Adding Extra Training to OL Routine

Right now I’m training the olympic lifts three times a week, go to wrestling practice twice a week, and run and condition 2 or 3 times a week. I was thinking I should add in some extra lifting a few days a week working the muscles that you don’t hit hard in olympic lifting.

I was thinking bench, chins, dips, rows. I can do this extra lifting at lunch during school so I’ll have enough recovery time. Is this a good idea? Are there any other exercises I should add?

thanks
Nick

Best advice I can give with the info provided is to start going slow first. Don’t add stuff too quickly so you don’t end up crashing on too much volume increase in too little time.

What are you trying to improve?

I do 2x a day splits but I try and have the upperbody conditioning stuff on non OLift days as I get too pumpeda nd it affects my lifts in the evening.

OR on Saturdays I do the chin ups after a technical exercise on my OLift session. It doesn’t affect me on pulls doing chin ups.

But as hockechap14 has stated ease in to the training. OR have a full schedule but don’t do too many sets. Say only 2 training sets and after 2-3 weeks add in one set on a day and build up your volume.

Koing

[quote]hockechamp14 wrote:
Best advice I can give with the info provided is to start going slow first. Don’t add stuff too quickly so you don’t end up crashing on too much volume increase in too little time.

What are you trying to improve?[/quote]

I’m trying to improve strength and quickness. I’m also doing Olympic lifting to learn proper form on squat, deadlift, overhead press and power clean because I would be comfortable doing these on my own.