T Nation

Adding Fat to Slow Cooker

I often cook chicken breasts with lots of broccoli in my slow-cooker. However, I want to make these into P+F meals and add some calories, so can anyone recommend ingredients that I can throw in with that stuff that would add some healthy fats, and not make it taste like ass? Thanks.

Olive oil - you might want to add it after the food is cooked.

Raw nuts - almonds, walnuts, pecans can be used in cooking easily.

You may want to consider getting healthy fats in another way rather than trying to add it to the slow-cooker.

Maybe have a salad with some olive oil/balsamic vinegar or make a side that contains your healthy fats.

Don’t be afraid of some butter or coconut oils either (the saturated fat isn’t bad for you).

You could just use a fattier meat. Chicken thighs, beef chunks, pork ribs, etc.

How long do you cook the chicken and broccoli for? And on high or low temp?
I need some easy crockpot ideas. Do you add some liquid to this as well?

BTW, slow-cooked broccoli??? I would stick with root vegetables in the crock pot and steam/saute your broccoli separately. Then you can top it with cheese, nuts, EVOO, etc. adding your fats that way.

[quote]k8thegr8 wrote:
I need some easy crockpot ideas. Do you add some liquid to this as well?[/quote]

I usually cook it for 8 hours on low. That way I can set it before I go to bed, and it’ll be waiting for me when I get up. I’ll add a can or two of some sort of soup, maybe cream of chicken or broccoli cheese, just for some flavor. I’ve honestly never experimented with any other combos of time and temp level, just because I’m afraid to screw it up and end up with a batch of nastiness.

[quote]Kruiser wrote:
BTW, slow-cooked broccoli??? I would stick with root vegetables in the crock pot and steam/saute your broccoli separately. Then you can top it with cheese, nuts, EVOO, etc. adding your fats that way.[/quote]

Yeah I know, broccoli isn’t the best thing to slow cook. It usually comes out as green mush. But it tastes decent, and I don’t usually like broccoli so this way I can kind of enjoy it.

Plus, I’m kinda lazy when it comes to cooking, and I’m typically forced to eat it in the car when I’m at work, so it works out pretty well. Thanks for the input though, cheese would work pretty well.

[quote]vtkess02 wrote:
k8thegr8 wrote:
I need some easy crockpot ideas. Do you add some liquid to this as well?

I usually cook it for 8 hours on low. That way I can set it before I go to bed, and it’ll be waiting for me when I get up. I’ll add a can or two of some sort of soup, maybe cream of chicken or broccoli cheese, just for some flavor.

I’ve honestly never experimented with any other combos of time and temp level, just because I’m afraid to screw it up and end up with a batch of nastiness.
[/quote]

thanks, not sure about the mushy broccoli but I’ll try the chicken at least.

http://lowcarbcooking.org/viewrecipes.php?category=Crock%20Pot%20Recipes

I got this from another thread. It has a lot of recipes and some of them seem to be pretty good. Of course, you can always modify the recipes a little to achieve the nutritional content you desire.

[quote]pzehtoeur wrote:
http://lowcarbcooking.org/viewrecipes.php?category=Crock%20Pot%20Recipes

I got this from another thread. It has a lot of recipes and some of them seem to be pretty good. Of course, you can always modify the recipes a little to achieve the nutritional content you desire.[/quote]

thanks!