Adding Knurling to a Bar?

[quote]KBCThird wrote:
Matt, where can I buy skateboard grip tape? How heavy have you gone with this?
[/quote]

Anywhere that sells skateboard stuff, grab your closest 9 year old and ask them haha. You can get it online pretty easy too, its real cheap.

[quote]Doug Adams wrote:
Limbic wrote:
KBCThird wrote:
Does anyone know if it’s possible to add knurling to a bar once the bar has already been made? I assume the knurling is just engraved into the bar by the manufacturer, so is there anywhere that I’d be able to take a bar too and have them add knurling?

KB, I think the manufacturers use hydraulics to stamp the knurling into the bar.

Knurling is done on a piece of machinist equipment called a lathe. It’s like a drill press turned on the side, and the piece of material spins instead of the bit. Get the piece of stock spinning, line up the knurling bit to the depth you want the pattern etched, set the length of the pass, and let it go. We had these at the high school I went to, they just weren’t the size to do this to a barbell. As mentioned before, the shape of the chambered bar would make a job like this unlikely.

Sounds like the tape idea is the way to go.

[/quote]

You could do individual rings on a lathe, but not anything resembling a cross hatch pattern that makes up knurling. Anything like a weight bar that is produced in reasonably high production volume isn’t going to use a machining operation (unless it’s really expensive). I find it much more likely that the knurling is either pressed or roll formed. In addition to making the piece price cheaper, there could actually be a strength gain in roll forming. If you notice the knurling is actually raised from the flat surface of the bar, not lowered. If they were machined in the knurling would be lower than the flat surface of the bar.

Sorry for the hi-jack, I digress.

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:
You could do individual rings on a lathe, but not anything resembling a cross hatch pattern that makes up knurling. Anything like a weight bar that is produced in reasonably high production volume isn’t going to use a machining operation (unless it’s really expensive). I find it much more likely that the knurling is either pressed or roll formed. In addition to making the piece price cheaper, there could actually be a strength gain in roll forming. If you notice the knurling is actually raised from the flat surface of the bar, not lowered. If they were machined in the knurling would be lower than the flat surface of the bar.

[/quote]

Agree.

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:

[/quote]

Knurling is absolutely possible on a lathe, and is done all the time. It is very simple with a knurling tool and a servo-driven automatic feed. The cutter does not stay in the same place, it is moved along the bar to create a pattern. Lathes wouldn’t be very useful if all they could do was individual rings.

It wouldn’t surprise me to find out that some cheaper, mass produced bars are pressed, but historically bars were made using a lathe, and I’m positive that at least the higher quality ones still are.

Enjoy:

[quote]tedro wrote:
DoubleDuce wrote:

Knurling is absolutely possible on a lathe, and is done all the time. It is very simple with a knurling tool and a servo-driven automatic feed. The cutter does not stay in the same place, it is moved along the bar to create a pattern. Lathes wouldn’t be very useful if all they could do was individual rings.

It wouldn’t surprise me to find out that some cheaper, mass produced bars are pressed, but historically bars were made using a lathe, and I’m positive that at least the higher quality ones still are.

Enjoy:
Knurling - Wikipedia [/quote]

It still says they generally roll it, not cut it on a lathe as previously described. Rolling is what raises the material (the kind you see on weight bars).

On another note, it mentions there is a hand tool you can use to add knurling.

If the skate board tape does not work
you can can have the bar sand blasted.

A glass place, or glazier could do it,
or a body shop you want them to blast it with
aluminum oxide - just the parts you need
not the whole thing, so you might need to mask
it with painters tape.

It will give a finish like sand paper,
be pretty inexpensive and last forever.
and it will look pretty awesome.

kmc

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:
It still says they generally roll it, not cut it on a lathe as previously described. Rolling is what raises the material (the kind you see on weight bars).

On another note, it mentions there is a hand tool you can use to add knurling.
[/quote]

The rolling is only used to describe the tool used to form the knurl. Both cutting and rolling of knurls are still done on a lathe. To roll, you just put these in your tool holder:
http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/GSDRVSM?PMTYPE=KEY&SISMNO=5402973&SIZZNO=22477727&SIS0NO=915536&SIPCNO=0002010557&SISRC=KG&SISRCH=2&SILEVL=3&SISHNO=0&SILSEQ=1&SIOR=1&SIT4NO=47405998&SIOR=1

Instead of these, which cut knurls:
http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/GSDRVSM?PMTYPE=KEY&SISMNO=5402973&SIZZNO=22477727&SIS0NO=913624&SIPCNO=0002003366&SISRC=KG&SISRCH=2&SILEVL=3&SISHNO=0&SILSEQ=3&SIOR=1&SIT4NO=47405998&SIOR=1

Now, the hand tool is new to me, I had never seen one of these before so I looked it up.

KBC, it appears the hand tool will do exactly what you want. You will have to call around to several machine shops in the area to find somebody that has one. Refinishing is still a must. If your bar just has a black oxide finish, it can easily be redone. You can get a black oxide kit at most hardware stores, but a professional will do a better job. You machine shop will surely know somebody that can refinish it properly, so talk to them.

[quote]Luca76PSU wrote:
JimMcD wrote:
Here’s one in use. Ours has skateboard tape on it.

Well I guess I don’t need to say “skateboard tape, supertraining uses it on theirs” but you are to skinny to not get told again[/quote]

Rhodes and Vincent can call me skinny because they’re stronger than I am … what’s your excuse?

[quote]KBCThird wrote:
Luca76PSU wrote:
JimMcD wrote:

Well I guess I don’t need to say “skateboard tape, supertraining uses it on theirs” but you are to skinny to not get told again

Rhodes and Vincent can call me skinny because they’re stronger than I am … what’s your excuse?[/quote]

You’re skinnier than me … the same reason I call Rhodes skinny.

I’ve never tried to knurl a bar, but I have done other metal items with a checkering file:

Would be a fair amount of work to do it by hand, but if you only want a few lines and a few inches, could be an idea.

Just use the tape, I did it to my bar.

[quote]Luca76PSU wrote:
KBCThird wrote:
Luca76PSU wrote:
JimMcD wrote:

Well I guess I don’t need to say “skateboard tape, supertraining uses it on theirs” but you are to skinny to not get told again

Rhodes and Vincent can call me skinny because they’re stronger than I am … what’s your excuse?

You’re skinnier than me … the same reason I call Rhodes skinny.[/quote]

Well, as long as Rhodes gets the same treatment.

Thanks all, I’m gonna give the tape idea a shot after I talk to the owner of the bar this weekend.

They do make handknurlers. www.martindaleco.com/pdfs/Electricians_Hand_Tools/Knurling%20Tool.pdf We use them at work for small od’s but this one goes up to 1 1/8".