T Nation

Adding Carbs to Post Workout Shake

I am trying to add more carbs to my diet plan, looking around there is a lot of choice, dextrose, maltodextrine, waxy maize starch… Thought of adding 50g of this to my post workout shake to up my carbs and help with energy and recovery also. But which I should go for is baffling me, any advice?

Lots of articles here on the subject, including post wo drink is dead.

TC wrote most of them.

Start there.

Personally use fruit such as bananas, pineapple etc (150g or so) in conjunction the 30-50g whey and and an organic egg. FOR ME, this works best as those particular fruits have a favorable glucose to fructose ratio (3/1 glucose) and a host of other vitamins and minerals that help in regards to recovery and general health.

Generally my next meal may be 1.5 to 4 hours later (I often train trice a day, so after my bigger AM shake at around 7.am I would have my next meal at 11.am- this shake will often have some m-casein in it as well and be higher protein, like 50g+)

I’ve never been a fan of Maltodextrin or pure glucose. Gives me the shits ;0)

Just my 2 cents, try an few protocols and see what works for you

Moog

I use a serving of gummy bears to spike my insulin along with a whey protein powder. Though important to remember to eat a real full meal about an hour after this post workout meal. Whey protein is in and out in 45 minutes