Adding Dextrose to PWO Shake?

Just wondering if there is a big difference between using Surge post workout or having a shake like this:

scoop of protein
two scoops of All natural dextrose
BCAA powder

it equals roughly 25g protein and 40-45g of carbs

the reason im doing this is the dextrose is much cheaper than ordering Surge all the time so i just add some BCAA and protein with it and have a good PWO shake i believe. Because doesnt Surge just use maltodextrin or something along the lines of that for the carbs in that?

[quote]schanz_05 wrote:
Just wondering if there is a big difference between using Surge post workout or having a shake like this:

scoop of protein
BCAA powder

the reason im doing this is the dextrose is much cheaper than ordering Surge all the time so i just add some BCAA and protein with it and have a good PWO shake i believe. Because doesnt Surge just use maltodextrin or something along the lines of that for the carbs in that? [/quote]

First, what’s “all natural dextrose”? Dextrose is dextrose, excepting for stereochemistry, when manufacturers even bother to mention it.

Surge kicks ass.

[quote]schanz_05 wrote:

scoop of protein
BCAA powder

the reason im doing this is the dextrose is much cheaper than ordering Surge all the time so i just add some BCAA and protein with it and have a good PWO shake i believe. Because doesnt Surge just use maltodextrin or something along the lines of that for the carbs in that? [/quote]

If you really can’t afford Surge, then for a basic PWO shake, use the following as a rough guide. It’s what I used to shoot for before Surge came out.

50 gms carbs - 1/2 dextrose, 1/2 isotonic mixture containing mainly maltodextrin.

25 gms protein - Any reputable Whey protein concentrate.

5 gms creatine monohydrate - creapure preferably

5 gms - L-glutamine

If you have BCAA powder, then obviously add that too.

[quote]schanz_05 wrote:

scoop of protein
BCAA powder

Not really. Maltodextrin is very quickly broken into dextrose by enzymes in your intestine. VERY quickly.

By all means do this if you can stomach the taste! :slight_smile: (Maybe add a packet of kool-aid or something?)

Surge is like the Bugatti Veyron.
Whey/Gatorade is like a Mustang.

Both Veyron and Mustang go pretty fast.
Veyron goes faster. :wink:

Dextrose isn’t the issue; it’s the protein. If you’re using whey hydrolysate and can stand the taste, then your drink is fine.

Here’s more info:
http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=459463

I am using optimum whey… it says it is - HydroWhey Hydrolyzed Whey Peptides… is this the same thing as hyrdolysate whey?

[quote]orinoco wrote:
schanz_05 wrote:

scoop of protein
BCAA powder

the reason im doing this is the dextrose is much cheaper than ordering Surge all the time so i just add some BCAA and protein with it and have a good PWO shake i believe. Because doesnt Surge just use maltodextrin or something along the lines of that for the carbs in that?

If you really can’t afford Surge, then for a basic PWO shake, use the following as a rough guide. It’s what I used to shoot for before Surge came out.

50 gms carbs - 1/2 dextrose, 1/2 isotonic mixture containing mainly maltodextrin.

25 gms protein - Any reputable Whey protein concentrate.

5 gms creatine monohydrate - creapure preferably

5 gms - L-glutamine

If you have BCAA powder, then obviously add that too.[/quote]

The inclusion of Whey protein concentrate in the above PWO shake was purely on cost grounds. For the cash starved, Hydrolyzed Whey Protein is a bit pricey… and as for Isolate, I would imagine that the small amount of extra fat in the concentrate isn’t going to affect the speed of absorbtion. Plus concentrate will contain proteins in the fat that are beneficial health wise.

But it would seem you already have whey protein hydrolysate (which is obviously the best choice) so it’s a moot point.

[quote]schanz_05 wrote:
I am using optimum whey… it says it is - HydroWhey Hydrolyzed Whey Peptides… is this the same thing as hyrdolysate whey?[/quote]

Unless it tastes like crap, there probibly isn’t much hydrolyzed whey in there.
However, the taste can still be tolerable, even though it tastes like crap.