topic in the 1st place.

When i was on my course i was told that you could not target that upper and lower pectoral and that flat bench was the best to do, however after doing my own research i no that this is bollocks but i was not aware until now frankly that you couldnt target the inner and outer sections of the muscle

[quote]jeremymoore82 wrote:
Was wondering if anyone had any pointers on getting youer middle chest more fuller. I’ve tried a closer grip on my bench, cable crossover. Haven’t had much luck. Chest has always been my weakness. Im really strong in my chest, just have problem of gaining…maybe its genetics…???[/quote]

???

Do to popular belif there is a middle to you Pecs its the sternal head/fibers. They run from the sternum, which is at the center. This can be targeted from flat bench press, flies, and the pec deck.

Another good one too which Ive used is Combo dumbbell/cable press. Here is the link for a good chest specilized program http://www.T-Nation.com/readArticle.do?id=1236824.

Also the other head/fibers Clavicular head, upper chest, Sternal head, and costal head/fibers, lower chest.

As everyone else has said adding mass will help.

super saiyan wrote:

Sadly, I doubt most will read this far.

Gain more muscle. This line of thinking usually comes from people who barely carry enough muscle for anyone to know they lift. I am not sure why “gain more muscle” doesn’t occur to them long before they ask these questions.

[/quote]

I already lost count of how many times ectos with not much muscle came to me and asked me what makes him look bigger, developing the anterior or posterior deltoid, which is better squat or deadlift (the most annoying), build biceps or triceps.

I say: gain pounds of muscle and they refuse to acknowledge this as true. But the coolest question is: what supplements do I NEED to use to gain muscle. Anyone here finds this familiar?