T Nation

Adding Carbs Back to Diet

I’ve been using a low-carb diet for about 15 weeks now, and while I’ve noticed a great amount of fat loss, I’d like to start building up muscle again, hopefully without gaining fat in the process.

I was wondering how I should begin to add back carbs into my diet? Specifically, the timing of said carbs and the carb sources?

Thanks in advance

I would follow this: http://www.T-Nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance_diet_nutrition_bodybuilding/getting_unshredded

I think you should just increase total cals and keep carbs at what they are now.

i was under the impression that everyone felt that a low carb bulk was leaving something on the table if you will…

low carb bulking is not the way to go IMO. a ketogenic environment is not conducive to muscle gain.

If for some reason you REALLY have trouble with a carb-based diet, I would eat 100g of carbs on off days, spread evenly throughout the day (say 25g per meal), then add and additional .5g of carbs per lb total body weight plus about 1/3 as much protein around your workout on weight training days.

make sure to get .8-1g of protein per lb and the rest of your calories from a mix of fats.

The easiest way that I have found to reintroduce carbs is starting with the first real meal post workout, and breakfast.

Then you can slowly increase the amount of carbs that you are eating at other meals. Stay away from the usual stuff, this is the worst time to consume shitty food.